Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#11) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-07-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2
No need to do that any longer. Just do an apt-get-upgrade and a new package from Dell will get installed that will do the resize after a reboot.
Yeah, I noticed - however, I wanted to add a swap partition and a separate /home partition... My question was to sort out if the installer gave you options.

Turns out, it's a wipe-and-reinstall system. No options at all.

So, I used my trusty gparted CD to boot the little gizmo, resized the /dev/sda2 partition down, created my new partitions and am configuring hibernation right now. Thanks for the pointers!

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#12) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-08-2008, 05:23 AM

What are my options for installing from within windows. I know that 8.04.1 does this--how much has to be done to 04.1 to get it to work fine on the mini. I am so clueless when it comes to this it isn't even funny.
  (#13) Old

Send a message via AIM to onefish2
Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-08-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicThree
What are my options for installing from within windows. I know that 8.04.1 does this--how much has to be done to 04.1 to get it to work fine on the mini. I am so clueless when it comes to this it isn't even funny.
Are you asking how to install Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy from within XP? You can't. Backup your XP install. Then boot off an Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10 Live CD and click on install from the desktop. Its that simple. Everything works just fine. Follow the guide here: www.ubuntumini.com.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with Netbook Remix, 8GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 4GB SD, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
Lifestreaming @ http://www.ExploitTheSystem.com | Blogging @ http://www.onefish2.com
  (#14) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-08-2008, 03:18 PM

Am I missing something, or did Dell remove or move the Ubuntu 8.04 restore image? I could swear it was there just a few days ago, but I didn't have my mini yet so was waiting to download it. The only choices when I go to Dell's support site for the Mini under Operating Systems are "WindowsXP" or "BIOS". On another note: My mini came with 2 discs - Ubuntu 8.04+ LTS DVD and Dell Drivers and Utilities. Does this mean if I re-image with my DVD (the 1st one) will I then have to install a bunch of apps, or does the 1st DVD contain the 2nd DVD?

Thanks from a brand new mini owner.

Joe
  (#15) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-08-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeinDallas
Am I missing something, or did Dell remove or move the Ubuntu 8.04 restore image? I could swear it was there just a few days ago, but I didn't have my mini yet so was waiting to download it. The only choices when I go to Dell's support site for the Mini under Operating Systems are "WindowsXP" or "BIOS". On another note: My mini came with 2 discs - Ubuntu 8.04+ LTS DVD and Dell Drivers and Utilities. Does this mean if I re-image with my DVD (the 1st one) will I then have to install a bunch of apps, or does the 1st DVD contain the 2nd DVD?

Thanks from a brand new mini owner.

Joe
I posted the link to it in the other thread with the torent link.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-14-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2
sudo dd if=/path_to_restore_image/restore_image.img of=/path_to_your_USB_key bs=1024 (such as /dev/sdc/)
o.k. for a real-newbie question: how do I figure out what the path is to the source (it's on an SD card in the slot) and the destination (thumbdrive). I seem to be stuck.

Joe
  (#17) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-14-2008, 04:36 PM

Question about the restore image that is on the CD... does it completely restore the drive to like it was when I bought it or does it just reinstall the operating system? I am just curious about whether or not I am going to have to reinstall drivers if I decide to restore my system. Since this Linux is being a learning experience I might want to do a fresh install at some point just for the heck of it.

If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?
  (#18) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-14-2008, 05:19 PM

I went through these steps after getting confused about having to have the drive unmounted if you execute from the command line vs mounted from imagewriter. It took a while, wrote a bunch of files to my usb thumbdrive (PNY Attache 2G), but when I reboot, and choose to boot from usb, I get "no bootable partition in table". Is there some extra step I have to take to make it active or bootable?

Joe
  (#19) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-14-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeinDallas
o.k. for a real-newbie question: how do I figure out what the path is to the source (it's on an SD card in the slot) and the destination (thumbdrive). I seem to be stuck.
1 - Plug in both the SD card with the image, and the thumb drive.
2 - open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal)
3 - type the command df -h and look at the output

The column that begins with /dev is the hardware device (for example, when i plug in my thumbdrive, it shows up as /dev/sdc1), and the column that begins with /media is the absolute path of where it's installed on the filesystem.

My thumbdrive is named CORSAIR, so, the hardware is /dev/sdc1 and it is mounted on /media/CORSAIR. My SD card hardware /dev/mmcssd0p1 mounts to /media/disk.

So, for me, the commandline would read:

sudo dd if=/media/disk/name-of-restore-image.img of=/dev/sdc1

Before running this command, be sure to unmount the thumbdrive! (You can just right-click it's icon -> Unmount.) You want to write the image to the raw device, not it's mount point.

I hope this helps

Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
  (#20) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-14-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbman
Question about the restore image that is on the CD... does it completely restore the drive to like it was when I bought it or does it just reinstall the operating system?
Either method of restoring from Dell is a fire-and-forget kind of affair. No questions except the obligatory "Are you certain? You can loose data..."