FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#1) Old

Lightbulb Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-17-2008, 05:03 AM

I posted yesterday that I had set this up but it was a bit difficult to follow. Hope this guide makes a bit more sense now. I installed onto the 64GB Runcore with this method.

Edited 8th January - changing partition numbers to match those used for Type11 miniscript.

This could be improved on I'm sure!

This guide is written assuming you don't have a Mac already available that you could create the custom boot disk from, if you do have a Mac then boot up into OS X and create your install image on there, it saves you installing OS X onto an external HDD

Things you will need:
1. Leopard install DVD.
2. XP install CD.
3. Type11 boot 132 CD.
4. 8GB or bigger USB key.
5. 13GB or bigger USB HDD.
6. External USB DVD drive.

Points of reference (in case it all goes bad ):
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127330
http://macinized.freeflux.net/blog/a...ard-winxp.html
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.p...pic=116505&hl=

Main steps
1. Configure SSD for MBR
2. Install XP on partition 3 (FAT)
3. Install Leopard onto the USB HDD
4. Boot Leopard. Create a hacked image of the Leopard install DVD on the USB key that allows installation on MBR disks.
5. Install Leopard from the USB key onto the Mini SSD into partition 2 (HFS+)
6. Boot into Leopard on the SSD. Create the EFI image on partition 1 and configure.

Before you start
Configure your boot priority as below:
1. CD
2. USB
3. Internal HDD

Instructions
Using whichever method you prefer remove all partitions from your SSD and configure the drive to use MBR. I used a Gparted disk to configure my partitions but you could use the diskutility or fdisk.

Make 3 partitions, they don't need formatting yet -
1 - 200MB (this is for the EFI partition so label it EFI)
2 - Make this the right size for your OS X installation - at least 12GB
3 - Make this the right size for your XP installation

Boot from your XP CD. I used a retail Windows XP Pro CD but the Dell supplied CD should work just as well. Use the 3rd partition and format it as FAT. I have a 64GB SSD and allocated 20GB to this partition.

Follow the standard Windows installation and make sure you can boot into Windows as normal at the end. Install all your Windows drivers. Power down.

Put your Type11 boot132 into your DVD drive and also plug in your USB HDD and power up. When you get to the boot prompt swap it out for the Leopard Install DVD. Choose option 9f to boot from the DVD.

When you get to the Leopard install open up Disk Utiltity from the menu. Format your EFI partition (partition number 1) as HFS+

Format your OS X partition (partition number 2) as HFS+ as well.

Still within Disk Utility Choose the USB HDD and create a HFS+ partition using the GUID partition to install Leopard onto.

When the install fails reboot and boot from the boot132 CD. This time at the menu choose to boot from device 80. This is your USB HDD installation of Leopard.

This copy of Leopard that you have now installed onto the USB HDD is only used to create a modified installer for Leopard, once you have got the Mini all configured you can wipte it - although I find it's a handy way to go back in and make changes if things go fubar later on

When Leopard is started plug in your USB Key and put the Leopard Install DVD in the drive and wait for it to mount.

Open Disk Utility. Configure the USB Key to use a GUID partition table and create a single Mac OS Extended partition on it called "Mac OS X Install DVD".

Choose the USB Key on the left and goto the Restore tab on the right hand side of the screen. Drag the Leopard DVD from the left onto where it says Source (you will see a + sign appear over it as you drag it).

Now drag the USB Key onto where it says Destination. Press the Restore button. This will create a Read/Write image of the install disk on your USB Key.

Wait a long time!

Once this is completed eject both the DVD and the USB Key . Then plug the USB key back in (this makes sure it mounts with the right volume name). On your desktop create a new folder and call it OSInstall.

Open terminal and do the following:

sudo -s
cd /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install DVD"/System/Installation/Packages
cp OSInstall.mpkg ~/Desktop/OSInstall

Open up a second terminal and do the following:
cd ~/Desktop/OSInstall
xar - x -f osinstall.mpkg

If you now look in the OSInstall folder that you made you will see the OSInstall.mpkg and some new files. Delete OSInstall.mpkg.

Open the file called "Distribution" with text edit and delete the line that says "eraseOptionAvailable='true'" and save the file.

Go back to your second terminal window and enter the following:
xar -c -f OSInstall.mpkg *

This creates a new copy of OSInstall.mpkg. Close down that second terminal window. Go back to your first terminal window and enter the following:
rm OSInstall.mpkg
cp ~/Desktop/OSInstall/OSInstall.mpkg ./

You have now modified the install DVD image so that it will now allow itself to be installed onto an MBR disk.

Power down the Mini. Remove the USB HDD. Leave the USB Key attached.

Boot from the boot132 CD and again at the menu choose to boot from device 80 - which is now our USB key.

Choose to install Leopard into the 2nd partition that we created on the SSD earlier.

This time the install will not fail. When you get the message install succeeded power down and remove the USB Key.

Now boot from the boot132 CD again and choose device 80 - this time this means our SSD. You will get a menu option showing our 3 partitions. Boot into option 2 which is our Leopard installation and use the "-f" option.

You can now complete the Leopard setup, entering username & password etc. Now we need to set up our EFI partition.

Note: You cannot use the miniscript to do this - there seems to be a problem running the Type11 miniscript. I think this is because its necessary to use MBR to dualboot and so the EFI partition is not hidden which seems to mess up the script. Once the source is on Sourceforge I will make a version which will work with dual boot machines

Open installer.dmg from the boot132 cd and wait for it to mount.

Open a terminal window and use the following to configure the EFI partition manually. (This is all copied from Type11's 5.1 script)

sudo -s
diskutil eraseVolume "HFS+" "EFI" /dev/disk0s1
/Volumes/Installer/efi_boot_v5.1/fdisk -f /Volumes/Installer/efi_boot_v5.1/boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
dd if=/Volumes/Installer/efi_boot_v5.1/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
cp /Volumes/Installer/efi_boot_v5.1/boot-turbo-munky.bin /Volumes/EFI/boot
cp /Volumes/Installer/efi_boot_v5.1/update.sh /Volumes/EFI
mkdir -p /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter
mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extensions
touch /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log
cp -R /Volumes/Installer/Extensions/*.kext /Volumes/EFI/Extensions
chmod +x /Volumes/EFI/update.sh
sudo /Volumes/EFI/update.sh
umount -f /Volumes/EFI
rm -rf /Volumes/EFI" rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/ALCinject.kext
rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
rm -r /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
cp -R /Volumes/Installer/LocalExtensions/*.kext /System/Library/Extensions
cp -R /Volumes/Installer/SystemConfiguration/*.bundle /System/Library/SystemConfiguration

Reboot, you will get the option on which OS to boot into.

Note that the commands above don't include the 2 finger scrolling support.

I haven't been able to get the apple.com.boot.plist to automatically boot an OS yet. You can get the timeout but then still end up being presented a menu to choose which OS. I'll add more on that later if I can resolve it.

Dell Mini 9. 2GB RAM. 64GB Runcore SSD. 32GB SDHC. Novatel 3G WWAN.
Hacked MacBook Air SuperDrive. Real HD LED.
Quad booting OS X, Ubuntu 8.1, XP Pro and Windows 7.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Audio working now - I hadn't copied the Local Extensions over. Upgraded to 10.5.6 without problems
Going to write a quick script that does the extensions updates etc instead of doing it all by hand in future but that seems to be about all thats needed .

Guide was a bit rough but hope it's useful.

(#3) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-17-2008, 10:19 AM

He, that's pretty cool! Go one step further and add miniBuntu to the equasion

Modding the Dell Mini 9 Part 1 & Part 2

DELL MINI 9 | A05 | 10.6.1 | 8GB SSD | 1GB RAM
  (#4) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-17-2008, 05:08 PM

Very cool man. I can just barely follow those instructions, makes my eyes go crossed. Very complicated. Thanks for posting that, maybe others who are interested in this sort of thing can follow your lead now.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-17-2008, 05:24 PM

Looking through it again I really didn't write it very well lol.

I'll post a more succinct version later on that should be easier to follow.

(#6) Old
Guru

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-17-2008, 10:52 PM

Just go ahead and click EDIT on your original post. This has been moved to the FAQ's and How-To's section..

(#7) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-18-2008, 12:02 AM

Ok, rewritten it so it is easier to follow now.

(#8) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-18-2008, 07:54 PM

I could be wrong, but there actually shouldn't be any need to create an EFI partition if you are using MBR booting on Leopard (I didn't read your entire howto though, so maybe I'm confused). The extensions only need to be available in /System/Library/Extensions on your main Leo partition. This is how all the other Kalyway/ToH/etc install methods work. One thing to note though, when you do updates, make darn sure you have a backup of your kexts, or expect issues... :roll:
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-19-2008, 01:38 AM

Oh cool, well I'm going to leave it a couple weeks before I wipe the drive again - you can only do that so often in a week , but after New Year I'll try it without the EFI partition and see how it goes.

(#10) Old
Guru

Default Re: Woooohoooooo dual booting os x & xp on the runcore! - 12-19-2008, 02:22 AM

If you're using Boot132 in the Type11 way, you need an EFI partition, that's where the Kexts are.