Dell Mini 10 Guides Guides, Articles and How-To's for the Dell Mini 10

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
  Old

Default Fool Proof Guide to installing OSX 10.5.8 on a Mini 10v! EVERYTHING WORKS!!! - 08-09-2009, 03:30 AM

Fool Proof Install Guide for a 100% Working Macbook Mini 10v!
Now updated for 10.5.8!!!

Before we start, Here are all of the files you will be needing:

Feel free to use me as a referral on click there ᐯᐯᐯ
Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVarwick View Post
Does this step need to be done before any of the install process to get USB mouse support to work with sleep or did you just make the changes after all the install? I've made the changes after all of the install (like the guide use to be) and my Mini still locks up with a black screen after sleep if I have my Logitech V450 nano plugged in.

Without the external mouse plugged in, it works 100%! With the USB mouse, it works 100% as long as I do not use sleep.

Is there any steps that you repeated to get it to work or just the BIOS settings? Do use "7. Workaround for getting Audio to work after sleep"?

Also do you have bluetooth or not? (I do not.)

Thanks for any suggestions!

EDIT: I just noticed you stuck with 10.5.7. I'm running 10.5.8. I wonder if that is why your external USB mouse works with sleep and mine does not.

VVarwick
I made the BIOS changes after (way after) the install of 10.5.7. At the time I did my install, the BIOS changes weren't in the guide. Initially the BIOS changes were after the installs of 10.5.7 and 10.5.8. Now they are at step 2, before the installation. Since my BIOS already had Legacy USB support enabled, the only BIOS change I made was to enable USB wakeup. I did not have to do the Workaround step 7. I do not have Bluetooth.

As far as the 10.5.8 vs 10.5.7, my philosophy was if it ain't broke don't fix it. After reading various horror stories about 10.5.8, I figured I wait for the dust to settle before updating. Hopefully reydemia might chime in about any 10.5.8 sleep issues.

Reydemia's guide was the first procedure that actually worked on my 10v. The other procedure I tried (basic NetbookInstaller 0.8.1) left the system with only internal speaker audio and no audio after sleep. After attempting to decipher what others were doing to overcome this difficiency, I only got more and more confused. Luckily I could afford to do a complete re-install using reydemia's procedure and it just worked! So if he says there are no issues with 10.5.8, I would serious think about doing a re-install from scratch and follow each step to the letter.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:25 PM

Smile im new here

y doesnt anyone answer my questions on page 9, and if the reason is because of my name it does not mean that. Its the name of a scifi book character.
The Maximum Ride Series:
Angel Experiment
Schools out forever
Saving the world and other extreme sports
final warning
Max
Fang

so as you can see my name does not mean something nasty if u don't believe me Google it up

i just want a answer to my questions please im new here, but not new with tech
Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil View Post
Any other suggestions? I tried that (again) with the same result. Garbled grey screen and a spinning pinwheel but safe mode works consistently.
It seems that something you have done in the past is preventing things from working, like a system file is corrupt, at this point I would recommend starting fresh and following the guide from start to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgencopy View Post
Fool Proof Install Guide for a 100% Working Macbook Mini 10v!
Now updated for 10.5.8!!!

Genius. Sheer genius.

Updated to 10.5.8. Tried the kext install. No sound, but my trackpad went berserk. Rolled back via Time Machine. Restarted. Trackpad a trifle touchy but no more freezing then leaping across the screen. Oddly, 10.5.8 still shows in "about this mac" even after rollback. Think about rolling back farther but everything else besides sound seems to be working.

Went about my day. Fired up a video later that afternoon and hear weird tinny sounds. Cannot determine source of noise. Look around, puzzled. Could it be coming from the Mini? Bang the volume button on the keyboard and sound, glorious sound! (Cue happy dance.) Mini goes to sleep. Wakes up. No sound.

Restart=sound. Follow instructions for what to do if Mini goes to sleep and wakes up mute. Restart. Check sound. Still working. Put Mini to sleep. Wake mini up. Sound works. Mic works. Everything works as advertised. Astounding.

(Raises a Maui Brewing Company Big Swell IPA in the direction of the mainland and makes a toast of gratitude.)

Mahalo reydemia. Mahalo Mini forum members.
Haha this is perhaps my favorite comment on the whole thread and thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackshaw View Post
How does this method handle Software Updates? Do we have to go through the DellEFI procedure for OS Updates only, or is it necessary for security updates and application updates as well? I plan to stay at 10.5.7 for a while, because its working so well, but if there are required updates, I'd like to include them as long as it doesn't disrupt my working system.
As long as it isnt a major OS update, it should go through just fine. And if for some reason you can't boot after an update, just boot into safe mode and run DellEFI for 10v with the usual(bootloader,extensions,gma kext)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngeowwh View Post
+1 happy owner of a OSX Mini 10v. 10.5.7, A06 bios, sound, headphones all working great so far. Few niggly things I could use some help with:

+ I've figured it out now. Gotta have it in the /Extra/Themes. DOH. Works now!

- Seem to have a problem with restarting. It would shutdown then black out. But it won't restart. The power LED stays on until I press and hold the power button to hard kill it and power up again. Shutting down works fine. The system reboots really fast!

- Minor sleep issues. On wake, there are some glitches in the display (title bar looks a bit off), sound after sleep is unpredictable. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Not sure what's the trigger. Anyway, it's no big deal, even MacBooks have some sleep issue or another…
Hmm, attempt this and give me your results:
download the zip in this post:Msi Wind Forums • View topic - Chameleon 2.0 RC1 (possible) deepsleep fix
run DellEFI for 10v again checking install bootloader and install extensions
restart then extract the archive.zip and drag the "Boot" file from that folder to the HDD icon on your desktop and overwrite the existing one. restart.

Also, if you only have 1GB of RAM, it helps if you close out of as many applications as possible to prevent a lockup when attempting to restore the hibernation image to your ram. Because basically what your mini does when it goes to sleep is take everything in the ram and write it to the HDD, when you wake it, it copies all of that back over to the ram...but if you were using say 950mb of ram when you put it to sleep it will freeze up when it attempts to place it back because the action of doing waking+the hibernation image equal more than the amount of ram available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVarwick View Post
Does this step need to be done before any of the install process to get USB mouse support to work with sleep or did you just make the changes after all the install? I've made the changes after all of the install (like the guide use to be) and my Mini still locks up with a black screen after sleep if I have my Logitech V450 nano plugged in.

Without the external mouse plugged in, it works 100%! With the USB mouse, it works 100% as long as I do not use sleep.

Is there any steps that you repeated to get it to work or just the BIOS settings? Do use "7. Workaround for getting Audio to work after sleep"?

Also do you have bluetooth or not? (I do not.)

Thanks for any suggestions!

EDIT: I just noticed you stuck with 10.5.7. I'm running 10.5.8. I wonder if that is why your external USB mouse works with sleep and mine does not.

VVarwick
No the BIOS setting should work before after whenever. I do not have bluetooth either. The trick is making sure "USB wake support" is on you can toggle the others to see what combination works for you. Perhaps attempt to rerun DellEFI for 10v with the usual settings of(bootloader,extensions,old gma kext) and restart...it can't hurt, but it could fix a problem.

OH if you did not follow the guide from start to finish...it could be that you need to regenerate your dsdt.aml file

Quote:
I don't have a mac, so will that program that emulates the mac file system on windows will it work on the mini 10v or is it just for mini 9. (aimed at reydemia but other answers welcome to, and if so can i have the name of the program. (i forgot the name sorry)
and does the tweak to resize to large app work?
does the the suite of mini drivers (so u don't have to rely on bootloader anymore) work and if so what OS should i install them on 10.5.6, 10.5.7,or 10.5.8
I am sorry maximum ride...just next time write one post instead of 5. anyways, I am not sure about a windows method of installing OSX. I believe the old way was to use the boot123? type11? I'm not sure, I remember gizmodo.com had a guide on it based off of info from this forum. you can follow it to get the install up and running, then come back here and jump in at step 4.

yes, the tweak to re size windows works, but you must do it manually every time you boot...or just make an automater app for it.

and no the drivers work on 10.5.6-8(and more, but I'm just saying)
Old 08-14-2009, 02:59 AM

Worked for me on the first try (had to reboot safe mode 3 times)

Sticking with 10.5.7

Thanks,
Old 08-14-2009, 05:18 AM

[QUOTE=reydemia;91710]
Open terminal
Type:
Code:
defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 0.8
This will shrink every app you open next.
Type:
Code:
defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1.0
to make the windows return to normal. YOU MUST DO THIS BEFORE YOU SHUT DOWN.

Are you saying that if you shut down after doing this, you cannot return to normal display size after restarting. Or does something worse happen?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recoil View Post
Okay, this is a bit tricky. Two questions:

1. If I was using a previous version of DellEFI, what do I need to do to use yours because I want working audio?
  2. In my case, I can't seem to boot into osx normally I get what appears to be corrupt video, though I can boot into safe mode ok. Here's what I'm getting:
    http://consultingmode.com/rob/mini.jpg
Thanks!
I had this and diverse other problems with trackpad clic-drag etc until I deleted all the Dell related folders and files off the root folder, then re-installed as Reymedia suggests in the second part of stage 5 in the guide. NB: very time you repeat re-installs of the Dell files from DellEFI for 10v, you get a few redundant files in an extra .bak folder on the root. I found these sometimes interfere with the system causing white screen and dodgy trackpad behaviour. Get rid of them.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Hmm, attempt this and give me your results:
download the zip in this post:Msi Wind Forums • View topic - Chameleon 2.0 RC1 (possible) deepsleep fix
run DellEFI for 10v again checking install bootloader and install extensions
restart then extract the archive.zip and drag the "Boot" file from that folder to the HDD icon on your desktop and overwrite the existing one. restart.
Just did that. Everything's still working. However, I couldn't just drag the boot file from the archive to /. So I had to sudo move. It rebooted fine (RESTART works now!).

Sleep and wake, sound, mic and camera works! reydemia, you are awesome!
Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 AM

Question about the trackpad…

1. using this guide, what trackpad driver is installed?

2. Is there a way to enable tap click? (or is that like a really bad idea?)

3. Disable the button area from being a touch sensitive?

4. I can't get the edge scroll to work using this guide.

I know the trackpad hell has been described in other threads, still I'm wondering whether it's worth trying out Melkort's drivers? (I miss Mac's 2-finger scrolling).

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:04 AM

Default For those having trouble with A06 BIOS

I got my brand new 10v at 2pm this afternoon and by 11pm it's up and working on 10.5.8... the real pain was the BIOS.. I've dropped it down to A04 and everything installs fine.. I was getting the 'reboot...' message half way thru the install when using A06.

Not sure if I should try to update the BIOS (back to A06) now I have everything working ?!?!

Thought it may help some of you our there who have brand new machines and are having problems.

Great tutorial BTW - kudos to you guys !

Cheers
Old 08-14-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumRide View Post
I don't have a mac, so will that program that emulates the mac file system on windows will it work on the mini 10v or is it just for mini 9. (aimed at reydemia but other answers welcome to, and if so can i have the name of the program. (i forgot the name sorry)

To install OS X when you only have a Windows machine available follow this guide:

Old Guide | DellEFI | mechdrew

Look at section 'G) Installing Mac OS X Using Two USB Drives (Windows only)'.

That is what I used and it worked perfectly.
Comment

« Previous Tutorial | Next Tutorial »
Tutorial Tools