Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default SelfControl.app for Linux - 10-18-2009, 07:38 PM

I am looking for a Linux equivalent of SelfControl.app, a Mac OS X application. From its web site, SelfControl.app:

is an OS X application which blocks access to incoming and/or outgoing mail servers and websites for a predetermined period of time. For example, you could block access to your email, facebook, and twitter for 90 minutes, but still have access to the rest of the web. Once started, it can not be undone by the application, by deleting the application, or by restarting the computer – you must wait for the timer to run out.

The keys, imo: SelfControl.app blocks sites system-wide (it's not just a Firefox extension, for example); it lets you choose which web sites to block while letting you use the rest of the internet; it has a straightforward, graphical configuration (no getting into firewalls and text file configurations).

Does anyone know of a Linux equivalent that has all the keys of SelfControl.app? Or, if not, can anyone make a Linux port, since SelfControl.app is GPL software?

Thank you!

Steve Lambert SelfControl

dellmini9, 2gb memory, 4gb ssd, ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix, 4gb sd card
  (#2) Old

Default 10-18-2009, 10:29 PM

You could write rules for iptable service or use /etc/hosts.allow or /etc/hosts.deny if your was compiled against tcp wrappers.

Mini 10v
  (#3) Old

Default 10-19-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchariya View Post
You could write rules for iptable service or use /etc/hosts.allow or /etc/hosts.deny if your was compiled against tcp wrappers.
Or I could not. Thanks for the reply, but I am looking for a Linux solution that's as usable and convenient as SelfControl.app on OS X (you should try it if you haven't yet!). I'm specifically uninterested in rooting around in hosts or iptable.

dellmini9, 2gb memory, 4gb ssd, ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix, 4gb sd card
  (#4) Old

Default 01-17-2012, 03:16 AM

There is now a Linux (and Windows) version of SelfControl out called SelfRestraint! It's available for free at SelfRestraint | Parker Kuivila