Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#11) Old

Default 05-02-2010, 09:17 PM

I suggest waiting a couple weeks before installing the new version of Ubuntu. There is no hurry, 9.10 works just fine. In the next few weeks there will be a nice flurry of fixes and patches and by June everything should be nice and settled.

As a side note, I gave this advise regarding Windows 7 just after it was released and I got flamed for it.
  (#12) Old

Default 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I suggest waiting a couple weeks before installing the new version of Ubuntu. There is no hurry, 9.10 works just fine. In the next few weeks there will be a nice flurry of fixes and patches and by June everything should be nice and settled.

As a side note, I gave this advise regarding Windows 7 just after it was released and I got flamed for it.
Flame time . I think the same way & am surprised that I went ahead with a clean install of 10.4. With 9.10 working so well, why would anyone fix it?

I am well pleased with10.4 & after doing Reflex's fixes http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...nce-linux.html my boot time has dropped from 42 to 38 seconds to desktop. This is with the slow 4GB SSD too. I suspect I would be under 20 seconds with the STEC 8 or 16GB SSD. I wonder what a RunCore would do - instant on.

All credit goes to Reflex, as I asked & posted a lot to him.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#13) Old

Default 05-11-2010, 12:42 PM

I've been using 10.04 UNE on my Mini 9 since Beta 1 - doing upgrades all along the way thru to the final release. My mini 9 has all the options except the WWAN card and also I upgraded the HD to a 64GB RunCore SSD. Everything works great. Cold boot to desktop in about 7 seconds or less. After keying in my keychain password I have a usable wireless connection in about 4 seconds. (Using Broadcom Driver recommended by Ubuntu's Hardware Driver App) Webcam works fine too. Shutdown is approx 5 seconds. Battery life is over 2hrs surfing the web with firefox with full screen brightness and some flash plugin usage.

Now I'm playing with the new Unity interface. Not sure if I like it more than the standard UNE interface or not. Perhaps paired with Ubuntu Light it with be more worth while once available.

Eric
  (#14) Old

Default 05-11-2010, 07:07 PM

I managed to be off the release date and backed up my home directory and let er fly. I even did the upgrade from 9.1 over wireless. It took about 2 hrs but I rebooted and have been cruising ever since. Not a single problem. Everything works. Definitely worth the upgrade.

Hers:Pink Mini 9|2GB|8GB SSD|16GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|XP Home
Mine:Black Mini 9|2GB|32GB Runcore|32GB SD|1.3 Cam|v470 BT Mouse|Kubuntu 10.10
Future Mods 64GB Runcore - BT Headphones
  (#15) Old

Default 05-13-2010, 05:32 PM

I've installed UNR 10.04 three times on my Mini 9 since Monday, and I even put on KNR also.

No problems, though I really must say that UNR runs much, much better, performance-wise, on the Mini 9 (1GB, 4GB STEC) than Kubuntu Netbook Remix does. The KDE desktop is simply a bit laggier. The "out of parameters" error, however, is certainly a Gnome thing.

I've got a 32GB ST drive coming and plan on using UNR on it also, and I'll look into the sleep fix and SSD performance tweaks then.
  (#16) Old

Default 05-13-2010, 06:54 PM

Is there a fix for the mini9 webcam on 10.04? I haven't been able to use my webcam since 9.04 (it was broken in 9.10 and now it still appears broken in 10.04.)

Boot and shutdown times seem to have gotten a bit quicker in this release (I'm running on a 8GB stock STEC.)
  (#17) Old

Default 05-13-2010, 07:28 PM

The problem of slow boots without the workaround was officially fixed 2 months ago, and also it is fixed in 10.4, so Lurv doesn't have to worry about that.

My boot time went from 25 seconds to 13. Flash seems faster. Seems like a fine release to me.
  (#18) Old

Default 05-14-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs View Post
The problem of slow boots without the workaround was officially fixed 2 months ago, and also it is fixed in 10.4, so Lurv doesn't have to worry about that.

My boot time went from 25 seconds to 13. Flash seems faster. Seems like a fine release to me.
That might as well be instant on. I guessed under 20 seconds but 13 seems impossible. Are you sure you weren't fooling around with your girlfriend when you were timing it . I wish mine was that fast, but I'm not ready to replace a SSD that still works well.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#19) Old

Default 05-19-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
That might as well be instant on. I guessed under 20 seconds but 13 seems impossible. Are you sure you weren't fooling around with your girlfriend when you were timing it . I wish mine was that fast, but I'm not ready to replace a SSD that still works well.
Har har har, pike off! I start timing after the Dell splash vanishes.
I'm using a supertalent 32gig ssd (FEM32GFDL/sabertooth AA) and it is by no means a direct competitor to a runcore (or so they say... I think my mini9 has great performance with the 32gfdl). It was also much cheaper. The netbook turns off in about 2 seconds or so. I also have not tweaked my ssd performance yet, since I haven't really felt the need to. I might, but I'm on vacation now and don't want to brick my hardware when I have no access to a means to fix it.

Best

wcs
  (#20) Old
Guru

Default 05-19-2010, 08:24 PM

If you want to see a pretty graph of the boot process, install the "bootchart" package. In a terminal: "sudo apt-get install bootchart"

It doesn't measure BIOS and bootloader contributions to the boot time, but it gives you insight into the Linux part of the boot process.

Here's the header of the bootchart generating during a recent boot of my Mini 9. You can see that a faster SSD won't speed bootup much, since the CPU is maxed out more than the SSD.
Attached Thumbnails
bootchart_header_crushed3.png  

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit