Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default Persistent Jaunty UNR install on USB - 05-05-2009, 08:06 PM

I've been wondering how to create a persistent Jaunty UNR install on a USB. This is difficult since the UNR image is a .img file, instead of a .iso file, and so you can't use usb-creator or UNetBootIn.

I finally decided to give this a try, and figured out a method to make it work. It's not too clean or user friendly, yet, but it works. I now have the UNR image installed on a USB key with persistent storage for config changes and an extra partition for data transfer.

Here is my ubuntuforums post with a description of how I did it.

I will probably continue to experiment to figure out whether I can come up with an easier method, but this works for now. This info might be helpful for folks who want to play with the 9.04 release but aren't yet ready to overwrite a working install on the mini 9.
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Persistent Jaunty UNR install on USB - 05-07-2009, 07:34 PM

I was recently playing around with Ubuntu and was finally able to accomplish what you have, but using only Windows. Here's what I did with my 2GB USB:
  1. I used Win32DiskImager to "burn" the .img file to my USB
  2. I downloaded Cd2usb and extracted the appropriately sized casper-rw file to the root of the USB drive (in my case, the 1024 MB file)
  3. I then edited syslinux\text.cfg (on the USB) to include a persistent option
    Old text.cfg:
    Code:
    default live
    label live
      menu label ^Try Ubuntu Netbook Remix without any change to your computer
      kernel /casper/vmlinuz
      append  file=/cdrom/preseed/netbook-remix.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
    label live-install
      menu label ^Install Ubuntu Netbook Remix
      kernel /casper/vmlinuz
      append  file=/cdrom/preseed/netbook-remix.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
    label check
      menu label ^Check disc for defects
      kernel /casper/vmlinuz
      append  boot=casper integrity-check initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
    label memtest
      menu label Test ^memory
      kernel /install/mt86plus
    label hd
      menu label ^Boot from first hard disk
      localboot 0x80
    New text.cfg:
    Code:
    default persistent
    label persistent
      menu label Launch ^persistent Ubuntu Netbook Remix
      kernel /casper/vmlinuz
      append  file=/cdrom/preseed/netbook-remix.seed boot=casper persistent initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
    label live
      menu label ^Try Ubuntu Netbook Remix without any change to your computer
      kernel /casper/vmlinuz
      append  file=/cdrom/preseed/netbook-remix.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
    label live-install
      menu label ^Install Ubuntu Netbook Remix
      kernel /casper/vmlinuz
      append  file=/cdrom/preseed/netbook-remix.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
    label check
      menu label ^Check disc for defects
      kernel /casper/vmlinuz
      append  boot=casper integrity-check initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
    label memtest
      menu label Test ^memory
      kernel /install/mt86plus
    label hd
      menu label ^Boot from first hard disk
      localboot 0x80

Works like a charm! Since the .img is only ~50 MB short of a gig, there's little wasted space on my USB, and I'm able to save changes made (& updates!). My only issue now is figuring out how much "free space" I have left within the casper-rw file.
  (#3) Old

Default No space left on flash drive for casper-rw file - 08-07-2009, 09:33 PM

After installing with Win32DiskManager onto a 4 gig flash drive I have only 19 meg left after the install. Where did the extra 3 gigs go? I even re-formated the drive and reinstalled it. Same results.
What an I doing wrong?
Please help.
I love how UNR works, but would like to keep the changes I make.
  (#4) Old

Default 08-08-2009, 05:16 AM

What version of Win32DiskManager are you using? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the newest version (which is the one I used) is here.

Also, if you have another USB drive, you can place the .img on that one, then boot from it and install Ubuntu UNR onto the 4GB drive. In that case, you'll have a full installation, and you won't have to worry about casper-rw files, and such.
  (#5) Old

Default 08-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Thanks cookiemunster for the quick reply.
I am using release 02-22, just the one before the latest.
Your suggestion is fascinating. You mean I can install UNR unto another flash drive from the Acer (I am not using a Dell Mini) with complete safety without effecting my installation on the computer? I never thought of this.
This is worth a try. I do have another 4 gig flash drive.
  (#6) Old

Default 08-08-2009, 02:28 PM

Yes! In fact, that's what I ended up doing. Instead of booting from a persistent, live USB, I installed it onto a Class 6 8GB microSD card (with a tiny USB adapter). Just make sure you're installing it onto the right drive! If you want to be absolutely sure that you won't accidentally install it onto your main HD/SSD, you can open up your comp & unhook the drive. (I hear the AAO is a PIA to do that, though )

I still don't know why, though, your USB has no free space on it.
  (#7) Old

Default 08-08-2009, 08:20 PM

I successfully installed UNR onto a 4 gig flash drive and no harm came to my SSD. It took a long time, about 3 hours. It is running, but very slow, slower than the live CD was.
I let it create a swap file, which in retrospect was a bad idea, although I am not hurting for space. Do you think this is slowing it down or more likely during the live cd run things got stored in memory, which of course is much faster than the flash drive.
Thanks for your help cookiemonster.
  (#8) Old

Default 08-09-2009, 05:16 AM

I am not aware of any way to buffer the entire OS into memory in Ubuntu, like you can do with Slax. I would love to be shown the light here!

Your slowness issue is probably due to the write speed of the particular USB drive you're using. That's the main reason I went with a class 6 microSD card, as it's the best bang-for-the-buck as far as speed is concerned.

A great way to test the read/write speed is to use ATTO Disk Benchmark.
  (#9) Old

Default Full install on Flash is not a good idea. - 08-13-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
Yes! In fact, that's what I ended up doing. Instead of booting from a persistent, live USB, I installed it onto a Class 6 8GB microSD card (with a tiny USB adapter). Just make sure you're installing it onto the right drive! If you want to be absolutely sure that you won't accidentally install it onto your main HD/SSD, you can open up your comp & unhook the drive. (I hear the AAO is a PIA to do that, though )

I still don't know why, though, your USB has no free space on it.
If you installed onto flash as if it was a hard disk then that's usually a bad idea because of the constant disk activity on normal systems wears out flash.
That's why we have Pendrivelinux.com providing customised flash versions which allow persistence (where you can update but it reduces the number of writes).
  (#10) Old

Default 08-14-2009, 11:55 AM

cookiemonster

**Noob Alert**

I'm trying to follow your method but can't get it to work. I had already burned the .img file to my usb stick using Win32DiskManager (latest version) and was able to boot from usb fine.

I think I'm falling down at step 2.

When you said "extracted the appropriately sized casper-rw file to the root of the USB drive" did you just mean unzip it and dump it on the usb?

I did step 3. and got the persistant option when I booted so figure that was ok. Only trouble is it doesn't remember any changes I made. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.