Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Send a message via AIM to onefish2
Default How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 10-27-2008, 04:45 PM

I worked on this all weekend and finally came to some conclusions.

As far as I can tell the img that Dell posted on their site is NOT the same as the RESTORE DVD that comes in the box and that we shared on this site via torrent.

I have a copy of that restore DVD. It boots into a graphical environment that asks if you want to do a restore. The img that is posted on the support site boots to a text based screen.

I finally got the img that is posted on the Dell support site to run from a USB key. There are two ways to do this. Since its an image NOT an iso you can use the "dd" command. It would look like this:

sudo dd if=/path_to_restore_image/restore_image.img of=/path_to_your_USB_key bs=1024 (such as /dev/sdc/)

The other way is to download image-writer
http://ppa.launchpad.net/ogra/ubuntu/po ... a1_all.deb

image-writer is a graphical front end for dd. Look for it in Applications/Accessories

I booted off the USB key to a text based screen advising me that if I press enter the system would be over written with the restore image. The system was restored and it asked you to remove the USB key. Then the system was rebooted.

Be careful. If you press enter the SSD gets overwritten with the restore image.

I went through the initial set up and after another reboot it was up and running the Dell version of Ubuntu Hardy.

Problem solved.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with Netbook Remix, 8GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 4GB SD, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
Lifestreaming @ http://www.ExploitTheSystem.com | Blogging @ http://www.onefish2.com
  (#2) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 10-27-2008, 06:10 PM

Good work. Shame you can't install Dell's Ubuntu Mini onto a USB drive for dual booting. Oh, well. I managed to get Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS on a usb stick.

Dell Mini 9 Obsidian 2GB RAM Windows XP, Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS on 4 GB USB Stick.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 10-27-2008, 10:50 PM

Is the final result the same after installation ?
Restore DVD versus Dell support image
  (#4) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 10-27-2008, 11:19 PM

Yes. Same result. The only difference I see is that the restore DVD uses a graphics based installer and the restore image that Dell has on their support site uses a text based installer.

Obsidian Mini9 - Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex 8.10 with Netbook Remix, 8GB SSD, 2GB RAM, 4GB SD, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
Lifestreaming @ http://www.ExploitTheSystem.com | Blogging @ http://www.onefish2.com
  (#5) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-03-2008, 10:01 PM

Hi Guys,

do you still have that image for direct download instead of using the torrent client?

Dell Mini Inspiron 9 (910) Obsidian Black, A05 BIOS, 2GB RAM, 32GB Runcore SSD, Bluetooth 2.0, 1.3MP WebCam, OSX 10.6.1 Snow Leopard
  (#6) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-04-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydan31
Hi Guys,

do you still have that image for direct download instead of using the torrent client?
you can download it directly from dell. just go to support.dell.com, put in the mini 9, look for downloads/drivers, and you'll see ubuntu 8.04. the image-writer works perfectly. just mount the usb flash stick, run image-writer, then select the .img file for source and the mounted usb stick for destination. it can take a bit of time. once it's done, reboot, choose the option to change boot preference, use usb, then give it about 20 minutes before it asks you to remove the usb stick/reboot.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/ ... ile=280220
  (#7) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-06-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2
Yes. Same result. The only difference I see is that the restore DVD uses a graphics based installer and the restore image that Dell has on their support site uses a text based installer.
onefish2 - are these installers interactive, or do they just assume a blank-and-reinstall? Interested in tinkering with my partitioning scheme before putting Dell's Ubuntu back on my mini...

(I don't want to let some automated installer loose on my SSD, you know?)

Thanks for any feedback!

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#8) Old

Send a message via AIM to jbloodwo
Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-07-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerallK
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefish2
onefish2 - are these installers interactive, or do they just assume a blank-and-reinstall? Interested in tinkering with my partitioning scheme before putting Dell's Ubuntu back on my mini...

(I don't want to let some automated installer loose on my SSD, you know?)

Thanks for any feedback!
basically it will blank the drive.... no real option other than to start.

Dell vostro 1400
Dell Mini 9 8 gig ssd 1 gig ram .3mp cam
powerbook G4 ( needs to be refreshed still on 10.4)
  (#9) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-07-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloodwo
basically it will blank the drive.... no real option other than to start.
Well, I guess I'll just have to re-size things afterward with a gparted bootdisk.

Thanks!

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#10) Old

Default Re: How-to get the Dell restore img to boot from a USB key - 11-07-2008, 04:17 PM

No need to do that any longer. Just do an apt-get-upgrade and a new package from Dell will get installed that will do the resize after a reboot.