Dell Mini 9 Discussion Discussion on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9.

(#41) Old

Default 03-09-2012, 07:52 AM

I've still got 2 Dell Mini 9's running! 1 with a black cover running win 7 Professional and another with a white cover running Mac OSx.

Both had thier hard drives die (but they areover 3 years old!) and i simply replaced them with Runcore Pro IV 16GB's and i couldn't live without them!

My gf has an ipad, but since you can't install office and the apps available are quite limited to be able to work efficiently, the dell mini allows that extra functionality when required. (without spending a hilarious amount of money!) and since everything is synced by icloud it works perfectly.

I still use my win 7 one quite regularly, it always comes with me if i'm travelling and will the full office suite 2010, skype and dropbox installed, it's perfect for buisness.

As i work in IT, it's also the perfect server room machine, easily light enough for 1 hand, and small enough to rest on anything, armed with a USB to serial cable it's perfect.

Also having a Network port with lights is important and awesome for such a cheap machine!

That armed with 3 USB's, the VGA port, the webcam, the 3G, the weight, the size and the fact it's silent, the fact it's much more functional than a tablet (full OS's) means there isn't really anything to replace it with, so long live the mini 9!

I just wish dell would revive it with a faster processor and the ability to thrown in 4GB of memory, and possibly up the resolution a bit, but form factor wise it's awsome.

plus it runs doom just fine..

Last edited by chaz_ahhh; 03-09-2012 at 08:03 AM.
  (#42) Old

Default 03-10-2012, 06:38 AM

Well, I took the risk since that little gizmo would help out a fair bit on battery drain with a gps. If it does turn out to be dead, I've got 45 days to file with paypal or discover to get my $20 back. I just really wish they would check their e-mail once in a while.

If all else fails, hopefully the gps will have a low-power stand-by mode when no program is calling for it.
  (#43) Old

Default 03-10-2012, 11:47 PM

I still have 3 mini 9's. 1 finally died but I parting it out! Running Leopard and Snow Leopard. They are so convenient!
  (#44) Old

Default 03-12-2012, 12:25 AM

Has anyone tried to solder onto a usb drive like the super talent pico-c? I'm afraid that it would just melt something before the solder could attach.
  (#45) Old

Default 03-16-2012, 03:16 PM

Still running my Mini 9. Replaced the battery, and switched from OSX to Kubuntu Linux as I own an actual Mac now. For the size and weight, with decent battery life, still no reason to replace/upgrade.
  (#46) Old

Default 03-17-2012, 04:43 PM

At this point, I have a Vostro a90 that I still use daily. I also have a Mini 9 that I purchased as a backup, which is just sitting in the box waiting for my Vostro a90 to die.

I'd love to have an updated netbook. However, I really want something the size of the mini 9. So, since that doesn't exist, I'm forced to keep using this first gen Atom machine.

Vostro a90 | 0.3mp | 16GB | 1GB RAM | Windows XP
Dell Mini 9 | 0.3mp | 8GB | 1GB RAM | Windows XP
  (#47) Old
Administrator

Default 03-17-2012, 07:26 PM

Sad to say, the market has decided that a 9" screen is "too small", so you will find 10.1" as the minimum. The netbook form and price is not dead yet, but Dell has exited that part of the market.

Steve
  (#48) Old

Default 03-24-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
Sad to say, the market has decided that a 9" screen is "too small", so you will find 10.1" as the minimum. The netbook form and price is not dead yet, but Dell has exited that part of the market.
Yep. I've been through several of the ten inch models, including some of Dell's. I know the size difference is not huge, but it's enough.

The people have spoken, and I'm in the minority on this one. It's a shame that the market isn't large enough to support multiple screen sizes.

Vostro a90 | 0.3mp | 16GB | 1GB RAM | Windows XP
Dell Mini 9 | 0.3mp | 8GB | 1GB RAM | Windows XP
  (#49) Old

Default 03-26-2012, 12:46 AM

I used to use my Mini 9 every time we travelled. It was super easy to travel with and was sufficient for the limited computing needs while on the road.

But, somone broke into out house last week and stole both the Mini amd my Dell XPS 17.

Now, I have to come up with a replacement for the Mini for insurance purposes.

-Bob
  (#50) Old

Default 03-27-2012, 09:38 PM

Heh, say it's the equivalent to the Asus transformer 2 with dock. If that wasn't an ARM based device, I would buy it in a heartbeat.