Dell Mini 10 Guides Guides, Articles and How-To's for the Dell Mini 10

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
  Old

Default Downgrade your Mini 10v BIOS to A04 (Requires Windows) - 09-03-2009, 11:03 PM

## Note: There are risks associated with BIOS updates. Follow this process at your own peril. ##

1. Create a DOS bootable USB stick on your Windows computer

1a] Download USBDOS tools from the end of this guide.
1b] Unzip and run HPUSBFW with...
Old 10-13-2009, 12:07 AM

You're welcome. If you worked that out, Snow Leopard installation will be a breeze.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:46 PM

Hi Max

Thanks for the how-to. I've just got my new 10v, and I need to downgrade from A06. But the bit about doorstops worries me. How big a risk is it? Is this something that only happens rarely?

Or would I be better to wait to see if there will be a fix for the problems with A06 (is that likely?).

Thanks.

Andy
Old 10-14-2009, 03:29 AM

A success here from A07. The reboot sure scared the crap out of me. I've done hundreds of hardware flashes in my time, never before has a system reboot itself like that. Im fully operational and stable!
Old 10-14-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycm View Post
How big a risk is it? Is this something that only happens rarely?
When people take short-cuts, decide they know a better way, refuse to follow instructions, or fail to take due care, they manage to screw up BIOS flashes and other critical things. If they don't, nothing should go wrong.

I just don't like to get blamed for other peoples problems! So:
- Do make sure you're plugged in to mains
- Do follow the instructions precisely
- Whatever you do do not interrupt the update once it's running
- Do not use the windows utility, as there are too many other processes running that could screw it up

And she'll be right (barring something extraordinary happening)!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:14 PM

Default worked great

this bios update worked great. thanks.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:19 AM

Default Thanks!

Thank you very much! I have now downgraded my bios to A04 in a few minutes... Let's see how Snow Leopard installation goes...
Old 10-20-2009, 10:47 PM

Thanks a bunch man, worked perfectly. Now for Snow
Old 10-26-2009, 05:41 PM

I actually have a far easier way of doing this, assuming you have Windows installed. Basically, you download the Windows A05 installer from Dell (that appears to be the only version they have for A05).

You then run it on Windows (I'm assuming you still have a working Windows setup on the Mini 10v). That program decompresses the Windows BIOS installer program into C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WINPHLASH, and immediately launches it. Open the file C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WINPHLASH\PHLASH.INI in notepad. In it you'll find the second line that says "Advanced=0". Change that to "Advanced=1", save, and close notepad.

Now launch WinPhlash.exe from that same directory (if it's already running, close it). Click the button "Advanced Settings", and in it, uncheck the box for "Flash only if BIOS version is newer than system". You can now go ahead and click Flash BIOS -- it'll downgrade your BIOS from A06 to A05 right there in Windows, no DOS, USB sticks, or other hassles. Worked perfectly for me.

Cheers,
-- ldoogy.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Question Which BIOS version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forscythe87 View Post
A success here from A07. The reboot sure scared the crap out of me. I've done hundreds of hardware flashes in my time, never before has a system reboot itself like that. Im fully operational and stable!
Was that a 'typo', or did you actually receive a Mini 10v with BIOS version A07 installed, as I thought the latest shipping vesion was A06... or was it actually a 10 you purchased?

Just trying to keep up to date with the latest firmware info etc!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:25 PM

Okay, allow me to improve on my earlier post. I have created a version of the A05 Windows installer that just works as is, with no special work required. All I did was changed a couple of flags in the installer program that allow it to downgrade your BIOS version, so it'll install A05 even if you have a higher version already installed.

You can download it at: http://files.me.com/eldade/6cbx6i

Good luck!
Comment

« Previous Tutorial | Next Tutorial »
Tutorial Tools