Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#1) Old

Default 10.04 LTS on Mini 9 - 04-29-2010, 10:48 PM

10.04 was released today. Has anyone installed on their Mini 9? I can just upgrade vs clean install but it works so well with 9.10 I can't decide.

| Dell Mini 10v | Linux Lite |
  (#2) Old

Default 04-30-2010, 03:28 AM

I've been looking forward to 10.04, but I'm going to be holding off updating my mini 9 to the new release. I've been keeping an eye on a serious bug in Ubuntu that affects certain SSDs (including some of the STEC and Super Talent models for the mini 9) discussed in http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/ubuntu-netbook-remix/16224-very-slow-boot.html

From the last comment on the activity work-log, the bug has not been corrected in 10.04.
  (#3) Old

Default 04-30-2010, 05:19 AM

I just installed, had to install broadcom STA to get wifi working.

I've gotten the sound to work,

Quote:
I added:
options snd-hda-intel model=ref

To:
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

I went into system>sound>Sound Effects>Sound Theme Drop Down=Ubuntu

I've just gotten the bluetooth working as well,

Download, https://launchpad.net/%7Eopensource-..._12.1_i386.deb

Now in terminal navigate to the folder with the file and type:

Quote:
sudo dpkg -i aircraft-manager_12.1_i386.deb
This will put an application in System>Preferences called Airplane Mode

All I had to do was install the "Aircraft Manager" and put an "X" in the "Enable Bluetooth"-Field.

Vostro A90 | Crucial 2GB RAM | RunCore 32GB | OS X 10.6.2
  (#4) Old

Default 04-30-2010, 10:36 AM

I started with the RC a couple days ago, and it's been mostly good. Basic hardware support was there from the beginning (Sound thorugh speakers, internal mike, headphone jack. Bluetooth out of the box, Wifi with the STA driver).
I have not gotten sleep working properly, as the machine will not go down all the way, and will not wake, so I've had to do hard resets to bring it back.
Also, using the function key to get some special characters ( ~`[]{}\| ) does not work. Every other Funciton key works (except the wireless one, but I'm going to check out Airport Manager to see if that fixes that). Makes working in the terminal a pain.
Booting is quick, faster than it was under OS X.
External display support is very good. Turned on via the Fn-8 key, and everything went well form there, with the exception of some overscan on my external display, and the system no detecting when the screen was disconnected (don't know if this is normal in Linux).

EDIT:
Double checked dmesg, and I do not have the ata errors. I have the stock STEC 16GB.

Vostro A90 1.6GHz/2GB/32GB SuperTalent 10.6.6
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 2.8GHz/4GB/1TB+500GB, 10.6+Win7
Mini 1012 1.66GHz/1GB/160GB Win7 Pro
  (#5) Old

Default 04-30-2010, 11:34 AM

Thanks so much guys (maybe gals). I did recheck my boot times & they are still at 42 seconds to desktop & 61 seconds to wireless connection on my LAN. It isn't instant, but it is one of the big reasons I switched from Win XP. I have no blue tooth or web cam so these are not issues for me & airport mode & sleep I never use. Why do you need to use sleep anyhow with a 61 second boot time? Guess I better try it out & see.

13rokn13bottle; Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? Considering the size of my SSD will a upgrade leave any old unused files of 9.10? While upgrade is really easy to do, a clean install isn't much harder. When I did clean installs of Win XP I always planned on the whole morning to do it. Seems like it always took 3+ hours. No wonder we like Ubuntu.

My next project is to search through reflex's posts. He gave good advice on using RAM for downloads vs SSD & I don't have a clue on what termanal commands to use.

Added Note: I found Reflex's post for tweaking your SSD here , http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/dell...nce-linux.html.

(#6) Old

Default 05-01-2010, 02:40 PM

Got sleep working, same problem and fix as documented here. I used the sleep.d fix, as that is the proper way to do it.

Also got my keyboard working, I just needed to reset it to the US layout (hold down Fn-S while plugging in the AC adapter).

Vostro A90 1.6GHz/2GB/32GB SuperTalent 10.6.6
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro 2.8GHz/4GB/1TB+500GB, 10.6+Win7
Mini 1012 1.66GHz/1GB/160GB Win7 Pro
  (#7) Old

Default Wothy Upgrade - 05-01-2010, 07:57 PM

I installed 10.04 the day it came out. I have not had any real problems that I have not been able to work around. Here are the finer details:

1) Wireless wasn't working, so I downloaded and rebuilt the driver as outlined in these forums.
2) Sleep/Hibernate: I added the script referenced in the above thread and that appears to be working fine.

Other than that - the install went easy and quick. I don't feel that the system is any faster than 9.10, but I do think its put together a bit better and seems more polished.

Definitely worthy of an upgrade - no matter what you are running.

Alpine White Mini 9: 16GB RunCore SSD, 2GB RAM, Bluetooth, 1.3 Webcam
  (#8) Old

Default 05-02-2010, 03:06 AM

Did a clean install of 10.04 on my mini 9. I was still on 9.04 and didn't feel like going through two updates with the servers so slow. Plus I wanted to clean out a lot of programs. Other then installing the STA driver everything seems to work. I added swap space so I could hibernate too. I figure I'll save the battery at the expense of someday needing a new SSD.

I really think that 10.04 is faster and uses up the RAM less quickly. 9.04 would definitely bog down with only a few chrome tabs open. Like the new look, but the window buttons on different sides is annoying. It wouldn't be that bad but when maximized close is on the right and when not it is on the left. It is also lame that you have to edit a config file to put it back on the right. A perfect example of why I don't use Gnome on my desktop. Which I updated to Kubuntu 10.04 as well.

I haven't been on much lately as I've been obsessed with my new toy.(Droid Eris)
  (#9) Old

Default 05-02-2010, 03:00 PM

It was an easy install (10.4 netbook LTS) after I switched thumb drives & got a second download via Bit Torrent - just to insure I had a good copy. I also had to install the STA Broadcom drive & it connected right away.

The Bad news. I have the STEC 4 GB SSD being used outside parameters message again. We had the same problem with 9.10 until an update fixed it. Hopefully this will get fixed once again & soon. I get tired of looking at it.

Everything else seems to work fine & it looks good.

(#10) Old
Guru

Default 05-02-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
It was an easy install (10.4 netbook LTS) after I switched thumb drives & got a second download via Bit Torrent - just to insure I had a good copy. I also had to install the STA Broadcom drive & it connected right away.

The Bad news. I have the STEC 4 GB SSD being used outside parameters message again. We had the same problem with 9.10 until an update fixed it. Hopefully this will get fixed once again & soon. I get tired of looking at it.

Everything else seems to work fine & it looks good.
Yep. The Gnome Disk Utility doesn't trust my 4GB STEC either. From looking at the drive with "smartctl" from "smartmontools", the drive claims to support SMART, but it doesn't seem to actually.

Mini 9 | Intel 5100 Wifi | Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook
Mini 1012 | SSD | Intel 6200 Wifi | Ubuntu 11.10 64bit