Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#21) Old

Send a message via AIM to jbloodwo
Default Re: Est. shipping date. - 10-09-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeFarm
I wrote to them this morning and what appears to have been some random nine year old Indian Child wrote back saying, "I am sorry sire but we can, not meet your request to expidite your order because of all dell orders are made on a first come first basis."
---snip---
this is sorta off topic... but i need to vent some.

if you think that the email sucks ... try being on a calibration conference call with several Indian call centers.... takes them forever to ask a question...

For people outside of the outsource industry, a calibration call is where a company like dell, gateway, ( insert any other co here) gets on a call with all of its support providers and go over 2-3 calls that had been "recorded for quality control and training purposes"

you will generally get an email 2-3 days before the conference call with a link to the mp3 files of the calls and the latest version of the qa sheet. then on the call the main QA dudes at whoever you are contracting with then goes over teh call and how it should have been scored.....
I dont know if i ever want to be on one of those calls again.

Dell vostro 1400
Dell Mini 9 8 gig ssd 1 gig ram .3mp cam
powerbook G4 ( needs to be refreshed still on 10.4)
  (#22) Old

Default Re: Est. shipping date. - 10-09-2008, 01:57 AM

Has anybody actually received a Ubuntu version of the mini yet? Anywhere? I am trying to find out if it comes with an Ubuntu Restore CD or not. Dell has been giving me shifty answers.
  (#23) Old

Default Re: Est. shipping date. - 10-09-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenton
Has anybody actually received a Ubuntu version of the mini yet? Anywhere? I am trying to find out if it comes with an Ubuntu Restore CD or not. Dell has been giving me shifty answers.
one other question are the Ubuntu units shipping from sparks NV.

Dell vostro 1400
  (#24) Old

Default Re: Est. shipping date. - 10-09-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloodwo
So for fun i called the automated status line....
first time from my house line it did not give me anything ... but i need to put a filter on that line i am hearing some bleed over from uverse.

I called a second time and was told my system was "in boxing" ... " based on this information, your system should ship on "10/24"... I love that.... I am hoping either it has actually shipped or will ship today. if the in boxing is actually true....
I think perhaps we were separated at birth brother. I called Dell’s robot in order to amuse myself as well and it seems that my mini is in “boxing” status too, but the online status still projects shipping on 10/24. I would be SO jazzed to see a mini in my inbox in time for next weekend!

As far as the email goes, yeah, I’m with you. I’ve actually evaluated some of those calls for a client that was considering “variable vapacity staffing” options for programmers. If I never have to go through that again it will be too soon.

While, as a native Texan, I claim no more than a passing interest in the English language, even I have limits. ?

Alpine White, 1Mb, 16Gb SSD, 1.3Mp webcam, Stock Mini Ubuntu. (Oh yeah, and bluetooth)
  (#25) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Est. shipping date. - 10-09-2008, 04:11 PM

If it helps you any, in 2 weeks when you're climbing the walls like I am right now... My Mini is supposed to ship TOMORROW, and the site STILL says "In Production".. Tomorrow is put up or shut up day...

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#26) Old

Default Re: Est. shipping date. - 10-09-2008, 05:02 PM

I just called the Dbot for the first time and it says my order is in production -- boxing stage. Still says my esd is 10/16 and if it takes those tards a week to seal that sh*t up and send it i'm gonna go crazy :\
  (#27) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Est. shipping date. - 10-09-2008, 05:16 PM

If it's in "boxing" stage it means they put it in a box wherever they built it (like Malaysia or China), and it needs to get on a plane for the US to be mated with it's box of accessories (AC adapter, manuals, etc.) before it ships to you. 3-4 days is the average time it takes.

This post talks about the whole Dell production and delivery lifecycle:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=156489

Getting an iPad
  (#28) Old

Default Re: Est. shipping date. - 10-09-2008, 05:18 PM

FYI, Dell has another update on the mini, and some info about shipping/boxing too:
http://yourblog.dell.com/2008/10/08/update-on-the-mini/
  (#29) Old

Default Re: Est. shipping date. - 10-10-2008, 02:56 AM

fun fun fun.....

My online status shows as shipped. so if it is coming out of sparks i should have it on Monday.

Dell vostro 1400
  (#30) Old

Default Re: Est. shipping date. - 10-10-2008, 03:50 AM

Ordered: 09/19/08
ESD: 10/10/08
I ordered the White XP version with 16gb, 1gb, BT, 1.3 WebCam...

It shipped today(10/09/08)...and what's strange is it shows the estimated delivery date as tomorrow (10/10/08)...I had just regular shipping as well...so I'm hoping that it comes tomorrow although a more realistic date is Monday....

Mine shows it's coming from Nashville......