FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#21) Old
robgarth robgarth is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 4
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default This is great - 05-15-2009, 05:40 AM

Just want to post this is awesome. I cannot find the original thread, but I could not tether to my iphone (3.0) via Bluetooth. Would fail during pairing and Bluetooth would then be switched off until I removed the Bluetooth Preferences and restarted.

I applied this fix, and I can tether - fantastic!

Thanks.
  (#22) Old
Richdmoore Richdmoore is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 104
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default 05-15-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar View Post
Tried it but seems to give alot of depandacies errors.
First i have an europian Dell Mini (netherlands) and the Product ID and Vendor ID are the same as in starting post.
Ran your script and this was the outcome:

(Removed for clarity's sake)

Rebooted, but turn bluetooth off is still grayed out.
The BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext does exist in the /Extra/Mini9Ext folder now with correct IDS.
Also it says: Bluetooth module with Vendor id 16700 and device id 688 added which seems to be incorrect.
I just tried to go to terminal and drag the script over, and it did the same thing with all the error messages. Rebooted, and no change. At least I didn't break the dell 9 by attempting this.

Added Info: I tried using the second zip file on page 2, still didn't work and it gave this message:

Last login: Thu May 14 23:38:07 on console
Hackbook9:~ Rich$ /Users/Rich/Downloads/bluetooth_patcher-1.sh
Unable to locate bluetooth module, using default vendor 16700
Unable to locate bluetooth module, using default device 688
Password:
sed: 1: "/System/Library/Extensi ...": invalid command code L
sed: 1: "/System/Library/Extensi ...": invalid command code L
------
Bluetooth module with Vendor id 16700 and device id 688 added
Please reboot for changes
Hackbook9:~ Rich$

Edit #2: I couldn't figure out how to restore using terminal, I couldn't find an option in DellEFI1.1 to regenerate the ktext cashe (or an option marked updateextra.) I'm sure it's there, but maybe it is called something else? I was also not sure which ktext file I needed to delete (Broadcom I would guess?)

Anyway, I could follow the DellEFI 1.1 install FAQ, but this is over my head. I'm using time machine to restore to a known good configuration, and I'll wait until I hear other people who get the on/off working on the Dell 9's bluetooth.

It's still great that people are working on the last few things that need fixing on this machine. (Bluetooth on/off, the Microphone jack are the only things I can think of that are left to get working on this machine.)
  (#23) Old
hussainx hussainx is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 16
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default 05-15-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richdmoore View Post
I just tried to go to terminal and drag the script over, and it did the same thing with all the error messages. Rebooted, and no change. At least I didn't break the dell 9 by attempting this.

Added Info: I tried using the second zip file on page 2, still didn't work and it gave this message:

Last login: Thu May 14 23:38:07 on console
Hackbook9:~ Rich$ /Users/Rich/Downloads/bluetooth_patcher-1.sh
Unable to locate bluetooth module, using default vendor 16700
Unable to locate bluetooth module, using default device 688
Password:
sed: 1: "/System/Library/Extensi ...": invalid command code L
sed: 1: "/System/Library/Extensi ...": invalid command code L
------
Bluetooth module with Vendor id 16700 and device id 688 added
Please reboot for changes
Hackbook9:~ Rich$

Edit #2: I couldn't figure out how to restore using terminal, I couldn't find an option in DellEFI1.1 to regenerate the ktext cashe (or an option marked updateextra.) I'm sure it's there, but maybe it is called something else? I was also not sure which ktext file I needed to delete (Broadcom I would guess?)

Anyway, I could follow the DellEFI 1.1 install FAQ, but this is over my head. I'm using time machine to restore to a known good configuration, and I'll wait until I hear other people who get the on/off working on the Dell 9's bluetooth.

It's still great that people are working on the last few things that need fixing on this machine. (Bluetooth on/off, the Microphone jack are the only things I can think of that are left to get working on this machine.)


I was having the same issues, originally was rusty with terminal so didn't know how to use the editor and the script wasn't working but I finally got it working. I'll try to cover it in as much detail as possible for my fellow noobs. It may seem advanced but its not that hard.

1. First thing was the restore the bluetooth module by using the DellEFI 1.1 "Fix Bluetooth" custom option.
2. Restart and make sure the bluetooth is on and USB Legacy is off in the BIOS.
3. No boot in "Safe-Mode". This is explained below. If you know it skip to 6.
(In DellEFI 1.2a i've read this is done by holding SHIFT but I haven't tried this)
4. When you get to the darwin x86 countdown press enter to get the the boot list of available partitions (i.e. Mac HD in my case).
5. You will see a sort of command prompt that says "boot:".
6. type "-x" after the "boot:" so you get "boot: -x" in the bootloader and press enter.
Now your system should load in Safe-Mode and we're almost there.
7. Open Terminal and enter:

"sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext/Contents/Info.plist"

,as mentioned in the original post. It should ask for your password so enter this.
PLEASE NOTE: if you are copy pasting, do this thru "Text Edit" so the whole string is copied as the forum seems to add "Returns" to get the formatting right so the terminal editor doesn't load the info.plist in the end directory. I stupidly had this problem so maybe its just me. :P

8. Now the terminal editor should load exactly like the picture shown below.
Please make sure you get this screen otherwise check that the string you used above was complete with no spaces so as to actually load the existing info.plist

9. Press "Control+W" (This is the where is or find function) and search for 33301.
(From what I have seen all the original dell bluetooth modules have the same ID's)

10. When you find 33301 simply use backspace and clear it replacing it with 688.
Also move down with the arrow keys to 1452, clear and type 16700.
Make sure not to add any extra spaces or edit anymore than just these numbers.

11. Now press "Control+O" and then enter to save. You should find it says something like "Wrote 298 lines" on the bottom. you can repeat this just to be sure.

12. Use "Control+X" to exit back to the standard terminal window. Here just type exit and close terminal.

13. Lastly go to "Mac HD>System>Library" and delete Extensions.mkext (may ask for password) and then restart immediately.

14. This worked for me so I hope it works for you but be aware if you run fix bluetooth on DellEFI 1.1 again you will have to repeat the process. I hope I didn't miss anything. Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 1.jpg  
  (#24) Old
solar solar is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 28
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default 05-15-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussainx View Post
I was having the same issues, originally was rusty with terminal so didn't know how to use the editor and the script wasn't working but I finally got it working. I'll try to cover it in as much detail as possible for my fellow noobs. It may seem advanced but its not that hard.

1. First thing was the restore the bluetooth module by using the DellEFI 1.1 "Fix Bluetooth" custom option.
2. Restart and make sure the bluetooth is on and USB Legacy is off in the BIOS.
3. No boot in "Safe-Mode". This is explained below. If you know it skip to 6.
(In DellEFI 1.2a i've read this is done by holding SHIFT but I haven't tried this)
4. When you get to the darwin x86 countdown press enter to get the the boot list of available partitions (i.e. Mac HD in my case).
5. You will see a sort of command prompt that says "boot:".
6. type "-x" after the "boot:" so you get "boot: -x" in the bootloader and press enter.
Now your system should load in Safe-Mode and we're almost there.
7. Open Terminal and enter:

"sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext/Contents/Info.plist"

,as mentioned in the original post. It should ask for your password so enter this.
PLEASE NOTE: if you are copy pasting, do this thru "Text Edit" so the whole string is copied as the forum seems to add "Returns" to get the formatting right so the terminal editor doesn't load the info.plist in the end directory. I stupidly had this problem so maybe its just me. :P

8. Now the terminal editor should load exactly like the picture shown below.
Please make sure you get this screen otherwise check that the string you used above was complete with no spaces so as to actually load the existing info.plist

9. Press "Control+W" (This is the where is or find function) and search for 33301.
(From what I have seen all the original dell bluetooth modules have the same ID's)

10. When you find 33301 simply use backspace and clear it replacing it with 688.
Also move down with the arrow keys to 1452, clear and type 16700.
Make sure not to add any extra spaces or edit anymore than just these numbers.

11. Now press "Control+O" and then enter to save. You should find it says something like "Wrote 298 lines" on the bottom. you can repeat this just to be sure.

12. Use "Control+X" to exit back to the standard terminal window. Here just type exit and close terminal.

13. Lastly go to "Mac HD>System>Library" and delete Extensions.mkext (may ask for password) and then restart immediately.

14. This worked for me so I hope it works for you but be aware if you run fix bluetooth on DellEFI 1.1 again you will have to repeat the process. I hope I didn't miss anything. Enjoy
Thanks Alot. I was trying this for a long time but using safe mode fixed it for me.

Altough it can be disabled now i will monitor it's power usage.
  (#25) Old
Sneeks Sneeks is offline
Member
 
Posts: 34
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default 05-15-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgarth View Post
Just want to post this is awesome. I cannot find the original thread, but I could not tether to my iphone (3.0) via Bluetooth. Would fail during pairing and Bluetooth would then be switched off until I removed the Bluetooth Preferences and restarted.

I applied this fix, and I can tether - fantastic!

Thanks.
That's good news as I am having a identical problem with my Mini 9 and the iPhone.
  (#26) Old
anguish anguish is offline
Super Moderator
 
anguish's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,203
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Detroit
Default 05-15-2009, 11:42 AM

I have had this problem with two phones and the Mini 9. I'll definitely be looking into this once I decide I'm awake enough.


Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#27) Old
hussainx hussainx is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 16
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default 05-15-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeks View Post
That's good news as I am having a identical problem with my Mini 9 and the iPhone.
I personally find using PdaNet which allows you to connect your iPhone to an adhoc wireless network you create on the mini 9 and then run the iPhone data thru to the mini 9. Funily I havent seen many other people talking about it or using it but works great for me. You can get it on cydia.
  (#28) Old
Randy Randy is offline
Member
 
Posts: 41
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default 05-15-2009, 03:47 PM

Hussainx, your tutorial was spot-on perfect... Finally, my Mini 9 allows me to toggle Bluetooth off and on. Thank you!

Randy
  (#29) Old
iceorbital iceorbital is offline
Junior Member
 
Posts: 16
Join Date: May 2009
Default 05-15-2009, 06:34 PM

any chances this might make it into a futre DELLEFI? This is so cool!
  (#30) Old
Richdmoore Richdmoore is offline
Senior Member
 
Posts: 104
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default 05-15-2009, 06:49 PM

[QUOTE=hussainx;65885]I was having the same issues, originally was rusty with terminal so didn't know how to use the editor and the script wasn't working but I finally got it working. I'll try to cover it in as much detail as possible for my fellow noobs. It may seem advanced but its not that hard.

*SNIP*

Thanks, I had some issues getting my time machine backup to work after the reinstall, but when I got in and reinstalled the dellefi 1.1 boot stuff I used your instructions and now have the bluetooth on/off working.
 

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.