Dell Mini 9 Hardware Issues / Problems Inform everyone on any issues or problems with your Dell Mini 9 hardware.

(#1) Old

Default MiniNote10 Dead ! - 09-28-2013, 09:41 AM

A couple of days ago a bit of water got splashed on the Dell; it still worked that evening but cut out a couple of times. Next morning it was dead; no power lights. I left it in the airing cupboard overnight with the back off, hoping any damp would evaporate off. Still dead. Any suggestions about 'getting back to life' OR how I would be able to somehow get my files off the drive? (Ps, probably not relevant but it was running Ubuntu & had 2Gb installed RAM). Thanks any advice. RJ99
  (#2) Old

Default 09-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Sorry to hear about that. Pull the battery & let it dry a couple of days, but I suspect that the damage has already been done. You can buy an external enclosure for the hard disk in the Mini 10 in. It connects via USB to another computer using Linux (since you used Umbuntu) & you can move your files or just use it as a storage device. Another alternative, if you have a desktop computer check to see if you have the same connection on the motherboard as the hard drive of the Mini 10. Mine is older & I could connect it as another hard drive on the desktop. However, if the water got into your hard disk, you may not be able to recover.

I hope it works well for you.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#3) Old

Default 09-28-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
Sorry to hear about that. Pull the battery & let it dry a couple of days, but I suspect that the damage has already been done. You can buy an external enclosure for the hard disk in the Mini 10 in. It connects via USB to another computer using Linux (since you used Umbuntu) & you can move your files or just use it as a storage device. Another alternative, if you have a desktop computer check to see if you have the same connection on the motherboard as the hard drive of the Mini 10. Mine is older & I could connect it as another hard drive on the desktop. However, if the water got into your hard disk, you may not be able to recover.

I hope it works well for you.
Thanks. Do you happen to know exactly what I should google to find one of those enclosures? That sounds like a good route to try. (Will meanwhile continue with keeping the unit in a warm, dry place with battery & backplate off, hoping for a 'miracle'!). RJ99
  (#4) Old

Default 09-28-2013, 11:44 PM

External Hard Drive Enclosures - Newegg.com

This is one of the best company's for computer equipment. Do you want me to narrow it down a bit for the Mini 10 or are you OK selecting from this link?

Last edited by lswartz; 09-28-2013 at 11:49 PM.
  (#5) Old

Default 10-04-2013, 03:52 PM

Thanks ... I might try to find a vendor here in the UK - but (sorry, the answer is probably blindingly obvious): Q. what is the proper description of the drive - (all I know is it's '16Gb, solid state'). ie: Is there a specific descriptor I would need to give to ensure the 'right' enclosure (just in case the vendor is not familiar with the MiniNote)?
RJ99
  (#6) Old
Administrator

Default 10-04-2013, 07:22 PM

What exact model do you have? Dell hasn't made anything called "MiniNote10". You posted this in the Mini 9 section - is that what you have? Likely, as you talk about a 16GB SSD. If so, then you need an SSD that is specifically made for the Dell Mini 9 - nothing else will do. If the vendor isn't familiar with the Mini 9, then go find one that is. Physically the SSD is a 50mm MiniPCIe card but the electrical connection is custom and the drive uses a PATA (IDE), not SATA interface.

Steve
Mini 9|2GB RAM|64GB RunCore|Intel 5300|Windows 10
  (#7) Old

Default 10-04-2013, 11:00 PM

I meant, it's a Dell 910 (Mini 9); thanks (all) for the help
  (#8) Old

Default 10-05-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ99 View Post
I meant, it's a Dell 910 (Mini 9); thanks (all) for the help
Whoops! Those enclosures will not work for your Mini 9 since it has a unique SSD made only for the Mini 9.

I save all my files on a SDHC just in case mine fails. I also don't have room on the SSD for much besides Ubuntu.

Steve - That was a very good catch.

Last edited by lswartz; 10-05-2013 at 12:29 PM.
  (#9) Old

Default Dead MiniNote 910 - 10-05-2013, 08:03 PM

Thanks, okay it sounds like that route is out. Maybe anyway the problem is the motherboard ("No power lights; zero signs of life, different batteries/different power supplies").

I've just seen a 'non working' 910 on eBay which 'boots till bios and doesn’t load operating system but can be fixed if someone can try on it (sic))" - going cheap. Maybe worth getting so see whether between the two units I can salvage a working machine & hopefully retrieve my data.

Will give this thought & meanwhile any further thoughts/feedback from you guys will be valued.
  (#10) Old

Default 10-05-2013, 08:57 PM

If it boots to BIOS then you can boot Ubuntu using a USB stick & maybe recover your files. Just make sure to set the USB stick 1st in the boot order.

Any chance that you backed up your files somewhere, like Ubuntu One?