Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#11) Old
Super Moderator

Default 10-31-2009, 05:26 PM

At the date of writing (31st October 2009) Dell are still offering the Mini 10V on their U.K web site, with the option of Ubuntu 8.4, 1 GB RAM and an 8GB Solid State Hard Drive for the basic price of £199, as they have been doing for quite some time now.

We have never had the 2 GB option here, although I think certain limited customisation might still be possible (such as increasing the size of the SSD to 16GB, for example).

I can understand some of the points being made earlier, but I do hope that this is just a temporary 'blip' and not an indication of the way things are heading!

Only time will tell!

Mini 10v - Product (RED) - BIOS A06 - Ubuntu 11.04 - 2GB RAM - 60 GB OCZ Vertex SSD - Bluetooth - Intel 6205 Wi-Fi - WWAN
  (#12) Old

Default 11-01-2009, 06:45 PM

You could call Dell and see what they say. But if you really want Ubuntu(you must be an advanced user according to Dell) then I would stick with it.
  (#13) Old

Default 11-02-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
I don't want my order to be delayed, only to eventually receive a "canceled" notice from Dell. Do you recommend that I just cancel my current order and start over with the stock 10v (Win XP, 1gb, etc)?
The answer to that would depend on how much of a hassle you think it is to take the whole computer apart just to pop in an upgraded RAM stick. If it feels like more than you want to hassle with, stick with the order. And congrats on finding a mini10v in the small biz store!
  (#14) Old

Default 11-02-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
It is no secret Microsoft, Intel and Dell do not really want $200 computers to be sold.
This is 100% the case.

Dell Mini 10v (OS X 10.5.8)
  (#15) Old

Default 11-02-2009, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodminis View Post
The answer to that would depend on how much of a hassle you think it is to take the whole computer apart just to pop in an upgraded RAM stick. If it feels like more than you want to hassle with, stick with the order. And congrats on finding a mini10v in the small biz store!
It's weird -- I found a link to the mini 10v in the small business store on these forums. Someone posted the link in a thread, but now I can't find it.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Okay I was able to browse to Dell Small & Medium Business, select the 10v, and customize it with 2GB RAM. There is no trick to it.

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Hopefully this means that Dell does in fact sell the 10v with this configuration.
  (#16) Old

Default 11-04-2009, 06:18 PM

I just checked the US home store the 10v and 10 are still available with 8.04 both under the regular mini page and the open source computer page.
  (#17) Old

Default 11-04-2009, 08:04 PM

Cool.

I got my "shipped" notification yesterday. I should have the 10v by tomorrow.
  (#18) Old

Default 11-05-2009, 03:26 AM

It was definately gone thew day, I started this post and confirmed by dell's tech support. The mini page has now completely changed since then. Glad to see it's back.
  (#19) Old

Default 11-13-2009, 06:11 AM

I was able to order a new built-to-order Mini 9 with Ubuntu 8.04 last month. I found the link via Yahoo shopping, but going in direct through the Dell sites, it was nowhere to be found. I think they must be making them with the last stock of parts since its technically been discontinued for months? Ubuntu was the only OS option when I ordered. No XP.

Base price was $199. I was able to configure the way I liked and saved the cart, then logged out and logged back in through Bing when Dell was offering an additional 15% cash back. The $15% pretty much covered tax, shipping, and the California Hazardous Materials Recovery Fee.

In the end it was about $20 less than the comparable models were going for in the Outlet at the time.
  (#20) Old

Default 11-17-2009, 11:14 AM

Just received shipment notification of a mini 9 Ubuntu. Found a link on this forum 2 weeks ago...clicked on it and placed the order. This is my second one...the first one was ordered and received in February 09 with 64G SSD. The one shipped yesterday only has 16G, which was the maximum available. Supposed to arrive by FedEx tomorrow from Nashville. If I can find the link, I will post it separately.

Tags
linux, ubuntu, windows 7