FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#1) Old

Default Enabling Time Machine backups to a Windows or Samba share - 08-06-2009, 05:12 PM

I don't see this posted anywhere here, and it seems that it would be of interest to folks who (like me) have only Windows and/or Linux/Samba shares available for network backups.

The solution can be found here. Following those instructions, I set up my wife's Powerbook Pro to back up to my unRAID server a couple of months ago, and it works like a champ. I've now done the same for my new Mini 9, and it's working great too. Hope y'all find it useful.
  (#2) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 07:56 PM

um... I simply back my mini 9 to a partition on my backup drive... is there a problem?

Mini 9| 2Gb RAM | 32Gb Kingspec | OS X 10.6.8 | 16Gb SDHC | webcam | BT | Wifi | NBI 0.8.4
MacBook Pro (Late 2007) | OSX 10.10.4
  (#3) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 07:57 PM

Sorry - I probably misunderstand

Mini 9| 2Gb RAM | 32Gb Kingspec | OS X 10.6.8 | 16Gb SDHC | webcam | BT | Wifi | NBI 0.8.4
MacBook Pro (Late 2007) | OSX 10.10.4
  (#4) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spida505 View Post
um... I simply back my mini 9 to a partition on my backup drive... is there a problem?
Nope, no problem - if you're happy plugging in an external drive whenever you want to take a backup, that's fine.

Personally, I prefer to back up to a network share because it happens seamlessly in the background any time the laptop is turned on at home, without having to make any conscious decision to connect anything or fire off a manual backup. This is particularly important for my wife's machine, since she abhors me nagging her to back up (but of course still expects me to be able to get her out of the poo if something goes awry).

I also like to use the network share because the NAS is itself protected by redundant hardware.

But for some folks, the seemingly-mystical incantations required to get Time Machine working on a Samba share may not be worth the hassle. And that's cool - to each his own.
  (#5) Old

Send a message via ICQ to mfilos Send a message via MSN to mfilos
Default 08-07-2009, 09:34 PM

I used this tutorial for some time know and TimeMachine backups work perfectly on my Mini-Itx low power Home Ubuntu Server using Netatalk service. NFS exist but found this tutorial very nice at the time