Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default How to upgrade mini9 pre-installed ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10? - 03-18-2009, 01:14 PM

I just received my dell mini9, very nice. The pre-installed system is ubuntu 8.04. I am in consideration to upgrade it to ubuntu 8.10. I try the normal ubuntu upgrade way by check "new release" from update manager. But i got no "new release" founded, i can understand it because it use package sources from dell. So i am wondering how to upgrade the system to 8.10. Is the re-install manually the only way to upgrade? or can i simply replace the sources in source.list with official ubuntu sources?

Thanks for suggestion!
  (#2) Old

Default Re: How to upgrade mini9 pre-installed ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10? - 03-18-2009, 01:40 PM

The Mini 9 uses a special Dell version of Ubuntu. It uses the lpia kernel (optimized for the intel atom processor) and therefore is not compatible with the regular i386 repositories. There is no 8.10 update available for this special Dell version at this time.

If you want, you can install the regular 8.10 Ubuntu from scratch, and it will work fine, with a couple of minor tweaks/fixes that are discussed in other threads (like audio).
  (#3) Old

Default Re: How to upgrade mini9 pre-installed ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10? - 03-18-2009, 05:55 PM

A repository for Intrepid 8.10 lpia is available at http://ports.ubuntu.com/dists/

However, I don't know anyone who has successfully used it to either install or upgrade, so wouldn't recommend it.
  (#4) Old

Default Re: How to upgrade mini9 pre-installed ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10? - 03-19-2009, 02:45 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for your suggestion. So for me now, I'd better keep 8.04. A further question: does Dell have any schedule when they will support 8.10 *officially* so that I can simply upgrade from existed system? Anyone knows?
  (#5) Old

Default Re: How to upgrade mini9 pre-installed ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10? - 03-19-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limlian
A further question: does Dell have any schedule when they will support 8.10 *officially* so that I can simply upgrade from existed system? Anyone knows?
Pure speculation: probably never.

Del''s Ubuntu line has been shrinking, with only the Mini available in the UK, and a much reduced line-up in USA. They are all being shipped with Hardy. Given Intrepid will no longer be the "latest" Ubuntu in just 5 weeks, I'd be surprised if Dell ever bothered to support it.

I suspect they will stick with LTS releases from now on.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: How to upgrade mini9 pre-installed ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10? - 03-19-2009, 12:04 PM

I agree with ugm6hr; Ubuntu 8.04 is a "long term support" release that will be fully supported through April 2011. There is no reason for Dell to develop a new version of Ubuntu for the mini line every 6 months.
  (#7) Old

Default Re: How to upgrade mini9 pre-installed ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10? - 03-19-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpine
I agree with ugm6hr; Ubuntu 8.04 is a "long term support" release that will be fully supported through April 2011. There is no reason for Dell to develop a new version of Ubuntu for the mini line every 6 months.
He speaks the truth, and in my opinion is one more reason to move to the standardized 8.10 or even 9.04. There are some new features coming down that look really interesting!

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#8) Old

Default Re: How to upgrade mini9 pre-installed ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10? - 03-20-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
If you want, you can install the regular 8.10 Ubuntu from scratch, and it will work fine, with a couple of minor tweaks/fixes that are discussed in other threads (like audio).
There are guides online for installing Ubuntu 8.10 (such as http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installi ... 7417.shtml), but do you know if there is a tutorial available for installing Ubuntu 8.10 when you already have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on your Mini?

Dell Mini 9 | 2GB Corsair RAM | 64GB RunCore SSD | Ubuntu 8.04 | 1.3MPxl Cam | BT
  (#9) Old

Default Re: How to upgrade mini9 pre-installed ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10? - 03-20-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabi
Quote:
There are guides online for installing Ubuntu 8.10 (such as http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installi ... 7417.shtml), but do you know if there is a tutorial available for installing Ubuntu 8.10 when you already have Ubuntu 8.04 installed on your Mini?
The guide in your link will delete the existing operating system and install Ubuntu 8.10 from scratch. It does not matter whether your existing OS is Ubuntu 8.04 or something different; it will be gone.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: How to upgrade mini9 pre-installed ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10? - 03-20-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
The guide in your link will delete the existing operating system and install Ubuntu 8.10 from scratch. It does not matter whether your existing OS is Ubuntu 8.04 or something different; it will be gone.
Thanks, Snowpine!

Dell Mini 9 | 2GB Corsair RAM | 64GB RunCore SSD | Ubuntu 8.04 | 1.3MPxl Cam | BT