Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-23-2009, 09:19 PM

I just watch installation of Beta (had it downloaded-and so for so good-goes beyond 49%)-i tried few USB sticks-every one goes till 49% with full 9.04 version. So, i hope to install at least beta and then upgrade it...

I┬┤ll post results.

Is it maybe some bug with 9.04?
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-23-2009, 09:30 PM

Ok, i installed Beta-made some updates (only 9MB). Where can i see actual version of my installed ubuntu?
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-23-2009, 09:51 PM

1. Problem-i set german as main language-but only titels are in german, openoffice, firefox, everything is on english. Is there some easy way to fix it?
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-23-2009, 09:55 PM

2. problem - how to make synaptic work-if i set search for e.g. VLC-nothing comes out-as it is not activated?
  (#15) Old
Guru

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-23-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickoxy
2. problem - how to make synaptic work-if i set search for e.g. VLC-nothing comes out-as it is not activated?
I've noticed the same problem. Running "sudo update-apt-xapian-index" in a terminal seems to force the search index to be rebuilt and fixes the problem. But you'll might need to run it again any time the repositories get updated, at least until the bug is fixed.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 03:27 AM

I have not had any problems. I did notice the Hulu no longer works and that youtube video is still a little choppy. I will repost if I have any problems.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 06:23 AM

I am currently having a simlar problem as vickoxy. My installer crashes about halfway. I have tried both the desktop and the UNR. Oddly the RC version that ran ok the other day now crashes as well.

I get an i/o error during install. However the live session seems to work ok with network, etc. Wondering if maybe my old USB key finally bit the dust. Unfortunately my mini is currently a brick until I can get something to work.

life is participation in evolution
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickoxy
1. Problem-i set german as main language-but only titels are in german, openoffice, firefox, everything is on english. Is there some easy way to fix it?
Go to administration->languages and make sure the german language is marked. A window should pop out and ask you if you want to install all packages.
I usually do an English installation then install the Japanese packages using that tool and everything changes to Japanese.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 04:17 PM

Finally got my system running. Seems my USB stick died between installing the RC a few days back and yesterday.

So far with 9.04 UNR my SDHC still does not work, but it did under 8.04 dellbuntu. Other than that... just getting things installed and configured again.

life is participation in evolution
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-24-2009, 06:31 PM

I'm a recent owner of a Dell Mini 910 (2gig mem/8HD). I would like to install the latest version of the OS on the system, but I have what may be a silly question. I'm a current user of Fedora and other linux distros, but new to Ubuntu. IS there a way (like in Fedora) to UPGRADE an existing system to the latest version without wiping out the previous data and configuration I have on my system? If not, I will need to back everything up and then do a reinstall, or does dell make it easy to install the OS over the existing install while leaving the data in tact? I have does not lookiing, but have not found an answer to my question. Again, I'm new to this brand of OS (not linux) and I'm liking it so far. I would just like to be at the newest without having to rebuild the system again from scratch.

I have tested the USB install of the remix via the menu option to not modify my system and it worked great. I'm just scared to move forward with the install menu option if I have to do a rebuild from scratch.

Quella