Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#11) Old

Default Re: i386 vs lpia arch for battery life? - 12-16-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rofflebuster
That's more progress than I made with that release. Did you use an external CD drive or a USB stick to install? I used a USB stick and it kept complaining about not finding a CD.
We do "nothing but net" installs of Linux and Windows all the time at work (IT shop) so I'm used to doing them. I grabbed the CD and copied it to our HTTP Server. Then I setup our PXE network server to add an option for the Hardy lpia kernel and ramdisk. You could also just make a USB stick that does the same thing though. It's my conclusion though that that image is seriously borked and not really fixable by us at least.

I did manage to get Intrepid lpia on my Mini 9 by installing the USB image from:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.10/ubuntu- ... d-lpia.img

Once I'd installed it to the hard drive (Preferences -> Install), I ran:
Code:
sudo apt-get update; apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
once that finished, I added a new user, logged in and had a standard Ubuntu desktop instead of the MID. Now I'm just going thru and removing some of the MID/Moblin packages.

Seems to be working pretty well for me. I just wish Canonical would get out a standard Live CD that we could use to create the USB install on another computer.... Oh well...

Jay
  (#12) Old

Default Re: i386 vs lpia arch for battery life? - 12-16-2008, 02:22 AM

Its a bit of a pain to get Ubuntu Desktop 8.10 LPIA working, but the performance is good and the battery life is ~5 hours.

I posted how I got it working on mine here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...12#post6376812

If you are an intermediate/expert linux user I would recommend it, if you are new to it, it may require too much linux kong-fu to get working.
  (#13) Old

Default Re: i386 vs lpia arch for battery life? - 12-16-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armon
If you are an intermediate/expert linux user I would recommend it, if you are new to it, it may require too much linux kong-fu to get working.
Isn't that, rummaging around half the fun? I bought my mini as a toy to play around, tinker with & learn. But I do have this question how feasible is running lpia, outside of power consumption. I can think of two packages I would love to run but I doubt they have a lpia package .

Follow my Mini9 journeys on twitter at twitter.com/riscky
Partition Map Scheme: GUID Partition Table
BIOS: A03
Mini Status: Non-functional; waiting on Dell Service
  (#14) Old

Default Re: i386 vs lpia arch for battery life? - 12-16-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riscky
Isn't that, rummaging around half the fun? I bought my mini as a toy to play around, tinker with & learn. But I do have this question how feasible is running lpia, outside of power consumption. I can think of two packages I would love to run but I doubt they have a lpia package .
I completely agree . I knew that the i386 version would "just work" but whats the fun in that?
In regards to the feasibility, I haven't had any problems, it seems like almost everything for ubuntu i386 is available.

Here is a dump of package info:
Code:
$ apt-cache stats
Total package names: 33174 (1327k)
  Normal packages: 25267
  Pure virtual packages: 343
  Single virtual packages: 2170
  Mixed virtual packages: 218
  Missing: 5176
Total distinct versions: 26866 (1397k)
Total distinct descriptions: 26866 (645k)
Total dependencies: 176735 (4949k)
Total ver/file relations: 28221 (452k)
Total Desc/File relations: 26866 (430k)
Total Provides mappings: 4465 (89.3k)
Total globbed strings: 121 (1571)
Total dependency version space: 863k
Total slack space: 84.6k
Total space accounted for: 8300k
If you are curious about a specific package, I could let you know if its available.
  (#15) Old

Default Re: i386 vs lpia arch for battery life? - 12-16-2008, 06:58 PM

Thanks, but after getting off the phone with dell support again today, and once again not getting anywhere, I'm really close to returning the mini... all of this over an ac adaptor that doesn't work.

The two packages I would be most interested in running would be Opera & possibly VirtualBox... along with a few of the media codecs (this is where I see the greatest possible issues with lipa).

Follow my Mini9 journeys on twitter at twitter.com/riscky
Partition Map Scheme: GUID Partition Table
BIOS: A03
Mini Status: Non-functional; waiting on Dell Service
  (#16) Old

Default Re: i386 vs lpia arch for battery life? - 12-16-2008, 07:15 PM

It looks like VirtualBox is available, but not Opera. WRT the codecs, you can always install gnome-mplayer which can play almost any known format.

Lastly, if a package isn't available for LPIA, you can install the i386 version. Just download the deb file, then do
Code:
sudo dpkg --force- -i <package.deb>
It will force the package to be installed regardless of architecture. Then, if the output indicates that it depends on some modules which are missing, you can manually apt-get install those modules. Hope that helps!
  (#17) Old

Default Re: i386 vs lpia arch for battery life? - 12-17-2008, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the link, armon. Making the flash drive from Intrepid solved some of my installation problems, and the instruction to install the kernel was the only other workaround I had to make. Lpia Intrepid is running great.
  (#18) Old

Default Re: i386 vs lpia arch for battery life? - 12-24-2008, 05:40 PM

I finally got around to doing this and it worked great. So far things /feel/ a bit snappier and I can stream video from NBA League Pass fine as long as it is the only flash page open.
  (#19) Old

Default Re: i386 vs lpia arch for battery life? - 12-25-2008, 02:56 AM

So what's the downside of going to the Canonical 8.10? What software does Dell provide in their version that I would be losing by switching?
  (#20) Old

Default Re: i386 vs lpia arch for battery life? - 12-25-2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury7
So what's the downside of going to the Canonical 8.10? What software does Dell provide in their version that I would be losing by switching?
It is far from supported, it is in the Ports category which is not supported by Canonical and if it breaks then it may not get fixed for a LONG time. For example the install version on the site doesn't even work properly. I would equate to running a pre-release distro, it works decently but not without issues. If you enjoy tinkering with things then I say go ahead, if you want it to work flawless stay with the Dell 8.04 or 8.04 Netbook remix and wait for 9.04 which I think will have LPIA as a supported platform.