Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#61) Old

Default 07-10-2009, 08:28 PM

1. Boot from the CD/Thumbdrive
2. When prompted what you would like to do, select the Check Disk For Errors

If the disk check comes up clean try the same memory stick in a different port on the other side of the computer.

If the disk check comes up "bad" then try a different memory stick.

And there's always borrowing a friends external CD/DVD drive and doing it the old school way. For what it's worth I never had an issue like this and I've installed 9.04 a dozen times via USB drive or external CDROM.

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#62) Old

Default 07-10-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopper View Post
1. Boot from the CD/Thumbdrive
2. When prompted what you would like to do, select the Check Disk For Errors

If the disk check comes up clean try the same memory stick in a different port on the other side of the computer.

If the disk check comes up "bad" then try a different memory stick.

And there's always borrowing a friends external CD/DVD drive and doing it the old school way. For what it's worth I never had an issue like this and I've installed 9.04 a dozen times via USB drive or external CDROM.
And how do you create USB Live Stick? Unfortunately, i have only MacBook (with windows vista too). The onl 9.04 that i succeeded to install was rc. Final versions-none. I just used 2 Sticks, different fat system-same error...
  (#63) Old

Default 07-10-2009, 09:11 PM

UNetBootin Will allow you to make a bootable stick from either a .img or .iso. That is what you said you did to do your install already, right?

Bringing you quality hand made fitted sleeves for the Mini 9 since January
http://shop.psyopper.com
  (#64) Old

Default 07-10-2009, 09:27 PM

Yes-i downloaded .iso and made with unebootin live usb. But installation does not work
  (#65) Old

Default 07-10-2009, 09:57 PM

OK, "Check finished: errors found in 1 files!"

So, now i am trying to make another USB Stick, but i tried before with two sticks and i always had the same error on 66%
  (#66) Old

Default 07-11-2009, 01:00 AM

I succeeded-needed to install the newest version of unebootin, and all went just fine. Still there are some issues--- ill open new threads.

Thanks for help
  (#67) Old

Default 07-14-2009, 10:49 PM

go to ubuntu.com, download netbook remix img file. move to thumbdrive, insert in mini and power on. when it powers on press 0 for boot options and boot from USB. USB Legacy must be enabled in BIOS. no need for unetbootin at all.

Dell Mini 9 RED | 1.6GHz | 10.5.7 OSx| 32GB SD Card + 32GB SSD | 2GB RAM | 802.11B/G/N | BT |
  (#68) Old

Default 07-16-2009, 12:18 PM

Finally i made one good installation of Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop edition (the problem was in Unetbootin-needed new version). I am testing it now, but i think that i am not going back to dell┬┤s Ubuntu 8.04. So, little report:

PROS:

- definitely faster in all applications. Specially noticable if you are upgrading to 2GB RAM.
- Adobe Reader and OpenOffice 3.0 (which i use a lot)-working much, much faster-no problems with PDF Books...
- Network Manager connects faster
- Stabil-almost everything working aout of the box

CONS (for Newbies as me, for other no big issue):

- need manually to install Flash, Java, Acroread, Skype, VLC, Cairo-Dock-but there is plenty of forums and users that are helping with any problems.
- specially annoying were to me these Ubuntu Keyrings/Password-but it needs just a simple tweaking in gconf-editor
- Synaptic doesn┬┤t work always so well-so needed to install programms from Terminal (if you added medibuntu in repos, you can install programms only from Terminal). I repair it with xapian-index line in terminal-after index rebuilded all programms were correctly listed.
-Bluetooth was definitely better under Hardy (specialy if you are using Apple Wireless Keyboard)

But, all these cons are problems for newbies as me. As i am eager to learn more about linux/and like it/ i didn┬┤t cease to work on it-and it is woth it.

Although i have MacBook, i use Dell mini as desktop computer-connected with external Display and Bluetooth Keyboard. With 2GB Ram, Office, Firefox and Acroread are doing extraordinary good job for me.

So. i will reccomend anyone to go to 9.04 on dell mini.