FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#1) Old

Default 10.5.8 is out.... how to upgrade - 08-11-2009, 02:46 AM

Now, whether or not you decide to upgrade is up to you. It may not seem to be that important with the fixes it offers. However if you're as OCD about upgrading as I am, you're just itching to press that button.

To upgrade, first make sure your Bootloader install USB key or whatever you use to boot (I personally use a OS X 10.5.6 image on a 16gb flash drive using the Dell EFI Boot Maker) but what ever you use to boot your Dell after a fresh OS X install you should have.

I would personally recommend you use the New Dell EFI method, as it makes it easy to boot into ignoring the caches or safe mode.

So run the update as normal, letting the system restart when prompted. After the install the computer will shut down.

At this point insert your Bootloader-installed flash drive, and boot to it.
(If you're like me you have disabled the Boot from USB option in your Bios, enable this option again by pressing the 2 key at the boot and finding the option and then pressing Fn+: to save the changes)

You will then get to the bootloader, select your SSD partition with OS X installed, and boot into safe mode.
(If safe mode does not work restart and boot into the option of ignoring caches by pressing the down key and enter to select this.)

Once the computer boots, do not be alarmed if certain things do not show up such as the Airport card or bluetooth, as this will be corrected after you reboot.

Open the Dell EFI and reinstall the chameleon bootloader, the mini 9 extensions, and the mirror friendly GMA kext. After prompted, reboot and reset your Bios to what you had before.

Your Mini 9 should be working as it had been on new 10.5.8!

Black Dell Mini 9, 2gb Ram, 32gb SSD, Bluetooth, 1.3MP Webcam, Touchscreen, USB Hub.

Waiting upgrades: Dual band 802.11n Wifi, 64gb RunCore SSD, GPS Hack, Internal and External SD card, Fingerprint Scanner.
  (#2) Old

Default 08-19-2009, 11:41 PM

My WiFi was not working, so I rebooted and now I have no audio (in or out)!

Dell Mini 9: 16GB SSD, 2GB RAM
  (#3) Old

Default 08-20-2009, 12:00 AM

I got audio back after reinstalling the DellEFI again. *whew*

Dell Mini 9: 16GB SSD, 2GB RAM
  (#4) Old

Default 08-20-2009, 03:13 AM

Where can i get a bootloader install USB key? coould you please provide a detailed walkthrough cause i cannot figure this out.
  (#5) Old

Default 08-20-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm37 View Post
Where can i get a bootloader install USB key? coould you please provide a detailed walkthrough cause i cannot figure this out.
Withdrawn, After some careful research i figured out myself. This forum remains a great resource for all questions regarding this fantastic little computer.