Dell Mini 9 OS X Discussion Discussion for installing and setting up Mac OS X on the Dell Mini and Vostro A90

(#41) Old

Default 01-07-2011, 02:03 AM

jamesshoe: Sounds good! I tried two different "sound fix" things before (when I was on 10.6.4.), but neither gave me sound-in.

I am now on 10.6.5. (Mini 9, dual boot w/Win 7) still with no sound-in. I plan to update to 10.6.6. today.

What steps should I take to get working sound-in after I update to 10.6.6.?

Thanks for your info!
  (#42) Old

Default 01-07-2011, 08:03 AM

gamera

just follow instructions in posts 1 and 5 of this thread and you should be good to go.

james
  (#43) Old

Default 01-08-2011, 05:40 AM

I applied this patch on 10.6.5 and it gave me interna mic. Worked great. However, after upgrading to 10.6.6 I lost internal mic again. After following the same steps to apply the patch again, the system ran into kernel panic after reboot. So I booted the NB from USB and internal mic seems to be working. However, after I ran NBI to restore the ability to boot, the internal mic is broken again. Did I miss something with the patch?

-----------

Nevermind. I guess must have been operator error. I applied the patch again and it works fine. Audio is up and running.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.6 Via USB Mac | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | NBI 0.8.4 Special | 1.3MP
  (#44) Old

Default 02-26-2011, 05:19 PM

It looks like a few recent posts fell off this thread (or I'm just to daft to find them), so I'll reply to share this in case it is helpful to someone.

I applied Akki's sound/mic fix to my mini9 10.6.5 and it worked like a charm, giving me sound and internal mic. When I upgraded to iTunes 10.1.2, I suddenly lost the sound again and then botched something up trying to run NBI, ending up unable to boot; period.

Loath to do a wipe and clean install, I tried booting from a NBM USB stick to try and run some version of NBI to at least salvage some of the install.

After multiple attempts I ended up creating a USB stick with NBM that contained the 10.6 install (from the CD) as well as the latest version of NBI 8.4. Launched the SL install, ran NBI 8.4 from the Utilities tab and was then able to boot the mini in safe mode and re-run NBI 8.5 pre that I have on it.

I had to replace the ACL268.kext and AppleHDA.kext again and re-run UpdateExtra.app, but now all is well in my world

Dell Mini 9 | Bios A05 | OS X 10.6.6 | NBI 0.8.5 pre | 32 GB SSD | 2 GB RAM

stumped?
try mechdrew
  (#45) Old

Default No audio after sleep? - 02-28-2011, 07:47 AM

Running 10.6.6 on a Dell Mini 9, using Netbookinstaller 0.8.5 pre, and the Audio fix provided by Flames (referenced in this forum). Everything works well, except that if I put the laptop to sleep (either from the Apple menu or by closing the lid) there is no audio when I wake up.

If I restart, then everything is fine.

Has anyone experienced this? Are there any known fixes for this?

Thanks in advance!
  (#46) Old
Expert Member

Default 03-01-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
Running 10.6.6 on a Dell Mini 9, using Netbookinstaller 0.8.5 pre, and the Audio fix provided by Flames (referenced in this forum). Everything works well, except that if I put the laptop to sleep (either from the Apple menu or by closing the lid) there is no audio when I wake up.

If I restart, then everything is fine.

Has anyone experienced this? Are there any known fixes for this?

Thanks in advance!
I'm on 1.6.6, NBI 0.8.4 and with the fix and no I come back from sleep fine. Maybe its 0.8.5 related.

mini 9 | 2GB RAM | 16GB STEC SDD | BIOS A06, USB Legacy OFF | No Bluetooth | OSX 10.6.7 | NBI 0.8.5pre w/ ALC268 | Broadcom2Airport
MINI Cooper '02 | 1.6L | CVT | Moonroof | Red w/ White Stripes

Want the ALC268 mini 9 sound fix? Get it here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2377323/Mini9SoundPatch.zip
  (#47) Old

Default 03-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesshoe View Post
]Got it working :-)

I deleted the AppleHDA.kext from the Mini9Ext folders and ran UpdateExtra.app
I rebooted and now I've got the Internal Mic back... excellent!

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.6 | 2Gb RAM | 64Gb RunCore SSD | Akki sound fix (now working ! ) | USB Legacy Disabled | BT Module (off)
I updated to 10.6.6, then followed Akki's sound fix procedure (twice), and the internal mike still didn't work.

After seeing James' post, I tried his fix to remove the AppleHDA.kext from the Mini9Ext folder, and that did the trick. Now the internal mike and speakers work fine.

Thanks to Akki, James, and everybody here for all of the good info.

Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.6 | 2G Ram | Bios A05 | 32 GB Runcore SSD

Last edited by youfo; 03-02-2011 at 04:07 PM.
  (#48) Old

Default 03-11-2011, 09:39 PM

thanks guys. this fix really got my internal mic working on 10.6.6 (mini9)!

:-)

got a kp the first time, so i did a restore and tried again - this time it all worked like a charm!

YOU GUYS ROCK! :-)
  (#49) Old

Default 03-13-2011, 09:05 AM

Greetings from Japan, all.
First post here, and first attempt at squeezing SL on my Mini9. - Thanks to all the info/guidance on this great forum, I was able to get 10.6.3 running, and up to 10.6.6 after installing updates! Very stoked on my new MacNetbook. (^-^)/

Only thing..I have no sound or mic..I'm going to try Akki's tips, but before I do - will it work on Bios A03? Or should I upgrade my Bios before I even attempt?

I can follow step by step directions, but to be honest, I'm not the most computer savy..
I'm hoping for an easy, stress free fix..(The kernel-panics I had at install were scary enough the 1st time around!)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Domo arigato..
K.

Last edited by Kaito; 03-13-2011 at 09:12 AM.
  (#50) Old

Default 03-17-2011, 02:10 AM

Got everything working. (in Bios A03...)
Just wanted to say thanks! - Arigato!