Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#21) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 06:39 PM

Flash support is horrible & almost unusable. I just got rid of XP SP3 & did a fresh install of 9.04 (Netbook Remix) on my mini 9 & I swear to God, Flash performance took a MAJOR hit with Ubuntu. I'd say its cut in half. I cant watch Hulu at all & Youtube barely plays in normal mode (forget about HQ mode, aint happening). In XP I could do all these things & the hardware handled it without an issue. So there's def something screwy going on with Ubuntu, Firefox or Adobe (or a bit of all 3).

I hate to do it, but if I cant get it resolved & get performance up I'm gonna have to go back to XP. I hated it, but at least it was functional. So this is pretty much a deal breaker for me cause I use Flash a whole lot.
  (#22) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 06:55 PM

I am newbie to linux, but if you have dell mini ubuntu 8.04 (LPIA), i think you will have to install the newest version from scratch...
  (#23) Old
Guru

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peestandingup
Flash support is horrible & almost unusable. I just got rid of XP SP3 & did a fresh install of 9.04 (Netbook Remix) on my mini 9 & I swear to God, Flash performance took a MAJOR hit with Ubuntu. I'd say its cut in half. I cant watch Hulu at all & Youtube barely plays in normal mode (forget about HQ mode, aint happening). In XP I could do all these things & the hardware handled it without an issue. So there's def something screwy going on with Ubuntu, Firefox or Adobe (or a bit of all 3).
Adobe.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#24) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 07:14 PM

I am running 8.04.1 on the Dell Mini currently. So I would have to start from scratch to go from 8.04 to 9.04 (no upgrade path)? Do most using Ubuntu then have their data and apps in a different partition for re-installing from scratch?

Quella
  (#25) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quella
I'm a recent owner of a Dell Mini 910 (2gig mem/8HD). I would like to install the latest version of the OS on the system, but I have what may be a silly question. I'm a current user of Fedora and other linux distros, but new to Ubuntu. IS there a way (like in Fedora) to UPGRADE an existing system to the latest version without wiping out the previous data and configuration I have on my system? If not, I will need to back everything up and then do a reinstall, or does dell make it easy to install the OS over the existing install while leaving the data in tact? I have does not lookiing, but have not found an answer to my question. Again, I'm new to this brand of OS (not linux) and I'm liking it so far. I would just like to be at the newest without having to rebuild the system again from scratch.

I have tested the USB install of the remix via the menu option to not modify my system and it worked great. I'm just scared to move forward with the install menu option if I have to do a rebuild from scratch.

Quella
Yes; just like most other Linux distros, Ubuntu's update manager will give you the option to update to a new release when available (through a GUI) or you can do it from the command line with 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'.

However, the Ubuntu 8.04 that comes pre-installed on the Dell has many differences from "standard" Ubuntu. If you want 8.10 or 9.04, your only options at this point are 1) a fresh install of "regular" Ubuntu 8.10 or 9.04 (if you back up your /home folder, you can restore your documents and settings afterwards), or 2) wait patiently for Dell's next release (which may never come).

Hope that clears it up.
  (#26) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex
Quote:
Originally Posted by peestandingup
Adobe.
Interesting-i don┬┤t watch too many movies on line (in Europe you can┬┤t watch hulu), but indeed youtube flash performance is not so impressive-only if i watch HD or HQ movies-then it works almost perfect. Isn┬┤t that strange? And i have bluetooth mouse-so i noticed that every time i move mice cursor, the movies stop for a sec (glitches...)
  (#27) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 07:28 PM

Thanks all for your help on the upgrade question. I currently have a job that I need to use the machine for next week, but I could then make a clean install without any issues after backing up my data. With an 8gig drive, should I install the new 9.04 REMIX or the full desktop product in the Mini? Any suggestions. I currently have the remix loaded on my USB which I have tried it in live mode. Seems to work great.

Why do you not think Dell will release a new version? Are they going all XP and getting rid of their linux builds in your opinion?

Quella
  (#28) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quella
Thanks all for your help on the upgrade question. I currently have a job that I need to use the machine for next week, but I could then make a clean install without any issues after backing up my data. With an 8gig drive, should I install the new 9.04 REMIX or the full desktop product in the Mini? Any suggestions. I currently have the remix loaded on my USB which I have tried it in live mode. Seems to work great.

Why do you not think Dell will release a new version? Are they going all XP and getting rid of their linux builds in your opinion?

Quella
Ubuntu and Ubuntu NBR have the same functionality and use the same repository of applications. It is just a question of which user interface you prefer. (I can't stand the NBR personally so I went with the standard install.)

The reason I suspect Dell will not release an update (and I could be wrong) is because 8.04 is Ubuntu's current "long term support" release and will be officially supported through April 2011. By that point, Dell will most likely have a new model to replace the Mini. Plus they are in the hardware, not the software, business, and I suspect they do not have the budget/resources/desire to develop a new Dellbuntu release every 6 months.
  (#29) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 07:38 PM

That is understandable. Thanks for the education... very helpful.
  (#30) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 07:41 PM

So now my short impressions with 9.04 desktop edition:
1) language setup didn┬┤t work out of the box-need to install it (no big deal, thanks, ryuko2002)
2) couldnt fix login after suspend/hibernation...annoying
3) synaptic didn┬┤t work (i fixed it, although) - thanks, reflex
4) boot up time is not so impressive as delbuntu (yesterday cam new dell┬┤s updates, and i think it is booting now under 20 sec-with 9.04 it is 40-50 sec)
5) firefox works a little bit faster in 9.04, but not much faster
6) wifi does not remember password in 9.04 after restart or hibernation/standby-didn┬┤t try to fix it
7) compiz works in 9.04 perfectly and fast enough...

So, after all, i returned to dellbuntu 8.04. It is little bit dissapoiting that i can not use 9.04 out of the box, but i am impressed with Linux allready (dell ubuntu 8.04) and i will stick to this version because it works really good for me (e.g. even Apple Bluetooth Keyboard works fine, external monitor works super-just plug in, logout-wait 10 sec and you have auto adjusted external monitor). Of course, it is in our human materialistic nature to have the newest products, but i think that i can live with some 2008 System just well (as i remember-i used Win 95 for 6-7 years, and was just happy to have something...but was never delighted with windows, as i am with linux-and just one more time i have to say-i used xandros and linpus and was also happy with those systems...)

So, i will come back to newest ubuntu versions, but in couple of months. Thank you all for help and advices!

(did anyone noticed how often i use "so"?)

I┬┤ll post this post also on ubuntuforums.org