Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 01:20 PM

The new update had me scrambling for information - it acted like malware - deleting my bookmarks, changing my home page and installing a new toolbar. I thought linux was meant to be above this kind of thing.

Glad to know it wasn't malware but not impressed that I have to put all my bookmarks back together again. pah.

OH AND IT LOST ALL MY SAVED PASSWORDS TOO.

Update: Oh ok, I've done the fix (renamed the profile) and it has corrected itself. I have all my settings back ok! Phew!

--
dell mini uk black/1gb ram/8gb ssd/16gb hcsd/ubuntu
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 05:08 PM

same thing happend to me. but the renaming of the folder fixed it.
i dont know about everyone else but firefox doesnt seem to work as well with compiz now (after the update). some of my 3d effects seem "laggy" whenever firefox is open.

Note: its only when firefox is the "active" window. hmmmmm

edit: well i take that back...everything about firefox is EXTREMELY slow for me now. it sucks
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 09:16 PM

Want to post another warning.

For those with the Mini 9n (only 4GB SSD HD), the volume of sudden updates has filled their HD and caused a variety of different problems, depending on which updates end up partially configured.

If you have a 4GB version, TREAD CAREFULLY. Consider downloading the updates, and installing them manually.
  (#14) Old

Send a message via Yahoo to GerallK
Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugm6hr
For those with the Mini 9n (only 4GB SSD HD), the volume of sudden updates has filled their HD and caused a variety of different problems, depending on which updates end up partially configured.
There's a setting in Synaptic to delete the update files after things have been updated on the system:

System -> Administration -> Synaptic -> Settings -> Preferences -> Files

Temporary Files should be set to "Delete downloaded packages after installation"

Plus, if your disk is already filled up, there's a handy button there labeled "Delete Cached Package Files". Click this to re-claim your drive space the package manager is wasting with old updates...

Obsidian Mini 9 > 2gb ram, 16gb ssd, bluetooth, 1.3mp webcam, us-intl kbd
Internal Mods > usb hub, 16gb flash drive, 8gb flash drive, added webcam, changed kbd
Software Mods > Dellbuntu 8.04.1 | Gentoo 2008.0
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 11:56 PM

(#16) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-11-2009, 11:48 AM

Greetings from Japan,
First post here, and unfortunately not in the brightest of threads...
Jeeeez...3rd day with my Mini9, saw the 170+update message last night.
- THOUGHT I did the right thing by allowing them... :|

Had the same issues with loosing freshly saved bookmarks, and Yahoo being set as my homepage... :|
The update also cleared my default music download manager/settings. (emusic downloader) So, if anyone else is using Emusic, watch out.. :shock: I was able to reset the settings, but mannn...I thought this OS was supposed be cake! :?
I'm not the most computer literate, so these "updates" have left a bad taste...ops:

After reading the thread from the Ubuntu-forum, I'm scared to check how my HD's faired!

Thanks for the fixes & helpful advice.
Good winds,
K
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-11-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcashin
after restart my Firefox has the dam Yahoo toolbar installedm and I can't fihure out how to remove it! I can disable it, but not remove it.
There is a package installed that has yahoo in the name - if you search in Synaptic you can find it. I can't get in right now while the updates are installing. Remove that package and the toolbar will be gone. It was on my Mini when I got it middle of December, and was the first thing to come off.
Don't know why I didn't thnk to check there.. duh. Thanks.

Jamie
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-11-2009, 10:54 PM

I thought the 4gb sounded like a fishy prospect.

Using my non Dell repos I haven't broken anything though.

Netbooks -> Mini 9 - 2gb Gskill low latency - Ubuntu 8.04
Asus Eee 701 4g - 1gb - Ubuntu 8.04.1
Desktops -> Phenom Quad @ 2.8 - 16gb - 4x Raptor X in RAID 0 - 2x 4870X2
Brisbane 1.9 @ 2.7 - 4gb - 80gb
Many others, all Linux.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-12-2009, 12:27 AM

It is for all of the reasons above that I have decided to scrap the Dell Ubuntu install on my mini9. I am just finishing up installing vanilla 8.10 instead. Just think - i386 compatibility so I can install ANY application out there without having to force architecture! Initially I was looking forward to lpia, but it's just too restrictive.

And yes, that damnable Yahoo Toolbar and Yahoo menu were what actually put me over the edge! With already limited real estate on my screen I can't believe Dell thought it wise to push it down on us.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#20) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-12-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerallK

Plus, if your disk is already filled up, there's a handy button there labeled "Delete Cached Package Files". Click this to re-claim your drive space the package manager is wasting with old updates...
W W...thanks for that bit of information. I just reclaimed over 400meg...which was essential for my 4gig SSD.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot-System Monitor.png (41.2 KB, 75 views)

DELL XPS M140
DELL MINI 9

HAHAHAHAHA