Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Drive Space - 10-15-2008, 02:50 AM

Good news, everyone. Here is the solution http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=253.

I just found this, tried it and it worked!
  (#12) Old
Guru

Send a message via AIM to UnaClocker Send a message via Yahoo to UnaClocker
Default Re: Drive Space - 10-15-2008, 04:28 AM

Ding ding ding! Works like a champ, thanks for the link to that how to.

Tired of wondering if your Mini9 is doing ANYTHING? - Add a HDD Activity LED
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Drive Space - 10-15-2008, 11:34 AM

I spoke to a Thomas at Dell and he informed me that they imaged the SSDD drives with one base image template that was created on a 4GB SSD drive...so thats why the other space was un-formated as their duplication process does not expand the image to use up the entire drive. He told me to attach a USB CDROM drive and boot my Ubuntu DVD off of that and use the GPARTED on the LIVE DVD to resize the partition to use up the entire SSDD that my mini came with.

As production levels out he said their team would introduce images to support each drive size. I said they just need to have the automation built in to know to expand the frigg'n Ubuntu Image on larger drives and not multiple images as I deal with Symantec Ghost in an enterprise environment and have one master image that goes on all machine types.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Drive Space - 10-15-2008, 12:11 PM

wow thanks for finding that phreeq, works like a charm
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Drive Space - 10-15-2008, 01:01 PM

Can someone pin this post the walk through works great and there will be many more of us who will need it.
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Drive Space - 10-15-2008, 01:14 PM

i did the steps in the above link successfully, but now my df -h shows 22 of 27GB available!! I ordered the 16GB drive... so did i get a perk or did i do something wrong?

This is my first full linux OS experience (I've tweaked my TiVo and used to use Unix shell to update a website looooong ago). I'm a higher-intermediate Winders user with some DOS experience, so I am fairly comfortable getting into the meat of the system with good instructions, but i won't blanch at some help for 'dummies'! :lol:

Loving the Mini so far!

thanks for all the great info here!
Diana

Diana

Dell Mini 9, Ubuntu Remix, 16GB SSD, 1GB RAM, Obsidian
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Drive Space - 10-15-2008, 01:44 PM

I snagged this from the link and added the second step for those of us who were thrashing around and formatted the empty space.

I Nominate it for a Sticky.

*) Open up a terminal. It's under "accessories" in the Ubuntu menu.

*) If you did not format it and it is still like it was when Dell shipped it out, just skip to the next step. If you already formatted the unused space (like I did), type "sudo gparted" and your password, the gparted gui will start up. right click on the unused partition and select "delete" then click the "apply" button.

*) Type "sudo fdisk /dev/sda". You will be asked for your password. This opens up fdisk, which is a disk partition editor.

*) Hit "p" to print out your current partition scheme. Write down the start number for the partition /dev/sda2. This number is important. Mine was 48196. Yours might be, too.

*) Now you'll delete your main linux partition. Don't worry. It doesn't touch your data. Hit the "d" key and select partition 2.

*) Create a new partition using the "n" key. This will be a "primary" partition, and will be number 2. Enter the start sector you wrote down earlier. For the end sector, just hit enter, and it will default to the largest size it can manage.

*) Use the "a" command to toggle the bootable bit on your new partition.

*) Hit the "p" key again and make sure that your new partition exists and is considered to be a "Linux" partition, and that it has the asterisk that indicates that it is bootable.

*) If you're confident that you got all of that done correctly, use the "w" command to write your changes to the hard drive. Otherwise, use "q" to exit without making changes.

*) Since you just changed the partition table on your root drive, you'll need to reboot for the changes to be seen by the kernel. Do that now. If it boots, you did it right.

*) Find your way back to a terminal, and type "sudo resize2fs /dev/sda2". You will be asked for your password again. Since we didn't supply a size, it will resize the filesystem to match the partition size.

*) You're done. Type "df -h" to see how much space you have. You don't technically need to reboot, but I recommend doing so anyway so it can run a quick boot-time check of the filesystem and make sure everything is OK.

Alpine White, 1Mb, 16Gb SSD, 1.3Mp webcam, Stock Mini Ubuntu. (Oh yeah, and bluetooth)
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Drive Space - 10-15-2008, 02:02 PM

Thanks for that update, SnakeFarm. Since I hadn't formatted that partition, I didn't think of mentioning anything about how to handle it.
  (#19) Old
Retired Mini user

Default Re: Drive Space - 10-15-2008, 02:54 PM

I followed the instructions last night, and during the first reboot my laptop either shutdown or crashed as it was getting to the login screen. I turned it back on and and was able to continue the process without any other issues.

Quote:
i did the steps in the above link successfully, but now my df -h shows 22 of 27GB available!! I ordered the 16GB drive... so did i get a perk or did i do something wrong?
Probably. You may want to post your partition table here and see if there's a number off someplace.

Getting an iPad
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Drive Space - 10-15-2008, 03:15 PM

Disk /dev/sda: 15.4 GB, 15408046080 bytes
1 heads, 1 sectors/track, 30093840 cylinders, total 30093840 sectors
Units = cylinders of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x5c1a5c1a

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 64 48195 24066 de Dell Utility
/dev/sda2 * 48196 30093840 15022822+ 83 Linux

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 14G 2.8G 11G 21% /
varrun 442M 96K 442M 1% /var/run
varlock 442M 0 442M 0% /var/lock
udev 442M 52K 442M 1% /dev
devshm 442M 176K 442M 1% /dev/shm
gvfs-fuse-daemon 14G 2.8G 11G 21% /home/diana/.gvfs
/dev/mmcblk0p1 2.0G 1.3G 653M 67% /media/disk
/dev/sdb1 2.0G 1.8G 170M 92% /media/disk-1

It looks okay here, but on the disk analyzer it's now showing 31GB of space :shock:
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot-Disk Usage Analyzer.png (117.3 KB, 488 views)

Diana

Dell Mini 9, Ubuntu Remix, 16GB SSD, 1GB RAM, Obsidian