Dell Latitude 2100 Discussion on the Dell Latitude 2100, a rugged 10-inch netbook released to the educational market.

(#1) Old

Default Issues after Memory Upgrade - 02-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Hi there, I am new to the site but have been working with computers for a few years, so know my way about. Trying to increase RAM on my 2100 with XP and BIOS A06.

Bought a new Kingston 1GB DDR2 533MHz Dimm, as I know board can't take more than 2GB. Install was fine, but during boot up BSOD. It boots in to XP and sometimes lasts a few minutes before it BSOD. Seems to run ok with new Dimm out. I am wondering if memory I bought has a known compatibility issue.

Regards,

Griffmaster
  (#2) Old

Default 02-08-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffmaster View Post

Bought a new Kingston 1GB DDR2 533MHz Dimm, as I know board can't take more than 2GB. Install was fine, but during boot up BSOD. It boots in to XP and sometimes lasts a few minutes before it BSOD. Seems to run ok with new Dimm out. I am wondering if memory I bought has a known compatibility issue.
I've not heard of a "known" issue, but based on my experience the 2100's main board may be a bit finicky about the RAM. When I upgraded from 1 GB to 2 I began experiencing occasional blue screens (usually when in Outlook or running a VPN client), and the offending file was nearly always win32k.sys.

Can't be sure it was the RAM, though. Could be just a coincidence. I'm using only the Dell approved drivers, but my crashes invariably occur during network activity.

-- Dan Shane --

Dell Latitude 2100 | Ball Field Green | 2 GB RAM | 500GB 7200 RPM HD | Windows 8.1 Enterprise| Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

Dell Inspiron Duo | 2 GB RAM | 320GB 7200 RPM HD | Windows 8.1 Enterprise| Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
  (#3) Old

Default 09-30-2014, 03:41 AM

Dan..

I know this is an old thread, but a few others might be having these same troubles..
I had that same problems in a few old notebooks..
Seemed it was the ram-card gold connections causing data cross transfer because the connections were too close to the next connections if the card wasn't set properly.. The cure was to make sure the card is properly perfectly seated.. Those connectors are very too-close to each other.. I'm told that "even large bits of dust can sometimes cause this problem, but it's very rare"..

Seems that data wires touching AC wires can sometimes cause a few of those mentioned irritating glitches, plus lowered bandwidth..

Worst thing, I'm told, is to run a notebook on bedding fabric with the cooling vents blocked.. It can seriously overheat the CPU and almost everything, causing those shut-down glitches, and even serious hardware damage.. Get a laptop cooler...

If you're having troubles with a Windows OS, try the free "Ubuntu Studio 12.04", but don't upgrade it to US-2014, which doesn't work properly in a DL-2100..
Surf: "Ubuntu Studio 12.04" in Youtube.. Also surf in Youtube: Audacity, Focuswriter, Gimp tutorials, DBAN, Switch to Linux, and Scientific Linux 6.4.. But I just can't get an SCL 6.4 OS working in a DL-2100, though it's the most secure OS out there.. Seems even the best government blackhatters have a lot of grief trying to penetrate an SCL 6.4 OS...