Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#21) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-14-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerallK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbman
Question about the restore image that is on the CD... does it completely restore the drive to like it was when I bought it or does it just reinstall the operating system?
Either method of restoring from Dell is a fire-and-forget kind of affair. No questions except the obligatory "Are you certain? You can loose data..."
Yes, yes... but is the image on the restore CD an image that already had drivers installed... or will I have to reinstall any drivers? "Restore CDs" I've gotten from Dell in the past have sometimes just reinstalled the operating system and then I had to put in the Driver DVD and search for all the correct drivers. I am just trying to get a handle one what the restore process would be with the CD that came with Ubuntu.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?
  (#22) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-14-2008, 06:49 PM

Sorry - I misunderstood your question.

You might have to tweak a config file to get sound running again, but all the drivers for the mini are part of the OS restore disk.

No further fidgeting required.

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#23) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-14-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Sorry - I misunderstood your question.

You might have to tweak a config file to get sound running again, but all the drivers for the mini are part of the OS restore disk.

No further fidgeting required.

awesome thanks... I figure since I have no experience with Linux that I will eventually kill this thing and need to restore it. All part of the learning process though.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?
  (#24) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-14-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeinDallas
o.k. for a real-newbie question: how do I figure out what the path is to the source (it's on an SD card in the slot) and the destination (thumbdrive). I seem to be stuck.
1 - Plug in both the SD card with the image, and the thumb drive.
2 - open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)
3 - type the command df -h and look at the output

The column that begins with /dev is the hardware device (for example, when i plug in my thumbdrive, it shows up as /dev/sdc1), and the column that begins with /media is the absolute path of where it's installed on the filesystem.

My thumbdrive is named CORSAIR, so, the hardware is /dev/sdc1 and it is mounted on /media/CORSAIR. My SD card hardware /dev/mmcssd0p1 mounts to /media/disk.

So, for me, the commandline would read:

sudo dd if=/media/disk/name-of-restore-image.img of=/dev/sdc1

Before running this command, be sure to unmount the thumbdrive! (You can just right-click it's icon -> Unmount.) You want to write the image to the raw device, not it's mount point.

I hope this helps
Thanks! I ended up figuring out that I was trying to write the image to the mounted drive's file system instead of the unmounted drive, but your command df -h is a lot more straightforward that me mounting/umounting to try to figure out the device names! It doesn't quite work yet (see above), but I'm searching/digging.

Joe
  (#25) Old

Send a message via AIM to onefish2
Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-14-2008, 07:29 PM

One more time for the record guys. This img file that you downloaded from Dell or the disc that comes in the box or that you downloaded from a bittorrent site does a restore of the image from the factory. It does NOT do an interactive install. You boot it up, it wipes your drive, copies over the image to the drive and your Mini is as it was when you took it out of the box.

If you got Windows on your Mini 9 the disc that comes from Dell is an install disc. it should be a restore disc. Why they did that is beyond me.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with Netbook Remix, 8GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 4GB SD, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
Lifestreaming @ http://www.ExploitTheSystem.com | Blogging @ http://www.onefish2.com
  (#26) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-15-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeinDallas
It doesn't quite work yet (see above), but I'm searching/digging.
Have you formatted the thumb drive since the first time you wrote to it incorrectly?

If not, you might want to:
1 - install gparted with sudo apt-get install gparted
2 - go to System -> Admin -> Partition Editor
3 - MAKE SURE YOU SELECT THE THUMB DRIVE IN THE MENU AT THE UPPER RIGHT OF THE GUI!!!
4 - select the row in the lower part of the GUI, right click -> Format To -> FAT32
5 - click the green checkbox at the top of the GUI to commit the change.

If you've chosen the wrong drive, you will format it now - so double check!

Once it's formatted, try the dd command again and see what happens...

[edit] I had to reformat the thumbdrive after I put the image on it while it was still mounted. After formatting it, the image copied correctly for me and I can boot from that thumbdrive to a text-based installer.

I suppose (if you've got access to a Windows box) you could format it on that one, too. Just be sure to do a real format, not a Quick Format.

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#27) Old

Send a message via AIM to onefish2
Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-15-2008, 12:31 AM

This is not Windows. Its very rare to need drivers for Linux post install. They are either in the kernel or load on the fly as a module. The only exception is if you want to use an ATI or Nvidia graphics driver. Sometimes wireless cards need custom drivers. The reason for this is that the Linux kernel is always being updated and Linux distros are released more frequently than Windows.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with Netbook Remix, 8GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 4GB SD, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
Lifestreaming @ http://www.ExploitTheSystem.com | Blogging @ http://www.onefish2.com
  (#28) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-15-2008, 08:13 PM

O.K. I installed gparted, re-formatted and tried again with no luck. But .... then I decided to try my old Sandisk Cruzer and it worked first try! I guess it was something about my brand new 3 pack of Attache drives that I bought for just this purpose that doesn't want to work. Anyway - thanks for all the help.

Joe
  (#29) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-29-2008, 02:32 AM

Quote:
If you got Windows on your Mini 9 the disc that comes from Dell is an install disc. it should be a restore disc. Why they did that is beyond me.
For those of you with Windows, if you have the optical drive, there is another option, though Dell will never tell you about it. Call/chat in and ask for your SRCDs (P/N 59221) - they don't like sending them out, but they are available on any dell system, for no cost under the warranty. It is an image of how the system shipped, on CD/DVD (on an average system, it is 2-3 DVDs - I imagine for the mini, it would be one) - They use Norton Ghost to make the image, so if someone would like to make a converter so that it is instead some sort of USB applyable image, such as a WIM file, that would be an additional boost for the community.

Worthing.jason
  (#30) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 01-07-2009, 05:17 PM

hmmm suposedly dell keeps changing the location of the hardy restore img .... anybody know where to find it? its no longer listed on the drivers/downloads page..

is the torrent located here ... dell-mini-9-ubuntu-restore-iso-image-t287.html

the same as the thing posted on the dell support site ??