Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 03-21-2009, 06:21 PM

I've seen a few references on this forum (and over at the ubuntumini google group) to lpia support in the upcoming Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) release. What I haven't been able to figure out is whether the lpia architecture will be more fully supported on Jaunty than it is on Hardy and Intrepid.

All three releases have lpia architecture archives on ports.ubuntu.com, which leads me to believe that the state of lpia support for Jaunty is the same as for the previous two releases. On the other hand, some folks seem to make the claim that lpia support will be part of the standard release, which would mean that packages for the architecture will eventually be hosted at archives.ubuntu.com, where the i386 and amd64 architecture packages can be found.

Does anyone know for sure whether Ubuntu will be elevating the support status of the lpia architecture to the same level as i386 and amd64? And if so, where did you find that information?
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 03-29-2009, 02:26 AM

I'm not sure what you mean.

According to this page, it looks official, same as previous 2 releases.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty

clip from page:

Architectures for Jaunty
amd64
i386
lpia
armel (unofficial)
hppa (unofficial)
ia64 (unofficial)
powerpc (unofficial)
sparc (unofficial)

You could ask the same question to the above link.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 03-29-2009, 12:26 PM

I have the i386 version of Jaunty running great on my Mini 9. What are the advantages, if any, of using lpia instead?
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 03-29-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylork
I'm not sure what you mean.

According to this page, it looks official, same as previous 2 releases.

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty
I don't think the information that you quoted from that page means what you think it means. Despite the fact that it doesn't say "unsupported" next to lpia for hardy, intrepid, or jaunty, the lpia architecture does not appear to be fully supported for anything but OEM or MID use in any of the three releases.

For one thing, consider installation media. The only install image for lpia at http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/releases/9.04/beta/ is the MID image, which is not really suitable for installation of anything other than the type of machine that it's intended for ... one with a 4" to 7" screen. Some of the installation dialogs from that image won't even fit on the screen of the mini9. For Hardy and Intrepid, there is no installable lpia image on the main download page at all. For Intrepid and Jaunty, you have to go to the http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/ to find an installable image, and even there, it's just an alternate install CD ... there is no live desktop for lpia. Not only that, but the lpia image for Intrepid doesn't even work correctly. A new linux user would not be able to install it without carrying out some operations that only an experienced user would have been able to figure out.

In addition, as I noted above, the software for these archives is hosted in the same location as all of the other "unsupported" architectures ... ports.ubuntu.com. For Hardy, you can also find lpia software in repositories intended for specific OEM installations, but none of those repositories are kept up-to-date with security fixes and updates to the same degree that archives.ubuntu.com or ports.ubuntu.com is.

So ... there's my rationale. I'll move my question over to launchpad to see if I can get a definitive answer there.
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 03-29-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpine
I have the i386 version of Jaunty running great on my Mini 9. What are the advantages, if any, of using lpia instead?
I have recently read two articles from different sources that suggest that you can get as much as a 20% improvement in battery utilization using the lpia packages vs. i386, which would lead directly to increased battery life. Since the battery is typically the first thing to wear out on a laptop, any increased battery life would be a good thing.

On the other hand, some users of this forum and the ubuntumini forum have suggested that there is in fact no appreciable improvement. They haven't described the details of their testing, though, so I don't know how reliable their information is.

When it comes down to it, I would prefer running an architecture that is fully supported by canonical to getting a small increase in battery life.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 03-29-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowill
I have recently read two articles from different sources that suggest that you can get as much as a 20% improvement in battery utilization using the lpia packages vs. i386, which would lead directly to increased battery life.
Links?

I haven't tried i386 8.04 on my mini, but with i386 9.04, battery life is identical to lpia 8.04. At least according to the battery monitor... anyone know of a good utility for accurately testing battery life?
  (#7) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 03-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
anyone know of a good utility for accurately testing battery life?
A stopwatch?

Seriously though, a stopwatch is a good idea. Install, charge (with the power off) and then play a movie on loop mode and start your stopwatch. When the battery finally dies stop the stopwatch. Then charge completely with the machine off, reboot into your other kernel and repeat the test.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 03-29-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Links?
This article has results from testing the 9.04 beta versions of UNR and MID on a Samsung NC10. Their testing shows 11% lower average power consumption (13% lower peak consumption). They say that they plan to do some more thorough/rigorous testing in the near future.

I searched and searched and couldn't find the article that specifically tested on the a Dell and showed around 20% improvement, which leads me to believe that I simply imagined it 8-P I would have preferred such a test, but apparently it's not there to be found.

11% improvement gives me even less reason to run lpia in Jaunty if it's not as well supported as i386.
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 03-29-2009, 09:09 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the link! I actually did try the MID version, and frankly, hated it.

I should point out I am dual booting 8.04 lpia and 9.04 i386. Perhaps there are power-saving features in Jaunty independent of the architecture, so my comparison is not as valid as if I tested 9.04 lpia vs 9.04 i386.

It's funny, I've been advocating on various forums that it's worth sticking with the Dell Ubuntu 8.04 for the quicker startup and longer battery life, but frankly the slow updates are starting to bug me... for example Firefox is stuck at 3.0.5 while the current version is 3.0.8.

(edit) You know I just thought of a flaw with the Phoronix article comparing MID vs NBR. Ubuntu MID is targeted at less powerful devices with 128mb of ram. So it is less demanding on your hardware. This could account for the difference in power usage; NBR is using more power, not because of the architecture, but because the interface simply takes more processor power to render. Ideally the test would be more valid if the interfaces were the same.

Perhaps this is why my 9.04 setup (which uses Openbox instead of Gnome) gets good battery life.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Jaunty and lpia ... supported or not? - 03-29-2009, 11:02 PM

I think you're right ... their testing probably isn't too meaningful. In fact, I just posted a comment to that effect on their forum. I guess that means that we're back to "no evidence of increased battery life with the lpia build" until someone comes up with a better test.