Dell Mini 10 Guides Guides, Articles and How-To's for the Dell Mini 10

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
  Old

Default Complete Guide to Dual Booting 10v with Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.2 - 12-20-2009, 05:23 PM

UPDATED Jan 3 2010 to support adding Windows 7 on the second partition of an already functional Snow Leopard install For posterity, the original version of this guide is attached as a text file below.

With this guide I’ve tried to list every single...
Old 09-14-2010, 05:14 AM

I did with EasyBCD and everything is fine now.
yes I am following mechdrew method but your guide helped me in partitioning part.... thax ..

Now I want to upgrade SL from 10.6 to 10.6.4 should I just update from menu Or do I have to do anything special?

>>From the Apple menu, select Software Update and upgrade to 10.6.2

Can I do this with 10.6.4?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx View Post
I did with EasyBCD and everything is fine now.
yes I am following mechdrew method but your guide helped me in partitioning part.... thax ..

Now I want to upgrade SL from 10.6 to 10.6.4 should I just update from menu Or do I have to do anything special?

>>From the Apple menu, select Software Update and upgrade to 10.6.2

Can I do this with 10.6.4?
You'll need to download the 10.6.4 Combo updated and update from that. At the end of the update, it will ask you to restart. Don't restart until after you run Netbookinstaller one more time and select regenerate DSDT and install 10v drivers. Then restart and you'll be fine.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to QuickPaws Send a message via AIM to QuickPaws

Great, great guide. I screwed it up a couple times, and missed the step that says NetBookBootMaker so that the SL stick is bootable - figured that out this morning though, and everything works great. Win7 Pro, and OSX 10.6.2. Kinda on topic - Does anyone see a reason for me to update to 10.6.4? ( everything works, that's why I'm asking ) prior to this, I had a fully functional 10.6.2 with hibernate working somehow.

Thanks again for the guide, this is the best thing ever. *highfive*
Old 09-27-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickPaws View Post
Great, great guide. I screwed it up a couple times, and missed the step that says NetBookBootMaker so that the SL stick is bootable - figured that out this morning though, and everything works great. Win7 Pro, and OSX 10.6.2. Kinda on topic - Does anyone see a reason for me to update to 10.6.4? ( everything works, that's why I'm asking ) prior to this, I had a fully functional 10.6.2 with hibernate working somehow.

Thanks again for the guide, this is the best thing ever. *highfive*
No real reason to upgrade if you are happy with 10.6.2. I'm sure there are various bug fixes in 10.6.3 and .4 as well as security patches. I upgraded and had to restart in recovery mode and then re-run NBI to solve an unrecognized CPU kernel panic. And I have found that on occasion when I boot into 10.6.4, the mouse and keyboard are unrecognized. A reboot solves that. SO...I'd probably stick at 10.6.2 unless the fixes for .3 and .4 affect something critical to your work:

About the Mac OS X v10.6.3 Update
About the Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update

Glad to hear the guide worked for you!
Old 09-28-2010, 02:46 PM

Send a message via ICQ to QuickPaws Send a message via AIM to QuickPaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdoc View Post
No real reason to upgrade if you are happy with 10.6.2. I'm sure there are various bug fixes in 10.6.3 and .4 as well as security patches. I upgraded and had to restart in recovery mode and then re-run NBI to solve an unrecognized CPU kernel panic. And I have found that on occasion when I boot into 10.6.4, the mouse and keyboard are unrecognized. A reboot solves that. SO...I'd probably stick at 10.6.2 unless the fixes for .3 and .4 affect something critical to your work:

About the Mac OS X v10.6.3 Update
About the Mac OS X v10.6.4 Update

Glad to hear the guide worked for you!

Nope, no reason for me to update, the machine isn't anything detrimental, it's my "upstairs playing xbox, stuck on some mundane task that isn't blatantly obvious to figure out, so I'll find the solution on Gamefaqs while surfing" machine. Also, one thing to add, I installed OSX via the Mechdrew method, I then used THAT install with YOUR guide and diskutility // NBI//NBBM to make the SL Install stick. Worked like a charm.

Thanks again! /bow

( sorry, I play alot of WoW )
Old 09-29-2010, 02:58 PM

Hi Doc,
I followed your guide and did a dual boot on a 10V for a friend as per your guide.. All went well for sometime until the friend accidently downloaded and installed the upgrade for 10.6.3 and now the Mac side does not work. The Win 7 Side works well and the Chameleon bootloader seems to be working at the start. How can i repair or reinstall the Mac side of the partition without going through the whole process again. I still have the USB SL boot stick with a bootable SL loaded on it.
Can you please advise?
Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Rav
Old 09-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herojam View Post
Hi Doc,
I followed your guide and did a dual boot on a 10V for a friend as per your guide.. All went well for sometime until the friend accidently downloaded and installed the upgrade for 10.6.3 and now the Mac side does not work. The Win 7 Side works well and the Chameleon bootloader seems to be working at the start. How can i repair or reinstall the Mac side of the partition without going through the whole process again. I still have the USB SL boot stick with a bootable SL loaded on it.
Can you please advise?
Thank you in advance.

Cheers

Rav
Make a new bootable SL drive (or update the one you currently have) by running the current version of NetBookMaker on it (assuming you have a Mac, if not see below), then boot into the installer and re-run NetBookInstaller from the Utilities menu of the first install screen. This will solve your issue.

If you don't have a Mac, you'll need to boot the 10v into SL using the 'recovery=y' flag which is entered at the Chameleon screen. That will launch you into a "safe mode" of SL, where you can then re-run the latest version of NetBookInstaller (downloaded to a USB drive if necessary).

This recovery=y flag is actually the easiest way to do things, and is discussed in detail in this thread:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/gene...te-thread.html
Old 10-21-2010, 08:37 AM

I followed this to the letter and after step 16 I rebooted and I can only boot into Windows 7, OSX doesn't even show up, neither does chameleon.

Update: Tried again and this time started with a completed blank canvass. I managed to install both OS's but when I reboot I get a split second of text, something about F2 for BIOS or F12 for Boot Options, if I press nothing I just get a blank screen with a flashing _ and nothing happens.

Update 2: Rebooted into OSX install USB and reran NBI, with only Chameleon selected. Restarted, OSX disk shows up, pressed any key and then both OSX and Windows 7 showed up. THINK I'VE CRACKED IT
Old 10-28-2010, 08:00 PM

Need help with Universal Time Clock (UTC). I've followed instructions for the regedit modification. I've created the "RealTimeIsUniversal" key but I have no idea how to set the value to "1". Once the key is created the value is automatically set to 0x00000000 (0). When I right click on the RealTimeIsUniversal Key and click modify this is what I see 0000 00 00 00 00 What should this look like after the value is modified to 1. Every time I try to make an edit to this I get invalid DWORD (32bit) value.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:43 AM

Default Almost there

I recently did a successful SL install on my 10v using 2 usb drives. One with SL (created using transmac) and the other smaller usb with NBI 0.8.4 RC1 on it. I was then able to successfully partition my SSD afterwards. All good there. I then followed your guide and installed WIN7 using a third usb drive (wintoflash). Here is where I got a little lost in Phase 6. I felt like I was able to follow all the way thru to number 16 and seemed as if all was falling into place, including the diskpart commands and setting the drive active. Once I excited out of the command shell I wasn't able to boot into both OS's. Currently I am booting straight into WIN7, unless I insert the NBI installer and boot from usb. Then I get the 2 hdd drive icons (one is OSX the other is Windows NTFS). I can and have booted into OSX using the NBI usb drive choosing OSX and ran NBI installer in the OSX applications tab...unchecking everything except the install Chameleon 2 NBI (hibernation says currently disabled btw)then tried it again with install 10v extensions and regenerate DsDt.ami and still no luck. My sense is I am missing something simple. Any help is really appreciated.

Update: Solved using thread below: (Thanks Oscar!!)

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...installed.html

I missed setting OSX partition active:

[How to] Setting Your Partition "Active" Using Fdisk in MacOSX - InsanelyMac Forum

A Little trick I discovered in Step 4 using fdisk is to use the sudo command:

sudo(space)fdisk(space)-e(space)/dev/rdisk0

After this command I was asked to enter my password at the cmd prompt. (case sensitive) Because I had installed OSX first, mine was Partition 1.

Rebooted into OSX (don't forget to run NBI again) and finally saw the diminishing graph bar (hit the space bar), that you need to get to the boot loader =)

Hope this helps...

Last edited by Rafeaustin; 11-10-2011 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: Solved
Comment

« Previous Tutorial | Next Tutorial »
Tutorial Tools