Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 05:36 AM

So the update manager tells me I have update3s to my standard Dell Ubuntu image.. I apply it.. and after restart my Firefox has the dam Yahoo toolbar installedm and I can't fihure out how to remove it! I can disable it, but not remove it. Hey, Yahoo!, I only have 16G.. do n't force your crap onto MY hardware.

Not only that, but the update cleared my entire web history... man I am annoyed. I'd use stronger language, but this is a family site!

Edit to add... there's more.. I user to be able to press the Windows key to go fullscreen, but now that doesn't work. Yeah, I know I could update my BIOS and use F11, but still...

Jamie
  (#2) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcashin
Edit to add... there's more.. I user to be able to press the Windows key to go fullscreen, but now that doesn't work. Yeah, I know I could update my BIOS and use F11, but still...

Jamie
Yeah, my bookmarks are toast too! How do I bring back the windows key functionality.
  (#3) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshnasi
Quote:

Jamie
Yeah, my bookmarks are toast too! How do I bring back the windows key functionality.

You have a few options... remap the Windows key in Firefox.. there's posts on that elsewhere on this site, or update your BIOS and use FN-Z which maps to F11. I plan to take option 2.

Jamie
  (#4) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 06:58 AM

Well, the BIOS update as documented here bios-upgrade-utility-split-from-bios-upgrade-failure-topic--t1063s20.html-st=0&sk=t&sd=a worked like a charm! FN-Z it is.

Jamie
  (#5) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 08:01 AM

I had my fare share of problems in the update, and particularly with Firefox. Apparently the new version of firefox looks for s user profile inside .mozilla that is called "web browser" instead of "firefox". Since the previous version uses the folder .mozilla/firefox, the new version starts like with a new user profile.

To remedy to this, rename the folder "firefox" inside ~/.mozilla as "web broswer" and you will restore your full settings.
  (#6) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 08:08 AM

(#7) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 11:09 AM

Or just create a symbolic link to fix the Firefox bookmarks / profile issue:

Either use Terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal):
Make sure you copy and paste exactly as here
Code:
rm ~/.mozilla/"web browser"
ln -s ~/.mozilla/firefox/ ~/.mozilla/"web browser"
Or use the File Manager (aka nautilus):
Quote:
Browse "Home Folder" (Places -> Home Folder)
Menu: View -> Show hidden Files
Double-click to Open ".mozilla"
Single left-click "web browser" (if it exists) and press Delete key on keyboard
Right-click "firefox" -> Make link
Right-click "Link to firefox" -> Rename; type "web browser" and press Return on keyboard
It should then pick up existing profile following the Firefox 3.0.5 update, and will use the same profile in future updates whether the "firefox" or "web browser" folders are searched for the profile.
  (#8) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
You have a few options... remap the Windows key in Firefox.. there's posts on that elsewhere on this site, or update your BIOS and use FN-Z which maps to F11. I plan to take option 2.

Jamie
To remap the win key to F11 is extremely easy:
open a terminal
Code:
 echo "keycode 115 = F11" > .Xmodmap
once you log in again you will be asked if you want to load the file.
This did the trick for me.
I however find disappointing that the update changes the basic behavior of the system....
  (#9) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 12:34 PM

Thanks to all for the information. When I saw 177 updates available, I came here first to see if there was anything I needed to know before I installed them. I just realized I don't like the customized update manager - it doesn't show you what will be updated before you start, and no info on changes in the packages. I ran "sudo apt-get upgrade" from a terminal so I could at least see a list of packages that would be updated.
  (#10) Old

Default Re: Warning about the most recent Dell Ubuntu update - 01-10-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
after restart my Firefox has the dam Yahoo toolbar installedm and I can't fihure out how to remove it! I can disable it, but not remove it.
There is a package installed that has yahoo in the name - if you search in Synaptic you can find it. I can't get in right now while the updates are installing. Remove that package and the toolbar will be gone. It was on my Mini when I got it middle of December, and was the first thing to come off.