Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#21) Old
Guru

Default 09-28-2010, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the info.

Look into the "checkinstall" package (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall). When you have to compile software yourself and "make install" it, checkinstall makes the software into a normal software package, which makes it easy to remove later. You just run "sudo checkinstall" instead of "sudo make install".

It's not as good as a "real" package, since it won't know what dependencies exist, and it won't know to recompile the driver when the kernel is upgraded, but it's better than simply running "make install".

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
  (#22) Old

Default 09-30-2010, 08:46 PM

Hi there,

For all of you who are having trouble to contact Realtek's technical support (they may be getting loads of emails of people requesting the drivers) I've uploaded them for you to freely download:

2shared - download rtl8192ce_linux_2.6.0003.0628.2010.tar.gz

Hope you enjoy!
  (#23) Old

Default Worked on Toshiba l675-S7052 - 10-04-2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks, been trying to get this working for two days. Tried this fix from other forums did not work. Tried a clean install, ran updates, then installed the driver. Finally for the first time the wlan0 showed up. Very important that you use 'sudo su' before running the make for whater reason if use 'sudo make' it does not work, at least it did not work for me.
Thanks again for posting the driver its working for me on 10.4 with 2.6.35.

This is the process that worked for me after a clean install and intalling all updates:

1.sudo apt-get install build-essential
2.sudo su
3.make
4.make install
5.reboot
6. ifconfig wlan0 up
  (#24) Old

Default 10-04-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by userzero View Post
Thanks, been trying to get this working for two days. Tried this fix from other forums did not work. Tried a clean install, ran updates, then installed the driver. Finally for the first time the wlan0 showed up. Very important that you use 'sudo su' before running the make for whater reason if use 'sudo make' it does not work, at least it did not work for me.
Thanks again for posting the driver its working for me on 10.4 with 2.6.35.

This is the process that worked for me after a clean install and intalling all updates:

1.sudo apt-get install build-essential
2.sudo su
3.make
4.make install
5.reboot
6. ifconfig wlan0 up
That's exactly it .
  (#25) Old

Question Thank you! - 10-18-2010, 06:28 PM

I'm a total Ubuntu newbie, but I'm loving it and spreading the word to all I know. In fact, a friend of mine just purchased a Dell Mini 1018 and asked me to help her get Ubuntu up and running. I've installed a modified netbook remix image, and all is going well except, of course, for the wifi.

I'm so grateful for this thread -- it's got me heading in the right direction. However, I have a newbie problem that I'm hoping someone can help me out with (a Google search didn't give me anything helpful).

So far I've been able to:
- run "sudo apt-get install build-essential" successfully
- download the RealTek tar.gz file successfully
- run "sudo su" successfully

However, when I try to run the "make" command, I get this message: "No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop."

Can anyone hold my hand through this process? I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks!
  (#26) Old
Guru

Default 10-18-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyscott22 View Post
I'm a total Ubuntu newbie, but I'm loving it and spreading the word to all I know. In fact, a friend of mine just purchased a Dell Mini 1018 and asked me to help her get Ubuntu up and running. I've installed a modified netbook remix image, and all is going well except, of course, for the wifi.

I'm so grateful for this thread -- it's got me heading in the right direction. However, I have a newbie problem that I'm hoping someone can help me out with (a Google search didn't give me anything helpful).

So far I've been able to:
- run "sudo apt-get install build-essential" successfully
- download the RealTek tar.gz file successfully
- run "sudo su" successfully

However, when I try to run the "make" command, I get this message: "No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop."

Can anyone hold my hand through this process? I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks!
I don't like downloading software from random Internet sites, but that .tar.gz should contain the source files for the driver needed by the Realtek WiFi in the 1018 (a .tar.gz file is like a .zip archive).

To compile the source files into an actual driver and install it, you first need to extract the files from the archive. Then read the readme or install instructions therein. They should list the procedure. But it'll probably be something like: change to the extracted files dir, then run:
Code:
./configure
make
sudo make install
Personally, I'd use:
Code:
./configure && make && sudo checkinstall
...but the idea is the same.

(#27) Old

Default Still Struggling - 10-18-2010, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, Guru. Unfortunately, though, I'm still getting the same result. The files are extracted, but the readme file lists the same steps on this thread.

There's one thing, though. You said:
Quote:
But it'll probably be something like: change to the extracted files dir
I'm not certain that I'm properly changing to the extracted files dir. (I'm really a newbie.) Can you give me the code to do that properly? What I've done is this:

dir Downloads/rtl8192ce_linux_2.6.0003.0628.2010

and that gives me a list of everything inside the folder, including a "makefile" document. Still, when I then type "make," I'm getting the same "No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop."

Thanks again for all your help!
  (#28) Old

Cool Got it! - 10-18-2010, 09:17 PM

The problem was that I wasn't in the extracted file's directory -- thanks for helping me narrow it down, Reflex. Here's the process that worked for me, running a modified Ubuntu netbook remix:

1. sudo apt-get install build-essential
2. sudo su
3. cd Downloads/rtl8192ce_linux_2.6.0003.0628.2010
4. make
5. make install
6. reboot

Wifi worked right away, without the "ifconfig wlan0 up" command.
  (#29) Old
Guru

Default 10-18-2010, 10:42 PM

Some basic terminal and shell info:

A shell is the program that processes commands in a terminal window info. It's the smarts. The terminal is just the dumb part that puts text in and out. But frequently, people will just say "terminal" and assume a standard shell.

"pwd" will print the working directory. It's the current directory that you're in. It defaults to your home dir: "/home/katy" or whatever.

"ls" will list the files and directories in the current dir. "ls somedir" will list the files under somedir under the current. And "dir" is an alias for "ls", so it works the same. But "ls" doesn't change the current dir, you need "cd" to change directories.

"cd somedir" will change to somedir under the current. "cd" will change to your home dir. "cd .." will change to the parent of the current.

"cd ../.." will change to the parent of the parent. "cd /home/katy/somedir" will change to that exact dir. Since the path starts with a slash, it means it's an absolute path, not relative to the current dir.

Assuming that you're trying to get to a dir under your home dir, named "Downloads/rtl8192ce_linux_2.6.0003.0628.2010"...

Start a terminal, it'll default to your home dir. Type "cd Downloads/rtl" followed by the TAB key. TAB tells the system to attempt to autocomplete what you're typing. If there's only one choice you should get it. If it's doesn't autocomplete, hit TAB again to get a list of possibilities. Then continue typing (i.e. "Downloads/rtl8192") and autocomplete again. Hit enter when you're finished.

Now, you should be in the appropriate dir. Run "make" to create the driver, followed by "sudo make install" to install it (sudo runs "make install" as the admin). Or instead of the separate commands, simply run "make && sudo make install". The "&&" means only run the second command if the first succeeded.

The driver should now be installed. Reboot and see if it works.

You will need to make and install the driver again if you upgrade your kernel, since the driver needs to exactly match the kernel. The kernel is the core of the system, and sees occasional updates.

EDIT: I see you already got it working.

(#30) Old

Default 10-21-2010, 03:32 AM

This driver can be found on Realtek's website as "RTL8192CE-VA4":

Realtek