Ubuntu Discussion on Ubuntu on the Dell Inspiron Mini range of netbooks.

(#11) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 Wired and wireless not working - 02-12-2009, 04:36 AM

That must be a frustrating situation.

Its good you have an IP address for the wired connection.

Here are some thoughts I had:
Open a terminal and type
tail -f /var/log/syslog

this will show you activity for the network (and other stuff) so you can watch what its trying to do, live.

Under System--Administration--Network, unlock then check to see that Wired Connection and Wireless Connection are both set to Automatic mode enabled.

Under System--Preferences--Network proxy you should be configured for "Direct internet connection" unless you are actually running a proxy server or your ISP requires you to use one.

Oh, did you try this link for Ubuntu 8.04 Network Troubleshooting?
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C ... oting.html

Also its parent page
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/index.html
  (#12) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 Wired and wireless not working - 02-12-2009, 06:39 AM

I'm afraid I am out of ideas.

You have a modem-router which connects in an unusual fashion that i don't understand. Perhaps a link to the manual, or a How-to from Verizon might help. Why you need 2 connections and PPPoE details on the desktop, I'm not sure. The modem part of the modem-router should sort all that out for you.

This is also not a simple DNS issue, since you cannot ping the IP of OpenDNS either.

My only other suggestion is to get a decent modem-router
  (#13) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 Wired and wireless not working - 02-12-2009, 06:39 PM

How can it possibly not work when this is a Dell specific version of Ubuntu? Makes no sense..

Dell Mini 9 - 2GB RAM - 16GB SSD - 1.3MP Cam - OS X 10.5.6
Mac Mini C2D 1.83GHz - 4GB RAM - 200GB HD - OS X 10.5.6
PowerMac G4 1GHz - 1GB RAM - 3 x 1TB - OS X 10.4.11
Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP 20" 16:9
  (#14) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 Wired and wireless not working - 02-12-2009, 07:38 PM

I had similar problems with that Westel modem/router with two versions of Windows (XP & Vista) and two versions of Linux (Ubuntu & Xandros). Problem stopped when I stopped using the Westel as a router.

Keep us posted, Dan.

Jeff

Mini 9 | Black | 32GB RunCore SSD | 2GB RAM | .3MP cam
Windows 7 Home Premium
  (#15) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 Wired and wireless not working - 02-13-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury7
Here are some thoughts I had:
Open a terminal and type
tail -f /var/log/syslog

this will show you activity for the network (and other stuff) so you can watch what its trying to do, live.

Under System--Administration--Network, unlock then check to see that Wired Connection and Wireless Connection are both set to Automatic mode enabled.

Under System--Preferences--Network proxy you should be configured for "Direct internet connection" unless you are actually running a proxy server or your ISP requires you to use one.

Oh, did you try this link for Ubuntu 8.04 Network Troubleshooting?
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C ... oting.html

Also its parent page
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/index.html

I typed tail -f/var/log/syslog and got
tail: invalid option -- /

so I tried tail -f var/log/syslog and got
tail: cannot open 'var/log/syslog' for reading: No such file or directory

got the same message when I tried "tail -f var/log" and "tail -f var"

So I checked the file structure...there is a text file called "syslog" in the /var/log subdirectory, and it appears to be a running log of all the stuff that hasn't worked for the past 2 weeks.

Did both of the network settings you mentioned -- still no connection.

So I went to the Ubuntu link...here's where it get's interesting.

Their instructions for troubleshooting wireless problems start with: "Check for Device Recognition. Open Device Manager (System ? Preferences ? Hardware Information)."

Under System => Preferences, I don't have a "Hardware" option of any sort. Under System => Administration I have a "Hardware Drivers" option...and that says Device Driver "wl" is enabled and in use.

Their next step tells me to check for driver: "Open a Terminal (Applications ? Accessories ? Terminal) and type the command: sudo lshw -C network"

That returns this: sudo: lshw: command not found

From there, I basically cannot continue down their checklist, because I fail steps 1 and 2. Should I be worried that I'm missing a menu item in the Preferences and that a system command does not work? Do I need to reinstall the OS...or send the mini back to dell?

Thanks all! Giving this one more day and then I'm done.

-Dan
  (#16) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 Wired and wireless not working - 02-13-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmarycap
From there, I basically cannot continue down their checklist, because I fail steps 1 and 2. Should I be worried that I'm missing a menu item in the Preferences and that a system command does not work? Do I need to reinstall the OS...or send the mini back to dell?
Don't be worried. Dell have edited some of the applications installed in their custom Ubuntu. For some reason, they decided to leave out lshw (you can install it with sudo apt-get install lshw - but only if you have internet access).

That trouble-shooting detail is not relevant to you: both devices are recognised; your driver is installed for both wifi and wireless; you fail on the check DNS stage, but not because of a DNS resolution or ipv6 issue.

You do not need to reinstall Ubuntu. Based on the responses, Ubuntu is working exactly as it should: it acquires an IP; it pings the router; it connects to the router setup page. That is all that it should do. The router is supposed to enable that connection access to the internet.

As I said earlier, this is a problem or idiosyncrasy of your modem-router (or probably router settings). If you want to check - try the Mini out on another (normal) network.
  (#17) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 Wired and wireless not working - 02-18-2009, 08:28 PM

After a long and frustrating weekend...still no connection to the outside world...I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my Dell mini9 last night. After 3 weeks of trying (without success) to get wired or wireless internet access using the Dell version of 8.04, it was sheer joy to plug the ethernet cable into the mini9 and "bam" I was connected to the internet. I tried to establish a wireless connection and could not...but figured I'd stick with the wired connection through the system updates, network printing and file sharing set-up, etc.

I reconnected the ethernet cable and downloaded a LOT of updates, installed, rebooted and cannot get a wired connection. I configured the PPPoE settings so they're the same as my WinXP desktop...no joy.

I'm beginning to seriously suspect the Westell 327w (Verizon DSL) router/modem combo as the source of all (well, OK, most) evil.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions...Verizon DSL, Dell mini9, Ubuntu 8.10, no wired or wireless connection.

Thanks!

-dan
  (#18) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 Wired and wireless not working - 02-23-2009, 04:33 PM

Your posts are kind of confusing, obfuscating the real problem. If you can connect to and view the 327's config page, perhaps you are just having a DNS problem. Have you tried to enter web addresses into the browser as IP numbers instead of FQDN's?

Try this in Firefox (after confirming you are connected to the router via config page): http://74.125.19.99/

Also, I am running 8.04 on a Dell Mini and am fairly familiar with the 327W as I have one at work and at home. That said, I couldn't for the life of me get my Mini to connect, static or DHCP with either, using either the standard Network Manager or WICD (which is what I currently run, and recommend over NM). Finally, I got it to connect using the command line:

ps aux | grep "dhclient"
sudo kill -13 <process id# from above>
sudo iwconfig eth1 essid <name of unsecured wireless network> mode managed
sudo dhclient eth1

Give that a shot, and see if you can pull up any webpages. If you get nothing, try the Google IP from above and see if loads that way.

Good Luck!
  (#19) Old

Default Re: Mini 9 Wired and wireless not working - 03-10-2009, 03:12 PM

been waiting for Verizon FiOS to be installed before doing any more trouble-shooting. So, yesterday, they hauled away the DSL modem and we now have FiOS! Sweet!

I can connect with a wireless connection, but not simply. Hoping somebody has a solution.

The mini9 autodetects my home network and connects to it, but attempting to access the internet once the pop-up window says "you are now connected to xxxxx" leads to an error in Firefox -- no connection. I found that if I go to terminal and type sudo dhclient, let that run and switch back to Firefox, the connection works fine.

However, if I put the mini9 in standby, or it goes to sleep, on restore I no longer have a connection and must go back to terminal and do sudo dhclient.

Here's what I actually see on the screen...anyone know what command(s) will resolve this permanently so my wife and daughter can easily access the internet with entering terminal commands?

Thanks! Dan

xxxxx@xxxxx-laptop:~$ sudo dhclient
[sudo] password for xxxxx:
There is already a pid file /var/run/dhclient.pid with pid 11750
killed old client process, removed PID file
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.1
Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth1/00:23:08:46:82:55
Sending on LPF/eth1/00:23:08:46:82:55
Listening on LPF/eth0/00:21:70:d1:05:e6
Sending on LPF/eth0/00:21:70:d1:05:e6
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 6
DHCPREQUEST of 192.168.1.4 on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK of 192.168.1.4 from 192.168.1.1
bound to 192.168.1.4 -- renewal in 38014 seconds.
xxxxx@xxxxx-laptop:~$