General Mac OS X Discussion General Apple and Mac OS X Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  (#1) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to meklort Send a message via MSN to meklort Send a message via Yahoo to meklort
Default Dell Mini 1012 and OS X - 01-18-2010, 05:53 PM

I recently obtained a Dell Mini 1012 to test out OS X on. It turns out that other than the cpu / gpu combo, the hardware is *exactly* the same as the 10v. In other words, wifi, ethernet, audio and the touchpad all work just like the 10v.

Unfortunately, the GPU is unsupported in OS X. It's a modified GMA 3100, not the supported X3100, so it won't work with hardware acceleration (at least not for a while).

I do have full resolution with no gfx driver, however there is no hardware acceleration.

I have patched the GMA 950 kext to load for the 3150 (they are similar), and the gui is able to partially load (with hardware acceleration), however it is unusable at the moment. The background does not load and it is extremely unresponsive (takes 10 to 20 minuets to just load the menu bar).

So, for now, *Don't* buy the 1012 if you want to run OS X. The 10v is a much better option in terms of support just because the graphics card works. In the future, the 3150 could be made to work, however it's currently a no go. I will be adding 1012 support to NBI, but again, it won't be nearly as good as with the 10v.

Dell Mini 9 | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 2 GB RAM | 32 GB Buffalo SSD | BIOS A05
Dell Mini 10v | Mac OS X 10.6.5 | 1 GB RAM | 160 GB HDD | BIOS A06
My Blog | NetbookInstaller code repository | NetbookInstaller Website | Want a Lockerz.com invite? message me.