Dell Latitude 2100 Discussion on the Dell Latitude 2100, a rugged 10-inch netbook released to the educational market.

(#11) Old

Send a message via MSN to sortageek Send a message via Skype™ to sortageek
Default 06-12-2009, 10:03 AM

Mine has the 5300... should I send it back?

Notebook: Dell Studio 1735 | Vista Ultimate x64 | 4G DDR2 | 2x 250G 7200RPM HDD | 1440x900 | Bluetooth
Netbook: Dell Mini 9 Obsidian Black | XP Home | 2G DDR2 | 32G RunCore SSD | Bluetooth
On Order: Dell Lattitude 2100 Chalkboard Black | Atom N270 | XP Home | 2G DDR2 | 160G HDD | 1024x576 Touchscreen | Bluetooth
  (#12) Old

Default 06-12-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortageek View Post
Mine has the 5300... should I send it back?
That depends on what you have ordered... The 5300 is the best and most expensive choice for the 2100. If you've got it, keep it

Dell Inspiron Mini 10 | Atom Z530 | Windows 7 Ultimate (Build 7600) | 1 GB RAM | 500 GB WD Scorpio Blue | 1366x768 HD Screen | Bluetooth | Intel WLAN 5100 | Webcam | TV Tuner (European DVB-T) | 3G (European WWAN 5530 with GPS [Ericsson Chipset]) | German keyboard layout | 3 & 6 cell battery
  (#13) Old

Default 06-13-2009, 07:05 PM

The 5300 wasn't availible when I ordered, but it doesn't matter. It's almost exactly the same chipset, it just has an additional antenna connector. In any case, packet injection and kismet do indeed work well on a 5100, among other things. I installed the new version of kismet (With the fancier gui!) the other day, and it's pretty cool. I know wardriving is SO year 2000, but it makes it a very valuble network testing/troubleshooting tool. The gigabit ethernet doesn't hurt either
  (#14) Old

Default 06-28-2009, 10:04 AM

Do you like your touchscreens? Is it useful in web surfing and office applications?
Thanks in advance ))
  (#15) Old

Default 06-28-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golova View Post
Do you like your touchscreens? Is it useful in web surfing and office applications?
Thanks in advance ))
As far as I'm concerned, the touchscreen is a must-have! It's great for the next/back buttons, changing tabs, etc. Many web pages are easy to use with the touchscreen, and a lot of applications are designed with large, easy to click buttons. They are supposed to be easy to click with a mouse, but they are VERY easy to click with a touchscreen. The only problem I have run across is scroll bars, which may be too narrow to be used if they are at the edge of the screen. Bear in mind, my experiences are in Ubuntu. I suspect the scroll bars will be easier in Windows, but some of the buttons may be harder to use. (I think they are smaller, but I'm not sure.) Another problem is if you get the touchscreen, you will notice yourself trying to poke buttons on other computer screens. Not good.

Good luck with your new netbook!

Inspiron E1505 (Silver/White)
Latitude 2100 (Blue Ribbon) w/Touchscreen and WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Want Ubuntu on your 2100? Get your sound and touchscreen working!
Tech blog: Broken Hive Mind
  (#16) Old

Default 06-29-2009, 01:42 AM

Question about the touchscreen: how do you right-click?

Also, what's the best way to clean it?

I'm continually amazed at the lack of decent documentation with this computer.

Latitude 2100n | Schoolhouse Red | Windows XP Pro | 2GB RAM | 250GB HDD | Touchscreen | Webcam | External DVD/RW | Bluetooth
  (#17) Old

Default 07-02-2009, 02:09 AM

im excited to get my hands on my 2100 and will post as many images and good stuff that I can as I work on it...

Dell Mini 9 : 32gb ST SSD : MacOSX 10.5.7 : Black
  (#18) Old

Default 07-02-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLF View Post
Question about the touchscreen: how do you right-click?

Also, what's the best way to clean it?

I'm continually amazed at the lack of decent documentation with this computer.
If running linux, the evtouch driver is supposed to support some options for right click, but I've found the best option is turning on accessibility in Ubuntu 9.04 and turning on click and hold for right click. I'm not sure about windows, but Vista has a similar option for tablets.

(#19) Old

Unhappy Fail! - 09-03-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntc.tig View Post
My Latitude 2100 arrived today! WOO! However, it had the wrong wireless card in it. I was supposed to get an Intel WifiLink 5100, but instead got a Broadcom BCM4322. It's still 802.11abgn, but I want the 5100 because monitor mode works with it. Otherwise, this machine is excellent. I will be sure to take lots of pictures when I have to take the machine apart when the new wireless card arrives. (6/11/2009)
9/2/2009: My Latitude 2100.....HAS A DEAD TOUCHSCREEN!
It shows up as an unknown USB device in both Windows and Linux. The touchscreen components of the display are pretty sparse. There is one extra cable which is stripped down USB, connected to a connector on the motherboard that appears unused in the service manual. The Latitude 2100's service manual as of today does not have any information that I could find on how to replace the touchscreen, so I was pretty much guessing until I had the whole thing apart.

Once I dismantled the display assembly and got the bezel off, it became clear which parts were for the touchscreen. There is the resistive touchscreen overlay with a small ribbon cable on it, a small board with the connector for the touchscreen itself, and a long cable (by internal standards) that runs from the small board onto the motherboard. I reseated all of these cables and checked for obvious breaks and stuff like that, but found none. Upon reboot, the touchscreen was briefly detected correctly, but died again on the next reboot after that.

I used Dell's hardware chat to relay this info to dell. After telling them that I was a Dell Certified Hardware tech (for my job), and my troubleshooting steps, they are sending me a screen assembly and a motherboard (just in case it's the connector on the motherboard that failed). I'll try to document the repair as I do it, showing what cable went where, etc.

(#20) Old

Default 09-05-2009, 02:31 AM

I replaced the system board and now the touchscreen is working again! \o/ yay!

Tags
latitude, latitude 2100, netbook