Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-21-2009, 06:26 PM

I posted this thread also on ubuntuforums.org:

Hi,
i run Dell┬┤s Ubuntu 8.04 on my Dell Mini 9, and i tried some other distros (live versions)-they worked ok. Did anyone install 9.04 and maybe could tell me how is working experience with it? I am very pleased with LPIA Ubuntu 8.04, but there are many advantages of installing full version of Ubuntu. So i need advice-should i do it or not?
So, these are my aditional questions:
1) how fast ist boot/start up
2) are there many problems with drivers?
3) does it freeze as Dell┬┤Ubuntu?
4) How is Compiz working?
5) should i set up ext4 filesystem/does it fast up the system or slow it down?
etc...

So, any advice and impressions are welcome.
Thanks
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-22-2009, 09:53 PM

I installed UNR 9.04 last night and it runs very well. I watched an episode of Fringe and listened to some mp3's. It's very efficient on the power side and with just a few additional packages installed, it will play all the above media without any problems. I do have 2Gb of ram and only a 16GB drive. It recognized my web cam, blue took mouse and 16GB sdhc drive without any additional tweaking. I think I'm staying with it. I am very impressed. I was watching the system monitor whil doing most of the above and it didn't get above 65% even while playing video at full screen.

I say wait one day, as its being released tomorrow, and then Go for it!! If you're running the dellbuntu, 8.04 then you won't be dissappointed.

Hers:Pink Mini 9|2GB|8GB SSD|16GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|XP Home
Mine:Black Mini 9|2GB|32GB Runcore|32GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|Kubuntu 10.10
Future Mods 64GB Runcore - BT Headphones
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-23-2009, 01:18 AM

Well, so far, not so good. But I am hoping that I can install the final release tomorrow and it might be tweaked.

Right now I am attempting to stream Bones on Hulu, but I get jumpy video and some artifacts on a system with nothing else running. Youtube video works ok at standard def but HD is a slideshow. I can't seem to figure out how to tweak panel auto-hide delay so that is a bit annoying too Tried gconf-editor but no luck. Finally the 16gb SDHC card that worked in the stock 8.04 dellbuntu is no longer present. I have run all updates but still no love.

Everything else works just fine out of the box. music, wireless, suspend, etc. I have 16gb SSD, 2gb ram, no BT or cam.

So, I'm going to re-install tomorrow with the final and see how things go. Otherwise I might go back to 8.10 which I have used for some time on my Latitude D630 with excellent results.

life is participation in evolution
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-23-2009, 04:28 AM

Thank you guys for your comments. Schwank, please, if it does not bother you, report me how it goes with final version.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-23-2009, 05:59 PM

Bought a 32gb super talent ssd & 2gb Crucial ram from Newegg...This morning I installed Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook remix the official release and it worked straight out of the box...EVERYTHING!!! Only tweak was turn up main volume control.

It boots in about 28seconds to full gui...runs everything (exception of Hulu) without any lag...Hulu.com works but video is a TINY bit jumpy but still watchable...Youtube works amazing even HQ Youtube vids!

I loaded it using a thumb drive...Very pleased...
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-23-2009, 07:59 PM

Hi,
i tried to install on dell mini 9.04 but it crahes every time on 49% installations process (reporting some error - cd/dvd is maybe not clean...). Anyone knows what it should be? I downloaded the newest version of 9.04. (and install it with USB Unebootin).
  (#7) Old
Guru

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-23-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickoxy
Hi,
i tried to install on dell mini 9.04 but it crahes every time on 49% installations process (reporting some error - cd/dvd is maybe not clean...). Anyone knows what it should be? I downloaded the newest version of 9.04. (and install it with USB Unebootin).
When you boot off the USB drive, do you get a prompt that says something like:

Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer
Install Ubuntu
Test the CD for errors
etc...

Try selecting "Test the CD for errors". That should be able to determine if the installer is corrupted.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-23-2009, 08:54 PM

Actually no:
help
oem=OEM
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-23-2009, 08:55 PM

If i install Beta version-can i automatically update to full version?
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Dell Mini 9 and Ubuntu 9.04-someone to share experience? - 04-23-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickoxy
If i install Beta version-can i automatically update to full version?
Beta will be a huge amount of updating but RC will only be about 1 weeks worth of updates. If you go to the Ubuntu site just grab the UNR version of the production release and you won't have to bother. If you're already installed with the beta or RC, updating will get you to production release. I am running the RC but will run the updater and be running the production release in a couple of minutes.

Hers:Pink Mini 9|2GB|8GB SSD|16GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|XP Home
Mine:Black Mini 9|2GB|32GB Runcore|32GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|Kubuntu 10.10
Future Mods 64GB Runcore - BT Headphones