Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#11) Old

Default 10-13-2009, 04:13 PM

I originally created my OSX image via TransMac on Win7. Then, once I had an OSX install up and running I put the bootloader on it.

I've created a second Win7 flash drive. (Using Win To Flash.)

I'm out of the house today so I'm planning on pickup up a couple other flash drives to eliminate that as a problem. (And, hopefully, to speed up the OSX install a bit.)

I don't think I've mentioned it, but I am using Snow Leopard.

I'm going to recreate my OSX flash drive from within OSX and hopefully post an update sometime tonight.

Just checked from UNR on my dual-boot 17" laptop and it can't see the Win7 partition either. It's been a long while since I tried dual booting with Ubuntu but I could have sworn I had access to both partitions at the time.

Jim
  (#12) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-13-2009, 04:19 PM

I would definitely recreate the OS X drive using Netbook Bootmaker. Beyond that, I'll know more in the next day or so when I have a completely different 10v to test out on. Whether you're using Leopard or Snow Leopard, I would think that the methodology would be the same. Don't quote me on that though.

Alienware M11xR2 - Core i5 1.06 - 4 GB - 250 GB HD

Triple Boot Guide - 10v RAM Upgrade Videos - mechdrew's OSX guides
  (#13) Old

Default 10-13-2009, 06:14 PM

I forgot to mention I used Snow Leopard as well, and obviously there were no problems.

And BT4 went fine, aside from a random installer crash on the first try. I have no issues with the 1024x600 resolution, either. Everything would be perfect if it had a different wireless card, but oh well. I've got an Alfa AWUS036H on the way that will take care of that...

Thanks again.
  (#14) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-13-2009, 06:18 PM

Well yeah, I won't argue with that. I've got the same Alfa as well. Absolutely love that USB wifi adapter. Makes it so that I can use BT with wifi in my regular laptop via virtual machine as well.

(#15) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 06:32 AM

It finally works.

I don't think I would have thought to re-make the flash drives without the suggestions in this thread, but apparently that was the fix that I needed.

I bought the Mini to become familiar with OSX. I guess it's time to get started!

Thanks all!

Jim
  (#16) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-14-2009, 10:39 AM

Rock on! Glad to hear that did the trick!

(#17) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-14-2009, 04:52 PM

As kind of a quick update, I successfully duplicated my results on my new 10v as well. I didn't expect issues, although it was reassuring that I didn't have any. Now to recover data from the old one..

(#18) Old

Default 10-14-2009, 05:02 PM

hey angiush! an "idiotized" guide would be nice. with all them links and pics. c",)
  (#19) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-14-2009, 05:05 PM

Yeah, I plan on updating this one further. It's about as simple as it can get if you have the required tools already. I'm hoping that when I do the video for this, it'll help clarify a few things.

I also plan on linking to pertinent items regarding creating the OS X media, for example, as well.

(#20) Old

Default 10-17-2009, 07:20 PM

Here's my quick q's to get sync'ed up with the scene:

Where are you ppl purchasing the Alfa card? Ebay's got them for 39-50$.

I'd like to throw BT4 onto my second partition, and dualboot. But i havent' a clue as to how to actually init the installer from the ISO...VMware loads up an install of this...but how am i install/boot BT4 into the second partition? 1024x600 resolution.

What's the perfered method of backing/restoring a OSX drive? Timemachine? CCCloner? There's a freeware called ***Clonetool*** suggested for hackintosh. When I restore the data, how would i make this bootable? What about perfromance speeds? there's something about restoreing from time machine that makes the OS slower. I'd be affraid of CCC because of this too...

The fastest ways for restores, while keeping performance integrity is to isntall the OS from scratch, then reinstall each and every app, just copying over any user related data from the backup.

My main concern is the BT4 installing to the second partition...VMware installs from the iso just fine...but when i mount it...for the life of me i can't figure out jack what to do next!

Please Help!

---------- Post added at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

I feel that this guide is a major staple is what the forum is all about...a tip of my hat to you Anguish!

The youtube video walkthrough of this install method is simply amazing!

OSX 10.5.8|Dell Mini 10v|2GB RAM|160GB HD|A05 Bios|Dell EFI method (Anguish-Youtube Ver.) |TrippleBootWin7-OSX-Ubuntu