Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#11) Old

Default Re: BackTrack 3 on Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu 8.04 - 11-22-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaden
And for wireless http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php are native linux drivers for broadcom

Backtrack is a good tool, but the best idea is to use the ubuntu and just complie the tools you want. This way you know you hardware will work out of the box.
Thank you, Zaden.
I installed kismet, and associated libraries, with Symantec in Ubuntu.
May be it's because I'm a very beginner with Linux, but I didn't find any kismet voice in the men├╣ afterward.
Neither I was able to launch kismet with the terminal.
The simple task I would like to accomplish is to use a WiFi sniffer in order to connect by means of free hot-spots when I'm on trip.

Obsidian Black Dell Inspiron Mini 9 - 1GB RAM - 8GB SSD - Ubuntu 8.04
Website: http://sites.google.com/site/dggatetocyberspace/Home
  (#12) Old

Default Re: BackTrack 3 on Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu 8.04 - 03-19-2009, 08:26 PM

I am confused!! The Dell Mini is provided with Ubuntu Linux installed (or if you are supplied with Windows, you can download and install Ubuntu on the Dell Mini for absolutely nothing!), anyway (I digress), as this NetBook is one of the only ones that is fully compliant with Ubuntu I would have thought that BT3 would work perfectly!!??

My wonderful new Dell Mini9 is arriving tomorrow (pre-loaded with WinXP - yuk!) and I will change this almost immediately to BackTrack3 (or 4 if I get can download a copy before I get too excited!!) - anyway, has anyone tried to just download the programs that are provided with BT3 and install these and run them from the Base OS? Surely this would be an easier way to go?

Anyway - thats my tuppence worth on this! Has anyone managed to install the BT4 BETA yet? (I would assume, again, that this is based on Ubuntu 8.10 instead of 8.04 where everyone seems to be getting the problems).
  (#13) Old

Default Re: BackTrack 3 on Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu 8.04 - 03-26-2009, 09:23 PM

BackTrack is very simple to get booted on the Mini. when selecting the default options you will eventually be presented with an error which states that your video memory is not allocated correctly, or something similar. heres what i did as a step by step to get it working. i did the following from inside of windows XP. this makes it very easy.

=DOWNLOAD=
-go to the website listed.
-download the USB version of BT3.

=PREPARE USB DRIVE=
-use WinRAR to open the ISO that you downloaded and extract the 2 folders inside to the empty Fat32 drive that you want to use as your boot device.
-close that WinRAR ISO and open the boot folder on the USB drive.
-click bootinst.bat
-you will get a CMD that tells you it will change the MBR (master boot record) for drive (label.
-make sure this is the drive you want to boot from, not your windows partition.
-hit enter.
-go up one level.
-open the BT3 folder.
-click make_iso.bat
-you will receive a confirmation CMD.

=ENABLE AND BOOT=
-turn on your mini with USB drive plugged in.
-press 2 while it is booting BIOS to enter BIOS setup (this is necessary if you have done the internal USB drive hack)
-move right to get to the Boot Options menu.
-use F6 to move the USB drive to the top of the list.
-if you have done the internal USB drive hack, or have more than one installed at the moment, move over the USB option and press enter to expand.
-move over the label of the USB drive you want to use and press F6 to move it to the top of the list.
-Exit Saving Changes.
-computer will restart and go to the boot menu of BT3.
-select BT3 Graphics Mode (VESA KDE).
-you will see an error that says "you passed an undefined mode number"
-press enter.
-select option 1 (not option 0).
-BT3 will boot to the desktop.

you will see a screen just before the desktop loads that looks like a fatal error. dont worry about that; it is just finding sync i guess. everything looks normal after that.

i am pretty sure that you will have to do some more work to get all the peripherals working. when i booted i didnt have anything working beside the basics; video, KB, mouse, etc. youll have to do some more reaserch to find out how to get your bluetooth and other radios working.

good luck.

ps- i got most of my information from this site:

http://maddhat.com/?p=23

this is from when BT3 was in beta, but it still applies.
also, you may not need to run bootinst.bat or make_iso.bat, but just do it to be sure.
  (#14) Old

Default Re: BackTrack 3 on Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu 8.04 - 05-04-2009, 04:12 AM

can i get it to boot from a sd card? ive read that theyre faster then usb sticks. i dont see it in the boot menu

fwiw, im doing this on a 1501 preparing it for a mini9 i will get tomorrow
  (#15) Old

Default Re: BackTrack 3 on Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu 8.04 - 05-04-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyfyer
BackTrack is very simple to get booted on the Mini
worked great with the usb stick, not so great with a sdhc card
  (#16) Old

Default Re: BackTrack 3 on Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Ubuntu 8.04 - 05-05-2009, 07:03 PM

so how do i get the wifi working now :|
  (#17) Old

Default 08-06-2009, 12:39 AM

bump.

anyone get the wifi working?