Mac OS X Development Development and discussion on the latest hackintosh drivers and methods.

(#11) Old
Expert Member

Default 11-23-2009, 05:06 PM

That's what the SmartSleep PrefPane is designed to do, pick a point at which the machine shifts from sleep to hibernate so that the battery isn't dead.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#12) Old

Default 11-24-2009, 05:01 AM

no, I dont think you get what I meant.
on a macbook there is always a hibernation image present, even though you put it to sleep. so if the battery dies while sleeping it automatically falls back to the hibernation image.

the tools you mentioned does only switch to hibernation if the battery level is low when closing the lid. but what happens when I put my 10v to sleep with full battery and leave it there for many days? now if the battery dies, does it automatically switch to hibernation?
  (#13) Old

Default 11-24-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4saken View Post
no, I dont think you get what I meant.
on a macbook there is always a hibernation image present, even though you put it to sleep. so if the battery dies while sleeping it automatically falls back to the hibernation image.

the tools you mentioned does only switch to hibernation if the battery level is low when closing the lid. but what happens when I put my 10v to sleep with full battery and leave it there for many days? now if the battery dies, does it automatically switch to hibernation?
I used the chameleon patch to enable hibernation before updating to snow. It worked perfectly and the sleep process was exactly as you descibed. When you close the lid it generates the hibernate file and goes to sleep. Opening the lid resumes from sleep. If the battery dies whilst sleeping it will then use the hibernate file to resume from when you next turn it on. This sounds like the standard OSX behaviour you describe.

To test this I put my 10v to sleep, waited for the light to start pulsing and then pulled the battery out

It came back up exactly where I had left it!

I am glad to hear the RC4 enables hibernation again as I had missed it.

Mini 10v | 2GB RAM | 120GB HDD | 1510 N Wireless | BT 2.1 | OSX 10.6.4 | NBI 0.8.4RC1 | Bios A04 | 1010 Touchpad | Magic Mouse
  (#14) Old
Expert Member

Default 11-24-2009, 01:12 PM

On a macbook, or our mini, sleeping takes awhile because copying 2G of memory to HD takes time. By default hibernate isn't enabled on the mini so sleep is setup to not write out the hibernate image since the mini won't hibernate. You can simply set the power management state (pmstate?) to be sleep/hibernate (deep sleep) and your mini will behave just like a macbook. OTOH you can use smartsleep to get the benefits of both, a quick sleep because the hibernate image isn't being written to the HD when the battery is mostly full and the safety/backup of writing the memory image to disc when the battery is low.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#15) Old

Default 11-25-2009, 03:10 AM

damn, I broke it!! I ran netbookinstaller rc4 and clicked the enable hibernation option and did a restart.
now when booting I get this message: hibernation image is to old by 78649 seconds. Use ForceWake=y to override

after that the mini reboots. this keeps on going forever.
can someone tell me what to do?
I would guess I need to use the forcewake=y command somewhere, but the usual step at bootup where it tells to hit enter for bootup options doesnt even show
  (#16) Old
Expert Member

Default 11-25-2009, 01:46 PM

Try manually deleting the sleep image
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

Then restart and then try to hibernate.

Oh, don't forget to turn off the encryption of the hibernate file. Security PrefPane, uncheck the use secure virtual memory checkbox.

Dropbox Referral
  (#17) Old

Default 11-25-2009, 03:01 PM

ok, so I restored my mini by booting from my usb install disk and running netbook installer.
after this I did some more testing. disabled the memory encryption, deleted the hibernation file and also tried this guide here: http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/faqs...afe-sleep.html but this only resulted in a totally broken mini not booting at all. it showed something on the screen, but it's to quick to read, reboots right away.

any more suggestions to get the safe sleep working?
  (#18) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 11-25-2009, 08:58 PM

Reinstall the old bootloader. You *must* use it to boot 10.6.2.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#19) Old
Expert Member

Default 11-26-2009, 12:07 AM

4saken, you can't replace the /boot file with what you found in that thread (among other things that was with a 10.5.x system). So what Meklort told you is right. Re-run NBI 0.8.3 RC4 and reinstall Chameleon to put back the newest bootloader which has Meklort's 10.6.2 fixes in it. Delete the sleepimage file, make sure hibernation is on. I'd suggest using SmartSleep and picking Hibernate only for testing. That will make your mini hibernate instead of sleep. Now reboot. Once you're back close the lid or push the power button and pick sleep or choose sleep from the Apple menu.The screen should go off immediately and after 10ish seconds the power led should go off. Use the power button to resume from Hibernate. If that works you can then set things to the 'normal mac' way if you want, sleep+hibernate or use SmartSleep or whatever.

Dropbox Referral
  (#20) Old

Default 11-26-2009, 02:02 AM

I just went through the steps to enable Hibernation:

• manually deleting the sleep image
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
• Don't forget to turn off the encryption of the hibernate file.
• Enabled Hibernation in RC4
• Enabled Hibernation in the Smart Sleep pref pane.
Restarted, looked in the Finder to verify the decrease in HD space. All is good.
I click sleep, mini 9 goes to sleep and LED goes through the normal pulsation. Click again and it wakes up.
Hibernation is NOT working on my mini 9. Yet the Hibernation file does get created.

Dell Mini 9 : OS X 10.6.8 : BIOS A05
32GB STEC SSD : 2GB RAM
NBI Version : Latest
SpeedStep : [Enabled]
USB Legacy support : [Disabled]