Dell Mini 10 Guides Guides, Articles and How-To's for the Dell Mini 10

Comment

Tutorial Tools Display Modes
  Old

Default Complete Guide to Dual Booting 10v with Windows 7 and OSX 10.6.2 - 12-20-2009, 05:23 PM

UPDATED Jan 3 2010 to support adding Windows 7 on the second partition of an already functional Snow Leopard install For posterity, the original version of this guide is attached as a text file below.

With this guide I’ve tried to list every single...
Old 07-20-2010, 06:39 PM

I got it, thanks a lot. That was great info. File is under /Extra. Now its time to modify the theme in Chameleon. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdoc View Post
Yes, that is quite easy. You'll need to edit the boot.plist file (which you'll only be able to see if you checked the "show netbook installer files" when you installed NBI) and add the boot menu key. I don't have the details with me (I'm on vacation), but you should be able to use that to find information on configuring the Chameleon bootloader preferences. Searching the forums here will probably find it for you, and I'm also pretty sure I already answered this question in the comments above (and perhaps even posted the Chameleon documentation pdf somewhere here).

The Chameleon project home page and forum can be found here:

Chameleon: Bring Mac OS X Developers Together

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

Did a little quick googling. The key you want to add to boot.plist is this:

<key>Instant Menu<key>
<string>Yes|No<string>

Taken from this thread:

Official Chameleon Docs

You'll need to figure out how to find and edit your boot.plist file on your own--it's really simple but I have to run and can't guarantee I'll visit this forum again for a few days.

Good luck!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:28 PM

Hi

Ive managed to get both SL and W7 installed, but im having trouble with phase 6 - Once you get to the first SL install screen, go to the “Utilities” menu at the top of the screen and select “NetBookInstaller”

When i go to the utilities menu, there doesnt seem to be the NetBookInstaller option on the list.

Does anyone know what im doing wrong?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont_be_hasty View Post
Hi

Ive managed to get both SL and W7 installed, but im having trouble with phase 6 - Once you get to the first SL install screen, go to the “Utilities” menu at the top of the screen and select “NetBookInstaller”

When i go to the utilities menu, there doesnt seem to be the NetBookInstaller option on the list.

Does anyone know what im doing wrong?

Thanks
NetbookInstaller is added to that menu when you run NetBookMaker and point it to your SL install media in Phase 2. Did you do that?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:29 PM

VirusDoc,
We chatted in the beginning of the year and you helped me through my first Hackintosh on a Dell Mini 10v, I am now on my 3rd Hackintosh and I am running into a problem I cant seem to solve.

When i goto the disk utility to reformat the HD during the MAC OS install I do not see the local HD of the computer, its not grayed out it is just not showing up.

I went into the Terminal server and did a diskutil list and couldnt see it there either.

I have ubuntu installed on the Dell Mini 10v currently, do you think I need to reformat the HD to FAT32 if so do you know how to do it with Ubuntu? I do not have GPARTED installed and I am having trouble getting it installed.

Or do you think it has to do with Bios setting (A03 is the bios i am running)?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Tick
Old 08-06-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tick0423 View Post
VirusDoc,
We chatted in the beginning of the year and you helped me through my first Hackintosh on a Dell Mini 10v, I am now on my 3rd Hackintosh and I am running into a problem I cant seem to solve.

When i goto the disk utility to reformat the HD during the MAC OS install I do not see the local HD of the computer, its not grayed out it is just not showing up.

I went into the Terminal server and did a diskutil list and couldnt see it there either.

I have ubuntu installed on the Dell Mini 10v currently, do you think I need to reformat the HD to FAT32 if so do you know how to do it with Ubuntu? I do not have GPARTED installed and I am having trouble getting it installed.

Or do you think it has to do with Bios setting (A03 is the bios i am running)?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Tick
Not sure how to advise you here. The only thing that should control access to the local HDDs during the MacOS install is the BIOS. I don't have my 10v handy so I can't check the available settings there to see if there is one that might make it invisibile to MacOS.

As for reformatting to FAT32, that might help. You can use a bootable GPARTED live USB stick:

GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

Good luck and let me know what works.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:27 PM

Great how to write up, everything worked from the first shot.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:00 AM

Everything going fine but at this point

Quote:
3. Once you get to the first SL install screen, go to the “Utilities” menu at the top of the screen and select “NetBookInstaller”
I am not able to find NetBookInstaller in that menu .... yes I have followed Phase 3 properly but no luck...tried twice but same result ...plzzzz help me I am almost done.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx View Post
Everything going fine but at this point

I am not able to find NetBookInstaller in that menu .... yes I have followed Phase 3 properly but no luck...tried twice but same result ...plzzzz help me I am almost done.
Did you prepare your SL install USB stick on a Mac or on a PC? Please tell me what size the image is on that USB stick.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdoc View Post
Did you prepare your SL install USB stick on a Mac or on a PC? Please tell me what size the image is on that USB stick.
Everything is created in PC I dont have access to mac. I am using mechdrew method "USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System"

I am also confuse at this point

Quote:
12. Open the Applications folder and run NetbookInstaller, a companion utility to NetBookMaker. Select your volume from the drop down menu and select ONLY these options:
Which volume he's talking about?
1) USB With Bootloader (small one)
2) USB with OSX intall DVD
3) The harddrive itself where I have installed the Snow Leopard

there is no problem with the USB everything is fine as I have installed SL successfully ....but when he says reload the steup and go to utilities and select NetBookInstaller..... but there is nothing like NetBookInstaller

Please help thx...
Old 09-12-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osx View Post
Everything is created in PC I dont have access to mac. I am using mechdrew method "USB Mac Installation via Any Operating System"

I am also confuse at this point

Which volume he's talking about?
1) USB With Bootloader (small one)
2) USB with OSX intall DVD
3) The harddrive itself where I have installed the Snow Leopard

Please help thx...
If you're using Mechdrew's PC guide you'll need to use his installation instructions. As I state in "A few warnings" section (#3) of my guide, I am assuming you are using a Mac to make your SL install media. The NetBookMaker software (which is Mac only) is what installs the NetBookInstaller to the Utilities menu in the SL installation wizard. It won't be there if you made your SL USB stick on a PC, so you need to follow Mechdrew's guide.

In step 12 you ask about, I am referring to the 10v internal hard drive. But again, NetBookInstaller will ONLY be pre-installed there if you used a Mac and NetBookMaker to create your SL install USB. Otherwise, you need to follow Mechdrew's instructions.

Best of luck!
Comment

« Previous Tutorial | Next Tutorial »
Tutorial Tools