Dell Mini 10v Mac OS X Discussion Discussion dedicated to installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini 1011

(#1) Old

Default Dell Mini 10v Hackintosh WiFi Problems - 01-25-2010, 01:23 AM

Hello all! One problem with my Hackintosh, one question for clarification.

First, the problem. I've been working on getting a Hackintosh working on my Dell Mini 10v using the guide provided by Gizmodo with Snow Leopard (How To: Hackintosh a Dell Mini 10v Into the Ultimate Snow Leopard Netbook - Dell mini 10v hackintosh - Gizmodo).

After the installation is done, I get poor performance from the WiFi card. The computer intermittently recognizes the card, saying it's not installed. In initial setup of the OS, when you get to the screen where you select a wireless network, it works. Then when you're done and try to go online, it no longer works. In System Preferences, I try to add a new connection with the little + sign, but Airport does not come up as an option to select. I've had it recognize it for a day or two, then overnight it'll no longer recognize it, giving the message that "Airport is not installed"

I used NetbookBootMaker 0.8.3 RC5 to prepare the boot drive, an external hard drive connected via USB. The Dell Mini 10v is fairly standard, running on BIOS A06. I don't know how to figure out what wireless card I have, how can I tell? Installed using a normal retail copy of the Snow Leopard upgrade disc.

Question for clarification: What do you use NetbookInstaller for? I'm unsure when to run it in the installation process, how it helps the Hackintosh.
  (#2) Old

Default wifi - 01-25-2010, 01:40 AM

If you have a 10v with BIOS 6 install should work (it is what I have). Once you do the install it is important to run the latest netbook installer, you can find links to it in another thread. It is 0.8.3 RC4 . You run the netbook installer after you have installed the OSX. Then you do all your updates for your OS. After the last update run the same netbook installer again to iron out any bugs. Note that I no longer have any windows operating system left on the 10v. Its pure mac!
  (#3) Old
Guru

Default 01-25-2010, 02:16 AM

Actually, the newest version is 0.8.3 Final and you can get it here-
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...l-release.html

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB Runcore | 2 GIGS RAM
10V | OS X 10.6.7 | NBI 20100616212351 |BIOS 06|160 GB|1 GIG RAM| 6 Cell Dell Battery
Functioning Hibernation

Back up Mini 9| OS X 10.6.7| NBI 20100616212351| BIOS 05 | 32 GB SuperTalent | 2 GIGS RAM
  (#4) Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-25-2010, 12:12 PM

Hi Spartacus210, and welcome to the Forum!

This is one of the subjects I am currently looking into myself, as it would appear that some Wi-Fi cards perform 'better' under OS X & Snow Leopard than others.

I was just going to ask you which model of card you have, but I see that you have already mentioned that you would like to find out yourself!

You could always unscrew the small removable panel on the bottom of your Mini 10V I suppose, and have a look... best to turn it off first though!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#5) Old

Default 01-25-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montala View Post
Hi Spartacus210, and welcome to the Forum!

This is one of the subjects I am currently looking into myself, as it would appear that some Wi-Fi cards perform 'better' under OS X & Snow Leopard than others.

I was just going to ask you which model of card you have, but I see that you have already mentioned that you would like to find out yourself!

You could always unscrew the small removable panel on the bottom of your Mini 10V I suppose, and have a look... best to turn it off first though!
Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at it tonight when I get back from work and update the thread.

I re-prepared the external drive with the latest version of NetbookBootMaker, I'm going to retry the installation with that and the latest version of NetbookInstaller. Thanks for the clarification on the steps for installation.
  (#6) Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-25-2010, 05:48 PM

If you are going to redo the instalation, the general opinion on here seems to be that MechDrew's guides are the better ones to follow, rather than the Gizmodo one.

If you don't have access to a Mac, then this is the one to go for!

Good Luck!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#7) Old

Default 01-25-2010, 11:17 PM

Ok, I've got the back of the Dell open. Which number on the wireless card is the model number? There's like a billion. I think it's the one "DW1397"
  (#8) Old

Exclamation Wi-Fi Problem Solved for me.... - 01-29-2010, 02:28 PM

I had the same problem; Could not start wireless. I rebooted. Went into bios and disabled wireless. Booted and said that there was no wireless installed. Rebooted, went into bios, and re-enabled wireless.... viola! AirCard works flawless!!!! Hope this helps someone.
  (#9) Old
Super Moderator

Default 01-29-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus210 View Post
Ok, I've got the back of the Dell open. Which number on the wireless card is the model number? There's like a billion. I think it's the one "DW1397"
Yes... that's the one!

It is Dell's standard Wireless 802.11b/g card, and should be fine!

Good Luck!

(#10) Old

Default 01-29-2010, 06:14 PM

Thanks for all the help guys (gals? Ah, who am I kidding!) I'm at work, but when I get home I'll try the BIOS trick. Also good to know I've got the card that works in there. Will update later today.

Tags
hackintosh, mini 10v, problem, wireless