Mac OS X Development Development and discussion on the latest hackintosh drivers and methods.

(#21) Old
Administrator

Default 01-15-2010, 03:24 AM

I thought that the "install Chameleon" was needed for other things. That's what I was told when I asked this before.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#22) Old
Expert Member

Default 01-15-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
I thought that the "install Chameleon" was needed for other things. That's what I was told when I asked this before.
I'm pretty sure it is, now that I think about it. I think meklort built the kernel patching (to force 10.6.2 support for the Intel Atom) and maybe some other things into the Chameleon boot files. So, you should install Chameleon even if you are using EasyBCD. That said, you can still keep it from breaking the ability to boot Windows 7 (until repair) by using the special fdisk that does not overwrite the Windows disk signature in the MBR. That is, I have confirmed that is the case with Chameleon as the boot menu. I don't use EasyBCD, so I am not sure whether using it might change things. I don't think it would. The error when booting Windows is due to the missing Windows disk signature in the MBR.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#23) Old

Default 01-15-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimalpc View Post
IThat is, I have confirmed that is the case with Chameleon as the boot menu. I don't use EasyBCD, so I am not sure whether using it might change things. I don't think it would. The error when booting Windows is due to the missing Windows disk signature in the MBR.
And I have confirmed that it works when using EasyBCD (with Chameleon also installed).

As minimalpc mentioned above, I think this could be integrated into NBI so that dualboot users don't have to worry about it anymore. Has anyone brought this to Meklort's attention for consideration?

ETA: I just sent him an e-mail.

-=|| Mini10v | 2GB | 120GB | BT | Win7 Pro | OSX 10.6.2 ||=-
  (#24) Old
Expert Member

Default 01-18-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter70 View Post
And I have confirmed that it works when using EasyBCD (with Chameleon also installed).

As minimalpc mentioned above, I think this could be integrated into NBI so that dualboot users don't have to worry about it anymore. Has anyone brought this to Meklort's attention for consideration?

ETA: I just sent him an e-mail.
A week or two ago, I sent him a PM about both of the fixes I posted above. No response (probably gets far too many to answer). Hopefully you'll have better luck via email. I have also just submitted both the no-repair and fix-hibernation solutions I posted above as issues on the NBI project page at GoogleCode. That is probably the best way to get it on the radar for a future release.

Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | Windows 7 Professional | Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 | 1GB RAM | 160GB HDD | BIOS A05 | USB Legacy: OFF | USB Wake: OFF | BT: Enabled (self-installed BCM2046) | NBI 0.8.3 final
  (#25) Old

Default 01-18-2010, 04:42 AM

Oh man. This is so beautiful. This wonderful little trick saved me so much time and worrying. I absolutely dreaded having to boot up the Win7 installer to fix the broken update.

I love you all.
  (#26) Old

Default 01-28-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimalpc View Post
It is included with official Chameleon releases, which can be found

Yep, just to be safe you might need to set permissions on the new fdisk once you put it in place. I.e., "sudo chown root:wheel /usr/sbin/fdisk" and "sudo chmod 755 /usr/sbin/fdisk".
I am using SL 10.6.7 with NBI 0.8.5pre on my mini 10v and unfortunately have a need to re-install win7. Could someone be so kind as to give me step by step instructions on changing / adding the modified fdisk file to my usb installer?

I have the modified fdisk file. What I cannot find is the original fdisk file in NBI 0.8.5 or in the OSX install dvd (through show package contents) that should be replaced.

My previous attempts ended with being able to boot only SL or only WIN7 depending on which partition was set as active. The Chameleon bootloader would not appear. If I have to re-run NBI it seems to kill the bootloader and on startup the machine just boots straight into osx.

Thanks