3G Mobile Broadband Discussion Discussion on 3G Mobile Broadband Packages

(#1) Old

Thumbs up WWAN fix! - 03-28-2010, 04:01 PM

If your WWAN card does not work after you upgraded you bios ("turn on hardware switch issue") here is a solution:

Tape PIN 20 of the 5530 card. This PIN is used for the (in Dell's case non-existent) hardware switch to control the radio of the card. Because of the buggy BIOS the card thinks the switch is turned off. Therefore it is impossible to turn on radio using the appropriate AT command (AT+CFUN=1).

Once PIN 20 is taped the card executes the command correctly and the Wireless connection manager (or any other equivalent software will work again).

How to find PIN 20: remove the card, turn it around (so you see the side which has no stickers). It is on the longer side, second from the key. Tape it, put the card back in and it's done.

Attached is a photo showing PIN 20.

Credits go to Sportler2k3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pin20-detail.jpg (113.9 KB, 618 views)

---
Dell Mini 9, 2GB RAM, 64GB Runcore SSD, 0.3 MP camera, BT, Dell 1505 802.11n card, Dell 5530 3G card, 3M Vikuiti ARMP200 Anti-Reflection-Film, OS X 10.6.4
  (#2) Old

Default 03-29-2010, 04:14 PM

I wish to thank you very very much ,
for 2 days i have been trying to turn on my radio and this fix worked 100%
i put some clear sellotape on the card and cut the excess off using a blade.
worked first time

Thanks again
  (#3) Old

Default Thanks. - 04-04-2010, 06:41 PM

This also solved my 3G connection problems. Using single boot OSX 10.6.2 with NBI 0.8.3 and a Vodafone UK pay monthly sim. No need for any additional modem scripts. Just put in the apn, username, and password (having selected sony ericsson as manufacturer) and it worked.

Before I taped pin 20, the modem appeared to authenticate successfully (looking at /var/log/ppp.log) but then disconnected immediately.

Dell Mini 9. 2Gb Ram. 32Gb Runcore SSD. Dell 5530 WWAN. Bluetooth. OSX 10.6.2. NBI 0.8.3.
  (#4) Old

Default 04-07-2010, 10:36 AM

Hi there - I just upgraded to A06 due to battery issues and have lost my 3g wwan.

Is there a goodwalkthrough for taking the 5530 card in/out at all please.

And is it easy!?

Many thanks,

Migmow
  (#5) Old

Default 05-09-2010, 08:04 PM

Hi

I have been searching these forums for a fix for a very strange problem with my DM9 (10.6.2 - mechdrew method) and have received a lot of useful advice fro another MDM member minihack. As a last resort I was pointed here for the pin 20 fix.

Brief outline of problem:

I am on a 3 monthly contract and can connect successfully using either Dell Mobile Broad band script or 3connect script (provided by minihack) or Sony Ericsson script.

BUT only able to load / view seven to ten web pages if I try to click a link or Google anything more the connecting wheel spins forever!

So do you think taping pin 20 would help as the radio is on else I would not even get those pages?
  (#6) Old

Default 05-19-2010, 10:02 PM

Legend. This fixed the problem for me, thanks!
  (#7) Old

Default 05-20-2010, 02:16 AM

The taping work which I've tried but I update my mini9 using Vostro A90 A06 which is an update to solve this prob. V_A90 A05 is Mini_9 A06 and V_A90 A06 is actually Mini_9 A07 but haven't seen Dell put up on the web yet.

Mini9 and A90 is the same hardware just called with a different name. I am using Ubuntu 10.04 and SL 10.6.3 and is all stable. Sound, mic, sleep, speedstep everything is working.
  (#8) Old

Smile Thanks - 06-29-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellMiniOSXUser View Post
If your WWAN card does not work after you upgraded you bios ("turn on hardware switch issue") here is a solution:

Tape PIN 20 of the 5530 card. This PIN is used for the (in Dell's case non-existent) hardware switch to control the radio of the card. Because of the buggy BIOS the card thinks the switch is turned off. Therefore it is impossible to turn on radio using the appropriate AT command (AT+CFUN=1).

Once PIN 20 is taped the card executes the command correctly and the Wireless connection manager (or any other equivalent software will work again).

How to find PIN 20: remove the card, turn it around (so you see the side which has no stickers). It is on the longer side, second from the key. Tape it, put the card back in and it's done.

Attached is a photo showing PIN 20.

Credits go to Sportler2k3
Thanks you got my dellmini 910 5530 card working again tried many drivers ect with no luck this got it working , im using win 7 pro latest bios , with the old vodaphone connect software orignaly for xp
once again many thanks and regards
  (#9) Old

Default 07-12-2010, 12:48 PM

Big thanks for OP. This fixed my "Device Switched Off" problem. After upgrading my BIOS to A06, my broadband just went dumb. I've reformatted twice, loaded all drivers, installed Vodafone Mobile Connect (from v9.3, 9.4 to 10) to no avail.

I followed the tip and voila! My WWAN is back online and can find the network again. Worked the first time, easy peasy.

Dell Support, though nice and supportive, was at a dead end. Vodafone was the same,..can't help at all. Good thing we've got forums like this.

Thanks again!!

GH
  (#10) Old

Default 08-17-2010, 11:43 AM

Ooops! The WWAN problem came back. I've already taped pin 20 and that worked for a few months until, BAM! The "Turn the hardware on switch" problem reared its ugly head again.

I've even retaped the WWAN but it still wouldn't work.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Thanks.

GH

Tags
5530, a06 bios, ericsson, f3507g, wwan