Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 03-30-2009, 07:33 AM

Did anybody tried and compare Jaunty beta i386 with the alternate installation of Junty beta for lpia (available here: http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/jaunty/beta/)?
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 03-30-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickF
Did anybody tried and compare Jaunty beta i386 with the alternate installation of Junty beta for lpia (available here: http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/jaunty/beta/)?
Yes, I tried and failed. There is no Live CD of the lpia version to easily test it, and the alternate installer failed on my computer (I got an error message early in the process that it could not find the cd-rom, both as an actual cd-rom and running from an unetbootin usb stick). I hope someone else has better luck.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 04-02-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpine
Yes, I tried and failed. There is no Live CD of the lpia version to easily test it, and the alternate installer failed on my computer (I got an error message early in the process that it could not find the cd-rom, both as an actual cd-rom and running from an unetbootin usb stick). I hope someone else has better luck.
I figure out how to get past the "could not find cd-rom" issues, but it gets into a loop trying to load hardware drivers. Unfortunately, the alternate install CD just isn't set up to work smoothly from a USB drive.

I think the next thing that I will try is to install the MID version and then convert it over to UNR. I want to see if it's possible to get to a fully functioning system that way so that I can do some careful testing of battery life where the only differences are lpia vs. i386. I'll start a new thread if/when I can get it working.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 04-03-2009, 01:02 AM

Unfortunately for those of us interested in trying out the lpia version of Jaunty, neither the MID image nor the alternate install CD is working at this time, as far as I can tell. When the MID image boots, the pointer doesn't work, and I haven't been able to find a way to start the installer using just the keyboard. With the alternate install ISO, the lpia hd-media kernel doesn't want to work ... it gets into a recursive loop attempting to detect hardware.

Looks like those who want to try Jaunty will have to stick with the i386 architecture builds. Good thing they are working quite well from the live disk.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 04-03-2009, 02:14 AM

Well this lpia thing is driving me nuts since two days ago I bought my Mini9.
As for now I dropped XP and put Ubuntu 9.04 UNR on... didn't do the "stopwatch test" but as for I can remember I am about at 3 hrs or some little more using it with BT on (I disabled it right now using the BIOS since the DELL switch is not norking :evil: will see if it get better without BT).

Are you really saying that the DELL distro (which I DLoaded thanks to you guys here) is way better in terms of battery life? Af far as I read in various reviews it doesn't seem that the little orig battery if going far from 3.30 hrs...

Am I wrong?
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 04-03-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanlover
Are you really saying that the DELL distro (which I DLoaded thanks to you guys here) is way better in terms of battery life?
I don't think anyone has really done an apples-to-apples comparison. The phoronix.com test was testing MID vs UNR. They mentioned in their forums that they are continuing to test.

There are two aspects to the lpia distribution, as I understand it. I have seen hints that the lpia kernel was a bit more up-to-date in device driver code specific to the Mini, but have read these changes have now been merged back into the i386 kernel. The kernel may contain some lpia-only code that manages power better, though I have never seen any conirmation of such code, and I don't know if that is really true. The other difference is that packages are compiled with gcc switches that are better for the simpler in-order architecture of an Atom. I would guess that the improvements are minor for most program (a few percent, say, at most).

I switched to Jaunty UNR i386 from the original Dell distribution, and haven't seen a noticeable difference in battery life in my limited casual use. The faster boot and easier UI are nice. The 8.04 Dell distribution is also behind in a number of fixes that are already in the mainline 8.04 distribution. If Jaunty comes out with an lpia that tracks i386 closely, I will reinstall, but I won't sweat it.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 04-03-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert
I switched to Jaunty UNR i386 from the original Dell distribution, and haven't seen a noticeable difference in battery life in my limited casual use. The faster boot and easier UI are nice. The 8.04 Dell distribution is also behind in a number of fixes that are already in the mainline 8.04 distribution. If Jaunty comes out with an lpia that tracks i386 closely, I will reinstall, but I won't sweat it.
So you noticed not that great difference and... Dell's is SLOWER booting??? If so.. no way I am getting back to theirs: Netbooks to me HAS GOT to be fast in booting up... (and they have to be almost shock proof, that is I dropped the Mini12: HD instead of SSD....)
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM

I've been using the build from a couple of days ago and things seem to be working well so far. I haven't drained the battery yet in either release so it's hard to say for sure. All the outdated packages that were annoying me are the latest now so I'm going to stick with it unless I find a compelling reason not to.