Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  (#11) Old
reflex reflex is offline
Guru
 
reflex's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,997
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default 09-22-2010, 01:09 AM

It's awkward, but a USB hub would give you more USB ports. And it would make the "gigantic WIFI USB" harder to break off (I always worry about that with large USB devices and laptops).

As for "Realtek 8176", I'm just going off the PCI ID. But some of their devices have a PCI ID that matches the chip name, see here: PCI Vendor and Device Lists.

As for your other laptop, which wouldn't boot when the WiFi card was changed, that's probably due to the manufacturer locking out all WiFi cards, except the specific ones on the BIOS whitelist. I believe HP is notorious for this (this is one reason I'd never buy an HP). But I don't think Dell usually does this. My older Dell laptop and my Dell Mini 9 had zero complaints when I've swapped the WiFi cards around, and I don't recall reading about this problem on other modern Dells.


Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
Reply With Quote
  (#12) Old
yerayenrique yerayenrique is offline
Member
 
Posts: 35
Join Date: Sep 2010
Default 09-22-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
It's awkward, but a USB hub would give you more USB ports. And it would make the "gigantic WIFI USB" harder to break off (I always worry about that with large USB devices and laptops).

As for "Realtek 8176", I'm just going off the PCI ID. But some of their devices have a PCI ID that matches the chip name, see here: PCI Vendor and Device Lists.

As for your other laptop, which wouldn't boot when the WiFi card was changed, that's probably due to the manufacturer locking out all WiFi cards, except the specific ones on the BIOS whitelist. I believe HP is notorious for this (this is one reason I'd never buy an HP). But I don't think Dell usually does this. My older Dell laptop and my Dell Mini 9 had zero complaints when I've swapped the WiFi cards around, and I don't recall reading about this problem on other modern Dells.
I have a USB hub and all of that, but they just make mobility less mobile.

So Dell doesn't "mind" a WIFI card swap? Maybe I will give it a try, but I really really wanna make this one work, so maybe I will wait until few weeks after Ubu10.10 to waste all chances.

Thanks .
Reply With Quote
  (#13) Old
yerayenrique yerayenrique is offline
Member
 
Posts: 35
Join Date: Sep 2010
Default 09-22-2010, 11:45 AM

UPDATE: I've opened my Mini1018 because I wanted to swap the WIFI card with another one I have at home that's "Out of The Box" with Ubuntu, but I found out that this netbook uses a smaller than standard WIFI card, damn .

However, I saw that the card model is: RTL8188CE.

Maybe this can be useful.
Reply With Quote
  (#14) Old
reflex reflex is offline
Guru
 
reflex's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,997
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default 09-22-2010, 12:13 PM

I expect the 1018 uses a half-height mini PCIe WiFi card. All modern laptops that use mini PCIe WiFi cards use half-height (I think this includes all 10" Dell Minis ever).

As for "RTL8188CE", that info should be useful. But most references on the web to "RTL8188" refer to a USB device (presumably related). I couldn't find any Linux drivers for the mini PCIe card.


Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
Reply With Quote
  (#15) Old
yerayenrique yerayenrique is offline
Member
 
Posts: 35
Join Date: Sep 2010
Default 09-22-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
I expect the 1018 uses a half-height mini PCIe WiFi card. All modern laptops that use mini PCIe WiFi cards use half-height (I think this includes all 10" Dell Minis ever).

As for "RTL8188CE", that info should be useful. But most references on the web to "RTL8188" refer to a USB device (presumably related). I couldn't find any Linux drivers for the mini PCIe card.
You're right, all I was able to find online, also only referred to USB devices.

I'll just have to wait for this to become available -hopefully-.
Reply With Quote
  (#16) Old
Isthmus Isthmus is offline
Member
 
Isthmus's Avatar
 
Posts: 92
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default 09-24-2010, 04:06 PM

Have you tried replacing the card for either the atheron card or the broadcom DW1510 or dw1520?

This thread has a number of recommendations as well as insructions on how to do the swap.:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...-question.html

I've done it myself and 10.04 recognizes both cards out of the box. In teh case of the atheros card, drivers were already installed. In the case of the broadcom cards, you are prompted to download the drivers.
Reply With Quote
  (#17) Old
yerayenrique yerayenrique is offline
Member
 
Posts: 35
Join Date: Sep 2010
Default 09-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isthmus View Post
Have you tried replacing the card for either the atheron card or the broadcom DW1510 or dw1520?

This thread has a number of recommendations as well as insructions on how to do the swap.:

http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...-question.html

I've done it myself and 10.04 recognizes both cards out of the box. In teh case of the atheros card, drivers were already installed. In the case of the broadcom cards, you are prompted to download the drivers.
Hi there,

I've been doing some research and I've found this in my local shops:

http://www.ciudadwireless.com/tp-lin...b--p-3437.html

http://www.ciudadwireless.com/ubiqui...80-p-2765.html

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.33934

Does any of these look trustable/compatible to you?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  (#18) Old
reflex reflex is offline
Guru
 
reflex's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,997
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default 09-24-2010, 05:34 PM

Judging by the pics:

The first is a half Mini PCIe card, so it should fit. I dunno about Linux drivers. I think Atheros devices are supposed to be decent in Linux, but I'm more familiar with Intel.

The second is a full-height Mini PCIe card, so it'd "work" but it won't fit.

The third is a old Mini PCI (no "e") card. It'll only work in obsolete laptops.


Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
Reply With Quote
  (#19) Old
yerayenrique yerayenrique is offline
Member
 
Posts: 35
Join Date: Sep 2010
Default 09-24-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex View Post
Judging by the pics:

The first is a half Mini PCIe card, so it should fit. I dunno about Linux drivers. I think Atheros devices are supposed to be decent in Linux, but I'm more familiar with Intel.

The second is a full-height Mini PCIe card, so it'd "work" but it won't fit.

The third is a old Mini PCI (no "e") card. It'll only work in obsolete laptops.
So I'd have to stick to "http://www.ciudadwireless.com/tp-link_tl-wn791n_150mbps_wireless_lite_mini_express_adapter-_atheros_chipset-_1t1r-_2-4ghz-_compatible_with_802-11n-g-b--p-3437.html".

Uff, Atheros.. My last laptop had Atheros WiFi and I never could make it work.

Do you know any online shop where I could buy an Intel WiFi card that ships worldwide?
Reply With Quote
  (#20) Old
yerayenrique yerayenrique is offline
Member
 
Posts: 35
Join Date: Sep 2010
Default 09-28-2010, 07:34 PM

Guys, I have to say this:

SOLVED!!!

1) Go to Realtek's WEB and contact the technical support department through email asking for the Linux drivers for RTL8188CE.

2) They will send you a tar.gz, which you must uncompress and read the readme file inside which will give you the compiling instructions.

NOTE: you must have previously done "sudo apt-get install build-essential", otherwise, you won't be able to compile.

The process is extremely simple and Realtek's technical service is awesome, they replied within a few hours.

Let me know if you have any doubts.

I can finally say: I GOT MY MINI1018 FULLY RUNNING WITH UBUNTU, BYEBYE WINDOW$.
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2008-2016 MyDellMini.com.