Dell Inspiron 11z Discussion on Dells 11.6inch "notebook", the Dell Inspiron 11z

(#11) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 01:48 PM

Look for an Intel drive (or an intel drive rebranded as Kingston... M series I think). If you DO an Intel drive, make sure you get a G2 drive as it will support TRIM commands (without the huge explanation, it clears the unused cells to improve performance) while the G1 will not (Intel SUCKS for this). Other than Intel, look for Indilinx Barefoot controllers... stay away from the Samsung or JMicron controllers... they are inferior. Indilinx controllers will give you great sequential (large file) write speeds, and good random write speeds (small file, everyday use). Intel drives give great random write speeds and okay sequential write speeds (G2 gets 100MB/s under ideal conditions, where Indilinx drives do twice that). Personally, if not for the price, I would get an Intel drive. Since they have not come down in price (yet), if I were to get one now, I would get an OCZ Vertex, Crucial, Patriot Torqx, or most any other big name using the Indilinx controller.

Anandtech has some really good SSD articles... might check them out.
  (#12) Old

Default 10-30-2009, 07:39 PM

Microcenter currently has the OCZ Vertex 30GB for $127 (after rebate) which looks like a good deal.
  (#13) Old

Wink I Just put in a SSD - 10-30-2009, 09:46 PM

Dude.. I just put in a ssd. The scorpio green would not come out of its tray so I removed the whole piece. I put in an old 64gb OCZ Core series 1. This drive is known for its stuttering issues but it is working fine. In vista system scored my ssd at 5.9. You definately need 64 gb or bigger. I've just reinstalled vista on the ssd with all the dell drivers and software. Then I deleted the camera avatar (170 megs) among other things I didnt need. I installed avg, itunes, vlc, bittorrent, aim, steam, xmarks.. My hard disk is 61% full at 34.57 gb full.
  (#14) Old

Default Bench marks - 10-30-2009, 10:22 PM

Has anyone run benchmarks on the 11z (SU4100) with a SSD? Actually any bench marks on the 11z at all? I can't seem to find any...
  (#15) Old

Default 11-03-2009, 08:23 PM

What benchmarks would you like? I'm running Win7 Ultimate x64. I can run whatever you like and post the results.

EDIT: I am not using a SSD though. 250GB here.

Cheers,
Charlie

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmeyer5 View Post
Look for an Intel drive (or an intel drive rebranded as Kingston... M series I think). If you DO an Intel drive, make sure you get a G2 drive as it will support TRIM commands (without the huge explanation, it clears the unused cells to improve performance) while the G1 will not (Intel SUCKS for this). Other than Intel, look for Indilinx Barefoot controllers... stay away from the Samsung or JMicron controllers... they are inferior. Indilinx controllers will give you great sequential (large file) write speeds, and good random write speeds (small file, everyday use). Intel drives give great random write speeds and okay sequential write speeds (G2 gets 100MB/s under ideal conditions, where Indilinx drives do twice that). Personally, if not for the price, I would get an Intel drive. Since they have not come down in price (yet), if I were to get one now, I would get an OCZ Vertex, Crucial, Patriot Torqx, or most any other big name using the Indilinx controller.

Anandtech has some really good SSD articles... might check them out.
Moreover, make sure that if you have the money you spring for a SLC (single line cell) SSD. The OCZ 60GB SATAII @ Newegg is $409, but you'll get considerably better sustained read/write speeds and much longer lifespan.

Cheers,
Charlie

True mercy is never earned.

Desktop: Phenom II X4 960T 3.0GHz (unlocked to X6)|8GB 1600 DDR3|500GB|Radeon HD 6750|Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Notebook: Inspiron 1121|Core i3-330UM|8GB 800 DDR3|320GB|Intel HD Graphics|Windows 7 Pro x64
  (#16) Old

Default 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstaats View Post
What benchmarks would you like? I'm running Win7 Ultimate x64. I can run whatever you like and post the results
Hmm, 3Dmark and PCmark if you have them?

If not don't worry, I will stick out some results when I get my 11z. (If Dell ever update my order status...) TBH I am starting to get worried after seeing the thread about Dell trying to hide the 11z on their site...

Edit for spelling..and again..
  (#17) Old

Default 11-04-2009, 04:45 PM

I'm nabbing both of those now and I'll post later with some results.

Cheers,
Charlie

Desktop: Phenom II X4 960T 3.0GHz (unlocked to X6)|8GB 1600 DDR3|500GB|Radeon HD 6750|Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Notebook: Inspiron 1121|Core i3-330UM|8GB 800 DDR3|320GB|Intel HD Graphics|Windows 7 Pro x64
  (#18) Old

Default 11-04-2009, 07:19 PM

I'm running PCMark05 and 3DMark06 right now. The PCMark05 test is almost complete. I'll post screenshots of the results once both tests are complete. The post will be in the Benchmarks thread of this forum. (Link To Thread)

Cheers,
Charlie