FAQs and How To's Handy FAQs/How To Guides for installing/configuring Mac OS X.

(#1) Old

Default Bluetooth Terminal Mod - 05-01-2009, 04:15 AM

My set up for this mod is MAC OS 10.5.6 DellEFI 1.2a5 BT ON USB LS OFF. Bluetooth hardware: BCM2046.

The problem I am trying to solve with bluetooth has been the inability to turn it off - checkbox greyed out in bluetooth system preferences pane, and no ability to turn off BT in the menu bar.

This mod allows you to turn bluetooth on/off in the preferences or by using the icon in the menu bar. And I think obtain more consistent BT pairings. Sleep works with BT toggled on or off. Restart after sleep is still problematic. I hoped this would have been solved but unfortunately not. :cry:

Note: in the BIOS BT should be ON and USB Legacy Support OFF.

Good luck with your hacking........please don't blame me for trying to help you if things go badly.

This mod is for users of OSX 10.5.6 ONLY. BACKUP YOUR INFO.PLIST FILE FIRST!!

For this bluetooth mod, you will need to work in Terminal. Don't try this if you are not familiar with terminal shells and processes. You will be working in an editor in the terminal, and should be familiar with it's functionality.

It was easier for me to do by logging in as root:

sudo pico /System/Library/Extensions/IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/
BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext/Contents/Info.plist

In 10.5.6 search for these lines, which you will edit (see red bold integers):

<key>Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_3 7A</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCICo ntroller</string>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>Broadcom2045FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIControlle r</string>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOUSBDevice</string>
<key>IOProviderMergeProperties</key>
<dict>
<key>ClassicMustNotSeize</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>idProduct</key>
<integer>33301</integer>
<key>idVendor</key>
<integer>1452</integer>
</dict>

The idProduct decimal integer and the idVendor decimal integer must be changed to correspond with your machine's hardware.

To find this information, go to the apple menu, select "about this mac" and then select "more info". In the left pane, select "Hardware - USB". Click the "BCM2046 USB Device" on the upper right pane. In the right lower pane will be listed the heximal identifiers for your Product and Vendor IDs. Note these. You will need to convert these to decimal integers for the mod above. My machine example: Product ID = 0x02b0 converted = 688 | Vendor ID = 0x413c converted = 16700.

Make the changes and save the work. Exit Terminal.

Trash the Extensions.mkext file (path = your hardrive-system-library). Then reboot.

Enjoy the new functionality.

Other thoughts: I don't really think that by turning off BT (or WiFi for that matter) in the OS software that I am turning off the functions in the BIOS. The cards are still on and transmitting I think. Others more experienced than I could perhaps comment on that and discuss it's significance. I hope this gets us a little farther along with our bluetooth issues.

"Ride in a Window"
Dell Mini 9 Aspen White | BIOS A05 | Mac OSX 10.5.7 | DellEFI 1.2a5 | Meklort's Touchpad Driver | Direct Runcore Install Method | 64 GB Runcore SSD | 2 GB RAM | 16 GB SD | Bluetooth: [enabled] | Bluetooth Terminal Mod | USB Legacy Mode: [disabled] | 1.3 MP Webcam | Life is Good
  (#2) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default Re: Bluetooth Terminal Mod - 05-01-2009, 04:41 AM

This is great. Unfortunately I don't have a bluetooth module to test it with. This can be added to DellEFI if someone can post the correct vendor / device id's assuming that they are all the same (or it can be read from the IO registry on the fly when running DellEFI).

I don't think it actually turns of the hardware, although it probably puts it in a low power mode or something similar. In order to turn it of, you have to tell the embedded controller to cut the power, which this doesn't do.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#3) Old

Send a message via AIM to chazzek
Default Re: Bluetooth Terminal Mod - 05-02-2009, 01:48 AM

This works for me. My device IDs are the same, so I'd expect all Mini 9s to have the same IDs as well.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.2 | 2 Jigabytes RAM | 32 Jigabyte STEC SSD | Bios A05
NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 | USB Legacy Mode off | No camera
  (#4) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default Re: Bluetooth Terminal Mod - 05-02-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzek
This works for me. My device IDs are the same, so I'd expect all Mini 9s to have the same IDs as well.
Sounds good. I'll make it patch based on the IO registry for the lenovo s10 people and anyone with some random usb module (has to be connected at the time, and only one bluetooth module should be present).

My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth Terminal Mod - 05-02-2009, 02:40 AM

Seems to work great, thanks!
  (#6) Old
Guru

Default Re: Bluetooth Terminal Mod - 05-02-2009, 03:25 AM

I'm attaching a script that will patch the bluetooth plist with whatever vendor id your module happens to have (even though it should be static, you never know).

I have it copying the new kext into /Extra/Mini9Ext. I don't know if this will work due to dependancies. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll have it patch the file in place.

The script was thrown together quickly and could be a lot better, but it works (as far as I can tell). It also replaces all instances of apple's vendor id with the new one, which shouldn't matter too much...
Attached Files
File Type: zip bluetooth_patcher.sh.zip (1.1 KB, 613 views)

(#7) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth Terminal Mod - 05-02-2009, 09:43 AM

I am ready to try this out (because i am having the same problem) but howto chmod+x the file?
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth Terminal Mod - 05-02-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar
I am ready to try this out (because i am having the same problem) but howto chmod+x the file?
Launch Terminal, type
Code:
chmod +x
and drag the file in.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth Terminal Mod - 05-02-2009, 11:28 AM

Tried it but seems to give alot of depandacies errors.
First i have an europian Dell Mini (netherlands) and the Product ID and Vendor ID are the same as in starting post.
Ran your script and this was the outcome:

Code:
Last login: Sat May  2 13:13:33 on console
Mac-Mini-van-Niek:~ Niek$ chmod +x /Users/Niek/Downloads/bluetooth_patcher.sh 
Mac-Mini-van-Niek:~ Niek$ /Users/Niek/Downloads/bluetooth_patcher.sh 
Unable to locate bluetooth module, using defaults
Unable to locate bluetooth module, using defaults
Password:
sed: 1: "/Extra/Mini9Ext/Broadco ...": invalid command code M
sed: 1: "/Extra/Mini9Ext/Broadco ...": invalid command code M
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/AppleDecrypt.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/AppleIntelGMA950.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/ApplePS2Controller.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Mouse.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Trackpad.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IO80211Family.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IOGraphicsFamily.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IONDRVSupport.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IONetworkingFamily.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple3Com3C90x.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Apple_DEC21x4Ethernet.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGMACEthernet.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8255x.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBEthernet.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleUSBGigEthernet.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/RealtekR1000.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/SMBIOSResolver.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
warning: kernel extension /Extra/Mini9Ext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleGMACEthernet.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)
------
Bluetooth module with Vendor id 16700 and device id 688 added
Please reboot for changes
Rebooted, but turn bluetooth off is still grayed out.
The BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIController.kext does exist in the /Extra/Mini9Ext folder now with correct IDS.
Also it says: Bluetooth module with Vendor id 16700 and device id 688 added which seems to be incorrect.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Bluetooth Terminal Mod - 05-02-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meklort
I'm attaching a script that will patch the bluetooth plist with whatever vendor id your module happens to have (even though it should be static, you never know).

I have it copying the new kext into /Extra/Mini9Ext. I don't know if this will work due to dependancies. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll have it patch the file in place.

The script was thrown together quickly and could be a lot better, but it works (as far as I can tell). It also replaces all instances of apple's vendor id with the new one, which shouldn't matter too much...
How do you uninstall this?