FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#21) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-25-2008, 06:40 PM

As an update to the original post:
I redid my Mini yesterday, if you partition your drive and format partition 3 as FAT32 you can then install XP on there, then install OS X on partition 2 and use partition 1 for the EFI partition.

This has the advantage of allowing you to use the Type11 scripts to setup all the EFI partition side.
One problem I have had using those scripts is that I always get an error along the lines of "Mount HFS: Resource busy" but I'm not sure that this is due to the multi-booting because the disk0s1 reference the script uses to configure the EFI partition will work now.

I'll update the original guide later on or tomorrow.

Dell Mini 9. 2GB RAM. 64GB Runcore SSD. 32GB SDHC. Novatel 3G WWAN.
Hacked MacBook Air SuperDrive. Real HD LED.
Quad booting OS X, Ubuntu 8.1, XP Pro and Windows 7.
  (#22) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-27-2008, 08:36 PM

I followed a very similar method to get dual booting working between Vista and Leopard, and the reason for the resource busy error is because the EFI partition is already mounted. If you remove these two lines from the miniscript it
ll work perfectly.

Code:
do shell script "mkdir /Volumes/EFI > /dev/null &" with administrator privileges
do shell script "mount_hfs /dev/" & disk & "s1 /Volumes/EFI" with administrator privileges
Alternatively, you could find a way to not automount the EFI partition.

The part i'm having trouble with now is having the Darwin bootloader automatically boot my Leopard partition. Using a timeout it counts down and then boots the EFI partition since it is marked as active.
  (#23) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-27-2008, 10:53 PM

Can you post what is in your c.a.boot.plist file?
Mine recognises the timeout and counts down but it won't boot any of the partitions when the timeout reaches 0. It boots them fine when I choose it but won't go by the line "rd=disk0s2" at all.

(#24) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-29-2008, 06:48 PM

I just wanted to tell you guys great work on the write up, using this info I was able to get a dual booting system with Mac OS X 10.5.6 as well as the new Windows 7 beta with a runcore 32bg. Booting is a little funky with it becuase I tried to get the windows 7 boot manager to boot os x but was unsecessful at that so I have to hit enter twice when booting windows. Other then that both are working fine. Have you guys thought about trying grub at all to boot Mac OS (using the chain0 setup) and what ever other OS you want, just food for thought.
  (#25) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-31-2008, 06:41 AM

I am trying this method out for dual booting OSX and either XP or the new 7. I have not installed Windows yet, I started with OSX. I followed this method and got my three partitions made, OSX installed in 2, Updated to 10.5.5, then ran the Type11 scripts without any changes, hoping it would put things into the right partitions, OSX and EFI. Everything seemed to go fine. Now when I restart, I get the choice of partitions to boot too, but when I choose Partition 2, it starts to load, then crashes and says I need to restart again. If I start from Boot132, then choose Partition 2, it starts up fine. I have tried booting with either / or -f and that doesn't seem to make any difference. Not sure where to check for this. Should I try rerunning the install script?
  (#26) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-31-2008, 08:07 AM

I just got Windows 7 installed on the 3rd Partition no problem, but have lost the Boot choices at startup. It just starts Windows automatically. If I run Boot132 I get the choices and can choose Partition 2 no problem, it boots up fine. I reran the Install script but that didn't help any. I tried it with the Boot file on Quiet Mode or not and that didn't do anything either.
  (#27) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 01-01-2009, 01:14 PM

If you installed Windows after OS X then it would replace the bootloader with the one from Windows I guess, so that probably why its booting straight into that.

I would try rerunning the part of the script that installs the OS X bootloader.
Assuming the EFI partition is partition 1 and you have mounted the install.dmg as Installer try running this:

sudo -s
diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk0s1
/Volumes/Installer/efi_boot_v5.1/fdisk -f /Volumes/Installer/efi_boot_v5.1/boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
dd if=/Volumes/Installer/efi_boot_v5.1/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/EFI
cp /Volumes/Installer/efi_boot_v5.1/boot-turbo-munky.bin /Volumes/EFI/boot
cp /Volumes/Installer/efi_boot_v5.1/update.sh /Volumes/EFI
mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter
mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extensions
touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log

That should get it to boot and present you with the boot list.

(#28) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 01-02-2009, 02:09 AM

I tried that and it still automatically starts Windows.

There was one mistake in it, the efi_boot_v5.1 was actually efi_boot_v6.1

mkdir /Volumes/EFI After this line I got a "File Exists" error

mount_hfs /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/EFI After this one I got a "Resource Busy" error, so I assume it was already mounted?

Would that have caused it to not show the boot menu?
  (#29) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 01-02-2009, 02:27 AM

Do you see the EFI disk on your desktop? If so its already mounted.

I noticed that I made a mistake in what I pasted in to my post - mount_hfs /dev/disk0s2 /Volumes/EFI is tryng to mount the wrong partition (thats from my original instructions where I had my EFI partition as partition 2), it should be:

mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

Does that then allow you to copy the booter files?

(#30) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 01-02-2009, 03:11 AM

The EFI Partition is mounted when I start up. I eject it, then run this script and it remounts after the first line. Then I still get the "Mount_hfs Resource Busy" error.

Everything else acts like it is working, on the EFI partition I have the following:
boot
update.sh
Extensions/
System/Booter/