Google Chrome OS Discussions on Google Chrome OS matters for the Dell Mini

(#1) Old

Default Nice New ChromeOS from Dell 4/15/2012 (Install SSD issue) - 04-19-2012, 02:47 PM

Dell has released a nice new build of ChromeOS 4/15/2012

This version is rather different, has icons at the bottom of the screen, wallpaper etc.

Installs to a USB stick the normal way and works fine.

I could not get it to boot from the SSD?
(To open a terminal, need to login to a gmail ID then ctrl-alt-t )

It installs to SSD but will only boot if the usb stick in inserted and seems to just boot from the usb stick, maybe someone a figure that out??
  (#2) Old

Default 04-22-2012, 06:10 AM

I'm having *the same* problem!

Mini 9, I'm trying to install Chromium for the first time, finally got a bootable USB key (had to try a couple different versions of win32diskimager--had no OS found problem many times too, also tried different USB keys), and it boots! Cool, so I want it on the HD...

Seeing how the dell user never worked for me, I logged in using my gmail account (had to plug in network cable first time, then got WiFi working), install seemed to work fine (used dell1234 password) but when I reboot without the USB stick I get a black screen, machine does nothing... until I plug in the USB--then it boots right up!

Found a site that gave me some ideas (can't link it because I'm a noob on this board...)...

Tried the ctrl-alt-f2 and login as chronos then install... got the same black screen. It's not hung, responds instantly to ctrl-alt-del...

I've also managed to hit escape and gotten the boot: prompt, but I don't really know what to put in there, nor what to edit to make it permanent if it works (I did manage a kernel panic...).
  (#3) Old

Default 04-22-2012, 08:30 AM

I got it to boot after installing to SSD by getting to boot: prompt and typing chromeos-usb.A root=/dev/sda.

Don't know how to make it permanent though.

It seems that flash is disabled in this build...

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.2 | 0.8.3 RC4 | 32GB Runcore SSD | 2GB RAM | BIOS A05 | 0.3 MP Webcam | WWAN | BT: ON | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake from Sleep: OFF
  (#4) Old

Default 04-22-2012, 03:04 PM

Yep, that's what I'd tried and that gets me a kernel panic.

Now I remember why I *love* linux-based stuff, *hours* of fun!

All in all, not too impressed with ChromeOS so far, not just the way the build Dell put out April 15th is more properly called the April 1st build (and still has references to stuff like logging in with user "dell" which is entirely wrong)... it's that I'd hoped with such a lightweight OS the Mini9 would finally feel "snappy". It didn't feel *that much* more responsive than Windows 7, to me.

Did watch a couple YouTube videos on it, so sound works fine.

The two applications I tried to install failed to work, seemingly because of flash/shockwave issues.

Now I'm going to try the Win8 CP. May put ChromeOS on an SD card though. Once there seems to be a good reliable build of the Dell version or Lime...
  (#5) Old

Default Same issue - 05-06-2012, 11:41 AM

I have a Mini 9 with 8GB SSD (factory shipped with Dell Linux) and run into the exact same issue -- installed the 15-Apr build to SSD but it alone won't boot. I suspect there's a problem with the install script.

Hope there is a fix soon!

P/S: I've also tried CloneZilla-ing the bootable USB to the SSD but that wouldn't boot either
  (#6) Old

Default 05-09-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitdor View Post
I have a Mini 9 with 8GB SSD (factory shipped with Dell Linux) and run into the exact same issue -- installed the 15-Apr build to SSD but it alone won't boot. I suspect there's a problem with the install script.

Hope there is a fix soon!

P/S: I've also tried CloneZilla-ing the bootable USB to the SSD but that wouldn't boot either
Hello I had the same problem... I have a solution that worked for me!
Install to HD then reboot and login with your account
start a terminal with ctrl+alt+t
>shell
>sudo -s and give password dell1234
>cd /media/removable/External\ Drive\ 2/syslinux/
>vim usb.A.cfg
change root=/dev/sdb3 to root=/dev/sda3
press esc
and :wq to save the file

then exit the shell and shutdown

Next time you will restart you will not have to boot using usb stick!!
The first time it will need all the login information..

I hope I helped!
  (#7) Old

Default 05-13-2012, 12:45 AM

Just wanted to let you know that worked for me!

Thanks!
  (#8) Old

Default This works! - 05-13-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talexop View Post
Hello I had the same problem... I have a solution that worked for me!
Install to HD then reboot and login with your account
start a terminal with ctrl+alt+t
>shell
>sudo -s and give password dell1234
>cd /media/removable/External\ Drive\ 2/syslinux/
>vim usb.A.cfg
press esc

then exit the shell and shutdown

Next time you will restart you will not have to boot using usb stick!!
The first time it will need all the login information..

I hope I helped!
This totally works! talexop you're the man... this should totally be included in the release instructions

Thanks again!
  (#9) Old

Default 05-18-2012, 12:45 AM

I'm having difficulty with these steps:
press esc

Am I supposed to move the cursor to that line and manually delete the 'b' and replace it with 'a', or is "change root=/dev/sdb3 to root=/dev/sda3" what should be typed in at the same time that I type in ">vim usb.A.cfg"? Sorry for the elementary question.

I've been trying to make the change manually, and it won't allow a change to be made...and the "esc" key doesn't work at that point either.
  (#10) Old

Default 05-24-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsushi View Post
I'm having difficulty with these steps:
press esc

Am I supposed to move the cursor to that line and manually delete the 'b' and replace it with 'a', or is "change root=/dev/sdb3 to root=/dev/sda3" what should be typed in at the same time that I type in ">vim usb.A.cfg"? Sorry for the elementary question.

I've been trying to make the change manually, and it won't allow a change to be made...and the "esc" key doesn't work at that point either.
hotsushi,

The vim editor is a bit tricky at first, no wonder you got confused. It works in several distinctive modes, three of which you need to know: normal mode (to navigate through the text), insert mode (to edit the text) and command mode (to give commands such as save a file and exit the program).

Initially you are in normal mode and can only browse through the text. While in normal mode put the cursor at letter "b" in "root=/dev/sdb3" sub-string. Now go into insert mode by press "i" key (Insert key also works, but not always). When you are in insert mode change the sub-string "root=/dev/sdb3" so it reads as "root=/dev/sda3". Exit the insert mode by pressing Esc button. Now you need to save your changes - for this go into command mode by typing ":" followed by "w" (short for "write") and "q" (short for "quit") and press Enter - your file will be saved and vim will be closed.

Alternatively you can install nano editor (it is more user-friendly than vim) from here Chrome OS Extra Packages from Todd Vierling and use it instead. However, you may encounter other difficulties on this route.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by danilovesky; 05-25-2012 at 09:22 AM.