Dual Booting All discussion on Dual Booting 2 operating systems (or even more!) on the Dell Mini

(#1) Old

Default How to remove Windows Boot Manager? - 11-23-2009, 09:27 AM

I am running 10.6.2 and Windows 7. I can boot into both fine using Chameleon.

Originally, I was using EasyBCD 1.7.2, but uninstalled it. However, I still get the Windows Boot Manager screen and wish to get rid of it.

I tried msconfig, but it doesn't list any OSes at all under "Boot".
I tried both EasyBCD 17.2. and the new beta (2) but both say they can't find some MBR data and quit (1.7.2 offers to "repair Vista", but I declined!)

It's not a big deal, but I'd like to remove the small wait before Windows 7 loads. How can I get rid of Windows Boot Manager?
  (#2) Old
Expert Member

Default 11-24-2009, 12:54 PM

Check out the triple boot threads, the section where it talks about setting the active partition to be the Windows partition using your Windows install DVD (or flash drive if you have that).

Boot into Windows and then use EasyBCD, I'd recommend the 2.0 beta and choose the reset or rebuild bootloader or BCD option. I haven't used EasyBCD for awhile so I'm not sure of the exact wording. I think its in the utility section. Perhaps someone else can chime in with more exact wording. Once you have it right the only thing that will happen is when you boot your mini it will go directly into Windows.

Then, going back to the guides, set the active partition back to OS X and you'll be all set.

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#3) Old

Default 11-25-2009, 02:33 AM

Thanks for your response but, as I wrote, EasyBCD (new or old) do not work. My goal is to use Chameleon, not Windows Boot Manager. I can boot into both OSs fine using Chameleon, so I now want to get rid of Windows Boot Manager.

Can anyone help?
  (#4) Old
Expert Member

Default 11-25-2009, 01:44 PM

I understand, read what I write before.

1) Change the active partition so Windows will boot using its bootloader
2) Use EasyBCD to remove the full bootloader and replace it with the default windows bootloader so now it will boot windows directly without the menu
3) Change the active patition back to OS X to get Chameleon

Mini1: Vostro A90, Black, 2G, 1.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 64G SuperTalent, OS X 10.6.4
Mini2: Mini9, Black, 2G, 0.3 Webcam, Bluetooth, 32G RunCore, OS X/Win 7, internal PCI-e SHDC Reader
Mini3: Mini10v. Black, 2G, Webcam, 640G HD, OS X 10.5.8/Win 7/Ubuntu [Hibernate w/NBI 0.8.3 RC4]
Dropbox Referral
  (#5) Old

Default 11-26-2009, 09:29 AM

bsoplinger1:

Thank you. I tried as you suggested. Now, I longer have Windows Boot Manager.

However, I can no longer boot into Snow Leopard. I set the partition active under Windows, but it just gives me a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen - No Chameleon. If I then set the Windows partition active, I can boot into that but, no matter how many times I've tried, it won't boot the Mac side. I even tried setting the other, smaller partition active, but that only gives me "No Operating System". I tried repairing Windows Startup, but that does nothing. So, I can currently only boot into Windows. Netbook CD doesn't load the SL CD now, for some reason. Do you (or anyone) have any suggestions?
  (#6) Old
Expert Member

Default 11-26-2009, 04:35 PM

That's got me stumped. My suggestion would be to boot with your OS X media (DVD or flash drive) and reinstall Chameleon but you say it won't boot now. Are you sure you used the Windows DVD to set the active partition back to OS X after you got rid of the Windows bootloader? Off the top of my head its ctrl+F6 or some odd key combo to bring up a DOS prompt in a window. diskpart. select drive 1. select partition 2 (or wherever OS X is, use list partition to find it). active. exit. then reboot.

Dropbox Referral
  (#7) Old

Default 12-02-2009, 12:40 PM

Just in case anyone has the same problem, I finally fixed it after about oh, a million times of running diskpart off the CD and Windows:

I couldn't book off my old Netbook CD RC3 (it gave me a circle with a line through it - no smoking symbol), so I downloaded the latest one. I safe-booted and re-installed Chameleon. Now Windows wouldn't boot. I used the Windows Cd to make it active again and removed the EasyBCD settings. Now Mac wouldn't boot (and if I tried the old "make it active under diskpart" thing that used to work, it would give me only that cursor again - weird.). So, I safe booted under Netbook CD again and reinstalled Chameleon without making it active under diskpart. Again. Now, all is well and I don't have the damn Windows Boot Manager anymore. It only took a few days....

Anyway, thanks bsop!