Windows XP The default Windows installation, Discuss tips, tweaks, drivers and more!

(#1) Old

Default Problems with Outlook - 05-07-2009, 10:42 AM

I run office 2007 on my Mini 9 and I use Outlook as my PIM and email client. Outlook really grinds and I was wondering whether anyone had tips for alternatives or ways of improving the performance.

I run an exchange server at home and am loathed to use a different e-mail client that uses POP as this reduces the effectiveness and means that e-mail, diary and contancts would not be synchronised across my computers and Windows Mobile.

I also use outlook in cached mode to ensure that I have offline access to my contacts and e-mails, which is quite important as I use my mini a fair amount on the tube where I'm not able to connect to internet.

Suggestions tips etc greatly appreciated

Josh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Mini 9: Black, Windows 8 Beta, 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD , 32GB SDHC, Mobile Broadband
  (#2) Old
Super Moderator

Default Re: Problems with Outlook - 05-07-2009, 12:07 PM

I had the same problem, but I just stopped using cached Exchange mode. That seemed to be the problem. You might look to see if there are any cached Exchange mode performance tweaks, but off the top of my head, I'm not aware of any.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#3) Old

Default 06-25-2009, 08:54 AM

I run an exchange setup and Outlook is a complete hog as far as disk access is concerned, particularly in cached mode.

Turning off pre-fetching if you are on XP (but not super fetch) will help Outlook performance, another thing that can help is to make a ram disk and place any ost or pst files there, but this can be problematic.

Basically, if you can change to another client (Thunderbird?) and use IMAP you will be better off.

Black Mini 9, 2gb Ram 32Gb SSD running Mac OS X 10.6
  (#4) Old

Default 11-13-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjasper View Post
I run an exchange setup and Outlook is a complete hog as far as disk access is concerned, particularly in cached mode.

Turning off pre-fetching if you are on XP (but not super fetch) will help Outlook performance, another thing that can help is to make a ram disk and place any ost or pst files there, but this can be problematic.

Basically, if you can change to another client (Thunderbird?) and use IMAP you will be better off.
As a matter of fact I tell you short story, about my experience with Outlook emails. Once I opened my Inbox and didn't see any emails. I was shocked and understood that it was a virus. Luckily for me a friend suggested an one software, which easily resolved my trouble and maybe will solve this one - outlook 2000 pst repair tool.