Mac OS X Development Development and discussion on the latest hackintosh drivers and methods.

(#1) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default NetbookCD Development - 0.8.3 RC4 - 10-24-2009, 07:31 AM

Updated 14 November 2009

meklort has been hard at work developing the next generation of the NetbookInstaller/BootMaker software. As part of that work, he has also included NetbookCD as an official part of this "suite". As such, a new NetbookCD ISO has been created with some great features.

First and foremost, meklort has modified the cdboot software (Chameleon software file) so that both 10.5 and 10.6 kernel extensions can be included on one disc, no more separate versions. This was already possible with a normal Chameleon install, but not from a preboot ramdisk such as a boot CD needs, so the mod was necessary.

Second, Snow Leopard should now automatically install the Chameleon bootloader and SL extensions when installation is finished. Leopard was supposed to do this as well, but there's a bug in the software, so it's Snow Leopard-only for now. Leopard will still boot from the CD, but you'll need to run NetbookInstaller later to get the bootloader and extensions installed.

Third, the UHCIreset tweak has been enabled so that it should no longer hang on the boot screen.

And finally, as of 0.8.3 RC4, a fix is included for the Snow Leopard 10.6.2 update.

As always this is not final yet, and is still under development.

NetbookCD 0.8.3 RC4 Release
ISO (79.3 MB)
Compressed ZIP (36.8 MB)

Anyone who can provide feedback on their experience would be appreciated. I'll update this post when necessary.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#2) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 10-25-2009, 09:46 PM

Just a note for anyone using this.

If you are installing with snow leopard, It'll run NetbookInstaller automatically and setup everything. It looks like I forgot to include a program (xxd) that is required for patching the dsdt, so once you reboot, run NetbookInstaller (in your Applications folder). EDIT: Make sure that *only* regenerate dsdt is selected.

Other than that, everything should work out of the box (and this won't be needed in future version).

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#3) Old

Default 10-28-2009, 02:25 AM

First: meklort/mechdrew - Thank you for all your hard work and ongoing support for the "Hackintosh" community. Your latest effort (NetBookCD) is simply phenomenal! It makes installing OS-X Snow Leopard a breeze. Looking forward to your release of instructions on how to make a USB-bootable installer that incorporates Snow Leopard (retail) install DVD "patched" so it will boot using the same "boot loader" as is on the NetBookCD - can't always lug around a portable DVD drive, and might have the need "in the field" to run the installer. Kudos as well to all the others who have assisted by contributing valuable information and their step-by-step instructions/experiences and videos (anguish79 for example) to this site - YOU ROCK!

-- Dell Mini 10v with 1 Gig RAM, 160 Gig HD, Running Dual-Boot - Mac OS-X 10.6.4 and Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#4) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default 10-28-2009, 02:52 AM

You can already use NetbookBootMaker for that. Granted, in the future, NetbookBootMaker will be more like the cd (self patching, makes updates easier), but it works perfectly now).

My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#5) Old

Red face Can't find the bloody link! - 10-28-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meklort View Post
You can already use NetbookBootMaker for that.
I looked, but can't seem to find the link for where the instructions are for creating a NetBootMaker patched install USB stick from the SL DVD - can you help? (My bad - I thought I'd Bookmarked it).

Thanks!

-- Dell Mini 10v with 1 Gig RAM, 160 Gig HD, Running Dual-Boot - Mac OS-X 10.6.4 and Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#6) Old
Guru

Default 10-28-2009, 03:39 PM

1) Restore dvd to a usb drive (8gb+)
2) Run NetbookBootMaker on the usb drive.

That's it.

(#7) Old
Expert Member

Default 10-28-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meklort View Post
1) Restore dvd to a usb drive (8gb+)
2) Run NetbookBootMaker on the usb drive.

That's it.
Most succinct HOWTO yet, and so completely cool that the process is now that simple.

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2377323/Mini9SoundPatch.zip
  (#8) Old
Guru

Default 10-28-2009, 04:41 PM

The simpler the better.
Just like the process for the new cd is this (currently 10.6 only):

2) Boot cd
3) Swap with dvd
4) Install OS X.

Everything else is done for you automatically, just like with the bootmaker.

(#9) Old
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mechdrew
Default 10-30-2009, 07:18 AM

I've removed the Test label from the 0.8.3 version but tacked on RC3 to match the current state of NetbookInstaller. The ISO is pretty much the same, I only updated the theme and guide files. Since this is technically a release candidate and the Leopard bug still isn't fixed, this still isn't considered final. Download links in original post.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | XP Home | Windows 7 Home | 2GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: ON | USB Wake: ON | BT: None | NBI 0.8.3 Final
http://osx.mechdrew.com - News and Guides for Installing Mac OS X via NetbookInstaller - Now on Twitter

(#10) Old

Default Using NCD 1.1 SL - Dell Mini 10v *PLEASE HELP* - 11-04-2009, 01:35 AM

Don't have a Mac lying around to build the SL Image disk with Netbook Maker / Installer, so have to go the external DVD/CD route.

Burned the 0.8.3 RC image, when it gets to swapping out the disk to the SL Retail disk, hitting F5 does nothing. Disk doesn't spin, tried unplugging prior to F5, same thing. I just never get the Snow Leopard Install CD Icon.

Then burned the NetbookCD1.1 SL iso, and the same thing occurs. Has anyone gotten past this? Any more hints, clues...Apologies if not in the correct forum.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Tags
development, netbookcd